Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mardyke Arena Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Thanks :) I know once I start going regularly I'll like it, I'm always bad when it comes to starting things!:p

have you went yet? it has been awhile since you posted this. let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

shane9689 wrote: »
    have you went yet? it has been awhile since you posted this. let us know how you get on.

I've had to go to the physio with my back since I posted and have some stuff realigned :( So I won't be going next week either I'd say, definitely the week after though!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

What's the deal with the athletics track? Can you just go and yano run any time? Cause that seems so much more fun than just going on a treadmill

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

What's the deal with the athletics track? Can you just go and yano run any time? Cause that seems so much more fun than just going on a treadmill
    As far as I know it's open all the time, the sprinting track inside is open most of the time too!

just dont be a douche and act stupid on the track. its really annoying when youre trying to do sprints and theres idiots who think "anyone can run" and just stand half way between 2 tracks stretching doing nothing for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

shane9689 wrote: »
    just dont be a douche and act stupid on the track. its really annoying when youre trying to do sprints and theres idiots who think "anyone can run" and just stand half way between 2 tracks stretching doing nothing for ages

I wasn't planning on doing that no but I think I will now just to annoy you.

I wasn't planning on doing that no but I think I will now just to annoy you.

go ahead, but you might want to move when someone shouts "track".

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

what are the gym opening hours?? can't find them anywhere :/

123 LC wrote: »
    what are the gym opening hours?? can't find them anywhere :/
    Think it's 7am to 10:30pm, not 100% sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

thanks, is it open sundays?

• Advertisement

it closes early on weekends. at 7 or 8pm i think

Don't think it opens as early either, could be 9/10 maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The swimming pool closes at seven on the weekends so the Gym will likely be around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Monday to Friday 7.00am - 10.30pm
    Saturday 9.00am - 7.00pm
    Sunday 10.00am - 7.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Is there anything stopping a non-member (but UCC graduate :)) from using the track?

Is there anything stopping a non-member (but UCC graduate :)) from using the track?

Na, the gate is always open.

Do they do guest passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Slow And One Sided

Only thing the place is missing is a jacuzzi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Is it just me or is the weights room constantly busy this year so far? The wait for the racks can be ridiculous. What times do ye find are the quietest?

its always like that. try go at odd times such as 10pm, 7am or 3pm. other times are really busy.

• Advertisement

also train weekends more so than weekdays, usually quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

What's the male to female ratio like in the weights room roughly speaking? Just out of interest!

_meehan_ wrote: »
    What's the male to female ratio like in the weights room roughly speaking? Just out of interest!

Very male dominated. From my own observations, you're looking at 85:15.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Very male dominated. From my own observations, you're looking at 85:15.

more like 90:10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

91 - 9 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Is it just me or is the weights room constantly busy this year so far? The wait for the racks can be ridiculous. What times do ye find are the quietest?

everyone I`ve talked to about it has been giving out about the wait- just today saw a guy finish his rep on the chin-ups then hold the machine for 5 mins while he rested- they`ve made a total joke of things with that squad training section and throwing machines up in the cardio section as well. Probably the worst run 10 million euro building in Ireland lol.

Dave47 wrote: »
    everyone I`ve talked to about it has been giving out about the wait- just today saw a guy finish his rep on the chin-ups then hold the machine for 5 mins while he rested- they`ve made a total joke of things with that squad training section and throwing machines up in the cardio section as well. Probably the worst run 10 million euro building in Ireland lol.

I see stuff like that there too often. I'll always ask to work in with other guys but even that's not an option sometimes as there's people waiting in front of me. I think a lot of people are afraid to ask if they can work in with someone they don't know. Maybe some signs instructing people to do so would be a good idea. It's not an ideal solution but it'd speed things up anyway.

I see stuff like that there too often. I'll always ask to work in with other guys but even that's not an option sometimes as there's people waiting in front of me. I think a lot of people are afraid to ask if they can work in with someone they don't know. Maybe some signs instructing people to do so would be a good idea. It's not an ideal solution but it'd speed things up anyway.

yea- also im talkin about the machines even, i know the weights room is much worse. Theres a lot of big guys doing the machines whom id assume would much prefer the weights.

jaysus some shocking form on the weights this month- you'd think the instructors would step in before one of the noobs has a serious injury- that's january for ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 KingaC1401

can a person that's not in UCC use the mardyke gym without having a membership? like just by paying for the day or something

Advertisement