Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mardyke Arena Discussion Thread

• 18-10-2011 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

No harm to set up a topic on this!! A place for good discussion..Hopefully the mods might put it at the top of the UCC topic page (I cant rememeber what that is called). When can students park in the car park again...Anyone know when it will be fully completed and when will the running track be fully open. The new showers by the pool...I dont like them..is it just me?? Cant they be made hotter or colder at all??? Hopefully this can be a good place for peoples views on the Mardyke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've only started using the pool facilities this year so I'm assuming you mean the showers right by the pool? I've found some are cold others are a lot warmer though, just seems to be luck of the draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Cork is set for a jobs boost with the announcement from the Mardyke Arena UCC of details of its €10m development due to begin in the New Year. The Mardyke Arena University College Cork has announced details of a major Phase 3 Development which will see almost 40,000 square feet added to the Arena in 2011.

The project which is due to commence at the end of February 2011 is valued at €10m and at the height of the ten-month construction period, is set to provide up to 100 jobs in the construction industry.

The development will involve the demolition of the existing viewing stand along with the existing changing rooms underneath the stand. A three floor extension will be constructed and when complete the new development, which represents the very best in modern design and construction, will contribute to a truly world class facility at the Mardyke.

Included in the new facilities will be an indoor running track; hydro therapy pools; dance fitness studios; 60 tiered seated team meeting room; martial arts studio; physiotherapy/wellness centre and new changing rooms.

An extensive flood protection defence will be incorporated into the development. The Arena which currently employs up to 70 staff will see this number increase on completion of the new facilities.

The company Mardyke Leisure (UCC) Ltd, the Arena management company, are the project developers and the design team also includes University College Cork; Wilson Architecture; JODA Engineering Consultants; Cantwell Keogh & Associates Fire Safety Consultants and Quantity Surveyors Davis Langdon PKS.

The completed development is due to be handed over to Mardyke Leisure (UCC) Ltd the week beginning 19 December 2011. The development was officially launched today (Thursday) by the President of University College Cork, Dr Michael Murphy, at a reception in the Mardyke Arena UCC.

This is from the Cork Independent last December and says the whole lot will be open in December but I suppose you could add on a month or two for a conservative estimate to allow for delays in construction.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've stickied it and fixed your spelling mistake OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've only started using the pool facilities this year so I'm assuming you mean the showers right by the pool? I've found some are cold others are a lot warmer though, just seems to be luck of the draw!

No not right by the pool. There is new ones with cubicles. When you walk into the pool area they would be on the right hand side.

I've stickied it and fixed your spelling mistake OP!
    What was my spelling mistake. I cant remember as I usually make so many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

closeline wrote: »
    What was my spelling mistake. I cant remember as I usually make so many.

Marydke

Ok thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bonez025

My coat was taken today from the mardyke. It was in the first male locker room, on top of the lockers. Just hoping if someone took it they might see it here. Its black with a bit of blue stitching.

PM me if you see it somewhere, or have it(hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Good luck with it. Hope you get it back. What are they doing outside the Mardyke now. Is it just putting down bricks. Anyone know when the indoor running track will be finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Fair play to the person who returned the fencing sword to the armoury cupboard in the third hall. Thought it was gone for good, thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

When will this be finished for roughly? I see that are constructing a new wall around it, presumably for the flood defence?

On a side note, anyone come across the ranting old man in the sauna from around 9-11 every morning? He is some hero!

When will this be finished for roughly? I see that are constructing a new wall around it, presumably for the flood defence?

On a side note, anyone come across the ranting old man in the sauna from around 9-11 every morning? He is some hero!

I know who you are talking about. Wouldnt say he is a hero. More like a pain in the hole!!! :mad:

I know who you are talking about. Wouldnt say he is a hero. More like a pain in the hole!!! :mad:

Haha did he bully you? Challenge you to a race in the pool? Lighten up man. He is hilarious with some of the stuff he comes up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I'd genuinely love to go but to be honest I have a notion about gym etiquette, asides from common sense is there anything I should know going for my first time ?

Haha did he bully you? Challenge you to a race in the pool? Lighten up man. He is hilarious with some of the stuff he comes up with!

Haha..it is hilarious actually to hear him speaking.Also hilariously to see the people he is talking to eventually try to ignore him. Its gas but can be incredibly annoying at times when you are trying to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I'd genuinely love to go but to be honest I have a notion about gym etiquette, asides from common sense is there anything I should know going for my first time ?

Bring a towel, a lot of people forget.

Haha..it is hilarious actually to hear him speaking.Also hilariously to see the people he is talking to eventually try to ignore him. Its gas but can be incredibly annoying at times when you are trying to relax.
    DON'T make eye contact with him anways! And if he asks you what course you do say computer science, he has a great rant on how the computer is the devils machine and we're all going to hell!

Did anyone see the new part of the gym yet(old womens gym).Heard it it meant to be nice.

DON'T make eye contact with him anways! And if he asks you what course you do say computer science, he has a great rant on how the computer is the devils machine and we're all going to hell!

Did anyone see the new part of the gym yet(old womens gym).Heard it it meant to be nice.

Ha gas stuff. I thought the whole thing was meant to be finished by now. Are they after falling behind or what??

The new CV gym is very nice, seriously impressed with the fact they updated all the machines, at least they're spending our money on changes/updates instead of just keeping it for profit :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    The new CV gym is very nice, seriously impressed with the fact they updated all the machines, at least they're spending our money on changes/updates instead of just keeping it for profit :)

What you mean by CV?? Obiously not Curriculum Vitae ha!!

• Advertisement

What you mean by CV?? Obiously not Curriculum Vitae ha!!

Cardio Vascular

Cardio Vascular

Where is this? Is it open?

Where is this? Is it open?

I don't know, but the old one used be on the first floor I think!

It's where the ladies Gym was I think, but incase you don't know where that is, When you're walking into the Gym reception, there's bikes on a first floor walkway above the desk, If you walk along that walk way it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

is the current CV area only temporary? i had a look up at the old one yesterday and it seems they are just installing new machines there. which leads me to think that the womens gym will be womens only again soon?

i think its unfair they get their own. especially when the weights room is far too small to facilitate all the patrons. i was hoping they'd have a larger weights zone after all this renovations :(

EyeSight wrote: »
    is the current CV area only temporary? i had a look up at the old one yesterday and it seems they are just installing new machines there. which leads me to think that the womens gym will be womens only again soon?

i think its unfair they get their own. especially when the weights room is far too small to facilitate all the patrons. i was hoping they'd have a larger weights zone after all this renovations :(

I hope it is - a lot of women would be put off going into the previous CV gym, and there were a large number of womens circuit classes above the ladies only gym, which was perfectly suited to it. I can see why you'd think it is unfair, but I don't think so - not when you consider those circuit sessions that are run their for older women more than younger women tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I hope it is - a lot of women would be put off going into the previous CV gym, and there were a large number of womens circuit classes above the ladies only gym, which was perfectly suited to it. I can see why you'd think it is unfair, but I don't think so - not when you consider those circuit sessions that are run their for older women more than younger women tbh

Where is the mans gym? What about the Men put off going into the CV gym? I don't think that it is fair that one group should get their own CV gym. Unless of course they were paying extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I was hoping there would be a larger free weights area as result of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

no offence(i really don't want to come off as angry), but if some women are too self conscious to go to a mixed gym, then its their tough luck. as a man, i was very intimidated starting out at a gym back when i was 18, but its just one of those things you've to get on with. and as a regular user i can assure you that most people don't care who is around them, unless they're in their way and not adhering to gym etiquette.

there are tonnes of studio rooms for women only classes. they pay the same as the men. if there was a man only gym and not a woman only gym, it would be deemed sexist and probably be brought to court. i just think it's a double standard. And i really wouldn't care, its just, one CV gym seems to be big enough for both sexes, yet the weights area is far too small for the amount that use it. if you go to the weights area anytime after 12/1pm its not even worth going because you spend more time waiting around than working out

• Advertisement

I hope the men dont get a gym to themseleves. Why would I want that to be looking at other men all day?? Much better when the women are exercising in there too.

Advertisement