Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you "have" to further yourself in work?

• 27-10-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

So a number of positions came up in the past few months in the office and at least 2 of these positions I would be well qualified for and have a great chance. The boss even sent out emails to the groups saying people should consider applying but I think this is just something bosses are obliged to do and they dont really care if you do or dont get it.

I was asked about one position in particular which would be greater responsibility and more money, but when the boss brought it up with me, I just said I wont bother because "I probably wont get it, the politics here mean you hire who you want and not who should get it"m he looked bemused and he hasnt mentioned it since but is it really a sin to NOT want to apply for higher positions? I think they are usually just a waste and a chance for a boss to get his or her buddy up the ladder?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's a sin in that you show yourself to be lacking in ambition and common sense (especially with the comments to your boss).

If I was you, I'd expect worse coming down the tracks (e.g. being "managed out").

With the greatest respect, who wants to employ someone with your attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Can you really not see how inappropriate your response was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Can you really not see how inappropriate your response was?

Em, not really to be perfectly fair. I had a good look at the job spec for the 2 promotions and, with my experience, I would be well able for it. But office politics usually mean these jobs are created for a desired person rather than most qualified etc. Im not really sure where the bad attitude comes from. It wouldnt be unambitious to not turn down extra hours in my view. Plus my boss when coming to me and saying he was surprised I didnt apply was a bit false, he probably knows who ends up getting the job, these promotions always go like that in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's considered a little odd if you're happy to do the same thing for the rest of your life and not be eager to get your teeth into more challenging work.

That said, most people recognise that taking a management position and/or taking a position that involves lots of overtime have many positives and negatives. Even though they involve more money, they also involve unsocial hours, seeing less of friends and family, and maybe even moving away from the enjoyable work into more administrative work.

But in general if you have the opportunity to take a non-management role that involves more money and a greater level of responsibility, most people will find it weird if someone isn't interested.

It depends on the work environment, but your attitude towards promotions is in my experience not entirely correct. Yes, if presented with two candidates for a position and one is best mates with the manager who's hiring, then they'll get it. But companies in general like to hire from within. An internal hire is way cheaper and more effective - chances are they can practically do the job already with minimal coaching, they know the processes and the culture of the company, and assuming they're halfway competent it means the company can be assured that the employee isn't going to leave in the medium-term.
    External hires who are good mates with the interviewers is quite heavily frowned upon, not least because you may end up having to fire your best mate when he's crap, but also because most companies don't want to be seen to obviously allowing nepotism.
    It'll happen all the time in small companies, but a lot less obviously so in larger companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about being promoted there in the future.

• Advertisement

Em, not really to be perfectly fair. I had a good look at the job spec for the 2 promotions and, with my experience, I would be well able for it. But office politics usually mean these jobs are created for a desired person rather than most qualified etc. Im not really sure where the bad attitude comes from. It wouldnt be unambitious to not turn down extra hours in my view. Plus my boss when coming to me and saying he was surprised I didnt apply was a bit false, he probably knows who ends up getting the job, these promotions always go like that in the end!
    Do you not realise that you've basically accused your boss of nepotism and only hiring his mates - i.e. you've just accused your boss of being corrupt and incompetent.

If you find your work life turning to crap in the coming weeks, you'll have only yourself to blame tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So your boss was nice enough to discuss a promotional opportunity with you and you accuse him and the hiring process of being corrupt?

As some of the other guys have already said, I can't see you having to worry about promotions in future.

What an awful attitude to have.

To clarify, I didnt outright tell him he was an awful boss etc I just said theres no point in going for it because the politics here mean often the right person gets overlooked and he just looked puzzled and left it at that, cant see whats wrong with what I said? i dont understand when people say I should be "managed out". I have been there over 4 years now so I have seen first hand when promotions come up that people are encouraged to go for it then they dont get it. Thats why I thought my boss was being false when bringing it up as he knows well who will get it over me.

I should say there are a lot of politics in the workplace, mine isnt different!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Don't even know how to respond to this. Your attitude is horrific. Yes they might have a person in mind, or might have a couple of people in mind and its up to yourself to convince them your the right person for the role.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never asked you about a promotion again or if you will ever get a wage rise again.

Don't even know how to respond to this. Your attitude is horrific. Yes they might have a person in mind, or might have a couple of people in mind and its up to yourself to convince them your the right person for the role.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never asked you about a promotion again or if you will ever get a wage rise again.

I dont agree with your comment on my attitude but the point of the thread is would it be usual to hold it against you to not seek promotion, it seems a lot of people think it would be. Its almost seen as a sin to say you will not seek it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'd say fair play to you for having the balls to say it to him, you alone know what politics are involved with promotions in the company. If you wish to move up maybe look into changing job, if not don't antagonise management too much.

Let's put it this way; the company are under no obligation to advertise new positions internally. If they knew who they wanted to promote, they would just promote them and be done with it.

Why would they go to the trouble and waste of holding a beauty contest when they've already picked the winner?

The answer is they haven't. Yes, they might have some preferred candidates, but some people who look good on paper can give awful interviews, and likewise people who otherwise seem a bit bleh can surprise you at interview and really impress.

Being encouraged to go for a job and then not getting it, doesn't mean that the thing was rigged. You don't have the same visibility that management do; you don't know how they performed in the interview, you don't know the details of their work performance, etc.

It sounds to me like you're afraid to interview and you've convinced yourself that it's a waste of your time so you can tell yourself that's why you're not going for it.

So a number of positions came up in the past few months in the office

I was asked about one position in particular which would be greater responsibility and more money, but when the boss brought it up with me, I just said I wont bother because "I probably wont get it, the politics here mean you hire who you want and not who should get it"m he looked bemused and he hasnt mentioned it since.
    I dont agree with your comment on my attitude but the point of the thread is would it be usual to hold it against you to not seek promotion, it seems a lot of people think it would be. Its almost seen as a sin to say you will not seek it..

No if you don't want to go for a promotion you don't have to. But saying to your boss I probably wont get it, the politics here mean you hire who you want and not who should get it" is just idiotic. No other word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Even if that was the case, why say it? Making a rod for your own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It looks like you were that person but you just office politic'ed yourself out of a promotion. Hard luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was asked about one position in particular which would be greater responsibility and more money, but when the boss brought it up with me, I just said I wont bother because "I probably wont get it, the politics here mean you hire who you want and not who should get it"m he looked bemused and he hasnt mentioned it since but is it really a sin to NOT want to apply for higher positions? I think they are usually just a waste and a chance for a boss to get his or her buddy up the ladder?

Jazus! There is a hell of a difference between not being interested in the position and accusing you boss of underhand ness! Do you not see this!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The problem is that you went way beyond simply indicating that you were no interested in the job, you accused your boss of being dishonest! If he accused you of being dishonest how would you feel?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The problem is that you went way beyond simply indicating that you were no interested in the job, you accused your boss of being dishonest! If he accused you of being dishonest how would you feel?

I didn't accuse him it was more the system is set up that when these jobs are announced they really only want a certain person to get it so that's why I was annoyed when he was encouraging me to apply because it was just false.

I didn't accuse him it was more the system is set up that when these jobs are announced they really only want a certain person to get it so that's why I was annoyed when he was encouraging me to apply because it was just false.

What do you mean by a certain person? Why wouldn't they consider you?

Because when positions like that have been announced before I have never agreed with the person who got it in the end there was usually a lot to be desired hence the whole process is a bit silly in my eyes. It shouldn't be held against an employee to not attend for interview!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Because when positions like that have been announced before I have never agreed with the person who got it in the end there was usually a lot to be desired hence the whole process is a bit silly in my eyes. It shouldn't be held against an employee to not attend for interview!

I applied for a promotion in an MNC ten months in and the world and his mother told me I wouldn't get it.

I did.

Even my manager told me it was unlikely, but I had a completely different attitude to you, was determined to beat the politics and prove myself, and got the job.

Your attitude stinks imo and does you no favours.

Maybe if you have a better attitude you might. Sorry for been blunt but from reading all your posts in this thread it seems you have a terrible work attitude. Especially saying what you did to your manager and I'm not surprised you havn't been put forward.

I got turned down for a promotion in work after a gruelling interview, aptitude tests, work scenarios setup. I said to my manager thanks for the opportunity and it was great experience which will benefit me. Six months down the line another role came up and I got it.

Things arn't handed to you on a plate, you work for them!

Maybe if you have a better attitude you might. Sorry for been blunt but from reading all your posts in this thread it seems you have a terrible work attitude. Especially saying what you did to your manager and I'm not surprised you havn't been put forward.

I got turned down for a promotion in work after a gruelling interview, aptitude tests, work scenarios setup. I said to my manager thanks for the opportunity and it was great experience which will benefit me. Six months down the line another role came up and I got it.

Things arn't handed to you on a plate, you work for them!

I think people might be missing the main point of the thread here, it was more a feeler for opinions on whether not applying for positions would work against you or is common. I really can't see anything wrong with what I said, would it not be worse if I applied, did the interview then was rejected as I knew from the start. Him suggesting I would be good for it is just hot air I can't understand why that is a bad attitude??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To answer your original question and ignoring your reply to your manager - there are plenty of people who are happy in their job, don't really want to progress and are happy with the status quo. Especially if being promoted means doing less of what they actually enjoy doing, spending more time away from their hobbies, families or whatever.

There isn't room for everyone to get promoted (without a lot of staff turnover), so there's a lot to be said for having the nine-to-fivers who will do a solid if not spectacular job.

But your reply doesn't imply that you're happy with what you're doing and don't want to do something else, so don't confuse why you may have received a negative response.
    Because when positions like that have been announced before I have never agreed with the person who got it in the end there was usually a lot to be desired hence the whole process is a bit silly in my eyes

The trick is to assume that the people in senior roles have access to more information than you when they make decisions, and you may not be aware of all the factors. If you still believe that their decisions are wrong, then you need to find another employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Whether you're going to get it or not apply anyway, show some form of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

f*ck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to further yourself but the way you express that should be more "I don't feel I'm right for that role, I'm very happy in my current position and feel I perform well here" and less "I can't be arsed because I won't get it anyway".

It's your attitude/approach that's the problem not your lack of desire for promotion.

I don't think I have alienated my colleagues at all in fact some of them feel the same way as me in that more often than not the wrong person gets the job. As for the boss he hasn't mentioned it since which is fine by me. I personally think its a complete waste to go through the interview process when you know the end result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fair play for speaking your mind op. Too much ball licking goes on these days. If what you said is your opinion and true then the boss could do with a few home truths. I'd admire the backbone and honesty if it was me, but I value honesty over everything. Many people don't.

I suppose I have a bad attitude too. I just consider myself a realist.

Advertisement