Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome sans fonts are all jacked up

• 10-10-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Operating system: Ubuntu Mint Ed^C^C^C Mint Linux 11.
    uname -a: Linux tehlaptop 2.6.38-11-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 12 21:18:14 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Browser version: 16.0.899.0 dev
    Window manager: Openbox 3.4.11.2

Okay, this is a real head-scratcher on my part. When I started Google Chrome this morning, all sans fonts within the browser were displayed bolded. This is true for both GUI elements and actual rendered pages. I've worked through a methodical series of steps to try and remedy this problem:
    1. Check default font settings in Google Chrome and confirmed that my sans font wasn't bolded.
    2. Manually changed all of my font families in Google Chrome to use the Droid* fonts (see screenshot, below).
    3. Disabled, and then removed all extensions.
    4. Deleted my .config/google-chrome folder.
    5. Launched the browser in Incognito mode.
    6. Confirmed my system-wide font selections and GTK theme using gtk-chtheme.
    7. Utterly purge Google Chrome from my system and make a fresh installation.
    8. Booted into Windows to confirm that this is only a Linux problem (it is).
    9. Accessed other GTK applications - no problems there.
    10. Search Google for any mention of this being a new bug or recurring problem. It is neither that I can see.
    11. Checked my zoom in case I had accidentally zoomed in (I haven't)

Below are a couple of screenshots - click to view a larger size:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

No other solution presented itself in twenty four hours of trying, so I resorted to the nuclear option: rsync /home into my backup and reinstall Mint Linux. Took fifteen minutes to get my laptop back up and running. I'm still completely at a loss to explain what may have caused this.

Advertisement