Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mardyke Arena Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

KingaC1401 wrote: »
    can a person that's not in UCC use the mardyke gym without having a membership? like just by paying for the day or something

For classes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 merkal

are fitness classes included in the student membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

KingaC1401 wrote: »
    can a person that's not in UCC use the mardyke gym without having a membership? like just by paying for the day or something

You can get a guest pass for €10 or something, but I think you need to be with a friend... I guess if you've paid for a course they'd probably let you in alright though?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Can UCC students use the gym just during term or all year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

shawki wrote: »
    Can UCC students use the gym just during term or all year?

All year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 runitfaster

I'm wondering when membership expires? I'm graduating this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It says on their website that membership expires one year after you graduate .

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

October of the year you graduate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Guys, has anyone else noticed how bad the main gym area smells :(?? It is worst in the area where all the blue mats are, where most people do core excercises. I mean its seriously bad, could they not do something about it? Fair enough its a gym and people obviously sweat there but it will def put people off attending if its not fixed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Is it usually this insanely busy? Queue of 40+ people going through gates. Gave up and went home.

8:30pm

Any other nights or times not so crazy?

• Advertisement

I haven't found a quiet time yet . Swim lanes always full , gym is always packed ..
    Friday morning wasn't too bad last week .

Anyone know the best times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Guys, has anyone else noticed how bad the main gym area smells :(?? It is worst in the area where all the blue mats are, where most people do core excercises. I mean its seriously bad, could they not do something about it? Fair enough its a gym and people obviously sweat there but it will def put people off attending if its not fixed,

Lot of the treadmills are off level, bikes are broken and a few other machines have been out of order quite a while. This is all totally natural considering the contract from UCC for this private company is none-performance based- they just run the gym and UCC pays for it. If the gym was private members only they would hemorrhage cash.

The place is gone downhill rapidly in the space of 12 months. I know quiet a lot of people taking up other gym memberships even though they have free membership in the dyke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What gyms are worth signing up for in Cork these days. I'm not sure that I could deal with that level of busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi,

I'm a girl and feel really intimidated when I go down stairs to use free weights. The place is full of lads lifting huge weights and acting all macho. Anyway the story is I got a new pre season program for camogie and need to use weights so was hoping someone could tell me when the quietest time would be. Can you use a studio if there is no class on? Can you use squad gym if there is no team in there? thanks

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a girl and feel really intimidated when I go down stairs to use free weights. The place is full of lads lifting huge weights and acting all macho. Anyway the story is I got a new pre season program for camogie and need to use weights so was hoping someone could tell me when the quietest time would be. Can you use a studio if there is no class on? Can you use squad gym if there is no team in there? thanks

Even though I am male, I am only a begginer and also feel intimidated sometimes :P

Friday mornings are quiet I think.
    Gym wasn't busy this morning anyway .

There seems to be no real quiet times though . Monday and Wednesday are supposed to be the busiest I heard .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

There are also enough weights and machines upstairs too. You could also contact athletics society they do circuits and strength work- former would be especially ideal for you. Yeah the guys downstairs have gotten a little ridiculous, more guys on roids than there ever was last year :P

The amount of whey protein I see being used is just ridiculous to be honest .

Also the climbing wall is great . I climbed with a friend this morning and it's great .
    I Would advise giving it a try if you guys haven't already .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I never had a problem using upstairs it just we have a specific 12 week program now for preseason so need to use downstairs weights and benches etc. but hate doing it infront of loads of lads hence was wondering when the quietest time was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I never had a problem using upstairs it just we have a specific 12 week program now for preseason so need to use downstairs weights and benches etc. but hate doing it infront of loads of lads hence was wondering when the quietest time was!

Honestly, they won't even notice you. They're too focused on their own work. Can definitely understand how it's intimidating but don't let it get in the way of your own prep :)

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Even though I am male, I am only a begginer and also feel intimidated sometimes :P

Friday mornings are quiet I think.
    Gym wasn't busy this morning anyway .

There seems to be no real quiet times though . Monday and Wednesday are supposed to be the busiest I heard .

Do you even lift bro?

If ye want a quiet time in the gym , to be honest you just have to be there before 9am, simple as that! it opens at 7am and I,m usually there before 8 midweek and its ideal for a workout if your willing to get up that early. Other than that , forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I haven't been to the gym in my three years at UCC. I feel like I should change that and give it a whirl. Anyone have any suggestions for good times to go? Weekends are an option also! Or has anyone attended any classes and found them good? I'm useless at motivating myself.

I went today and there was only one free tread mill . Can people just give up their New Years resolutions already :P

I went today and there was only one free tread mill . Can people just give up their New Years resolutions already :P

Is this directed towards me? :confused:

Nope , the people clogging up the gym .

Nope , the people clogging up the gym .

Okay, didn't realise the gym was so crowded although I know a few newbies who have started going this month when I think more about it. I'm not really sure what my objective is at present, just miss the physical activity that dominated my life up until two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

There's an overflow gym they open across from the men's changing room upstairs that they open when the other one get's too packed

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Was doing my 8k run on a treadmill in the mardyke recently and was flicking through my music library on me phone, had a staff member come up and tell me stop using my phone whilst i run! I was like like wtf??

Apparently no phones allowed on the cardio machine's. I almost told her to f*ck off to be honest. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, probably because some clown took a hopper off a machine whilst using a phone before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Was doing my 8k run on a treadmill in the mardyke recently and was flicking through my music library on me phone, had a staff member come up and tell me stop using my phone whilst i run! I was like like wtf??

Apparently no phones allowed on the cardio machine's. I almost told her to f*ck off to be honest. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, probably because some clown took a hopper off a machine whilst using a phone before..

Never had any problem like that before, but then again i'd leave my phone on that small shelf in front of the screen. If you're fiddling with it while you're running fast then it might be possible to trip up

• Advertisement

You are allowed use music but once you are in there you can't use your phone to call anyone or receive a call . I have seen staff members confront people about this .

Advertisement