Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tax issue

• 06-11-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

My friend just got a message from her ex employer, saying that the employer prior to him underpaid the tax by a large amount. What's the deal here, does my friend owe the money or does her previous employer? obviously she will be onto tax office tomorrow, but is there anything I can advise her?
    She was hired a few wks ago to new job, left previous position specifically, however the new boss is having business problems so let her go to cut costs. She is now unemployed and owed 3 wks wages

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

thalia_13 wrote: »
    My friend just got a message from her ex employer, saying that the employer prior to him underpaid the tax by a large amount. What's the deal here, does my friend owe the money or does her previous employer? obviously she will be onto tax office tomorrow, but is there anything I can advise her?
    She was hired a few wks ago to new job, left previous position specifically, however the new boss is having business problems so let her go to cut costs. She is now unemployed and owed 3 wks wages

She owes the tax i.e. PAYE/USC/PRSI

Her best bet is to talk to Revenue and sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Super, thats ok, her boss was saying otherwise, but I remember getting my P21? Balancing forms years ago and I owed on not being taxed correctly. Just needed to confirm I wasnt giving her bad info before she went in tomorrow.
    Thanks for replying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

It's very unlikely that an employer could tell whether a previous employer deducted the correct tax, without knowing every change in an employee tax credits and cutoffs for the year.

In any event they are responsible for tax based on their employment only, and should only apply the cumulative tax basis once advised by Revenue, which should include details of previous pay, tax and USC.

Is the most recent employer using this alleged tax underpayment as a basis for withholding those three weeks wages?

IF there was an underpayment, Revenue will handle it at year end, and if she's now unemployed it may have balanced out by the end of the year.

One thing I would advise is to check her payslips from the first employer and ensure the totals match up with the P45 she was given i. e. all the tax deducted was remitted to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

If she did underpay she does owe the money to revenue.

It happened to me a few years ago but revenue are very understanding and when i had to pay it back they adjusted my tax credits so that i could pay it back over the next 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Mmmm...sounds dodgy, is the recent employer saying their holding out on her owed wages due to a former employers tax issue..nothing to do with recent employer, she needs to tell them this and pay up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Her wages are nothing to do with the tax and if the employer is trying to hold out on them claiming it's about tax, this is very dodgy.
    Get the money off the employer and separately talk to revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Thanks everyone, i advised her to your answers, and hopefully it will all be remedied asap. Most recent employer is very dodgy indeed from more information she has since yesterday.

Your help has been much appreciated

Advertisement