Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bassboot

Korean wrote: »
    mcko wrote: »
    Sad situation for all, same old story the bosses divide and rule.

Get off the stage Mcko... Unions have crippled so much progress in this country. You seem to pick the benefits from every other company and want to demand those for the Musgrave staff.... Take one look around at just how bad things could be and count your blessings. €46k for non skilled work? I get paid €35k for the last 3 years AFTER 4 years in college. I get nowhere near the terms and conditions. If people in my job got upset every time we introduced a new OS , I would be loaded. Call this bull**** what it is - a play for money. Oh wait, you have a fight on your hands because you already get paid too much. Makes me sick

Not doing too badly for yourself. A friend spent over ten years in college between degrees and phd's and doesn't make much more than you. The guys on the floor moving the tablets about in the boxes get more, much more. It must hurt you to know that someone who never had the opportunity of a college education can end up making more than you for unskilled work. That's the conceit of the college graduate, the appalled outlook that perhaps the acquisition of knowledge and 4 years of getting smashed wasn't as lucrative or rewarding as they'd hoped.

At least you can console yourself with the knowledge that heavy lifting in a cold environment will likely mean that most of the labourers will be crippled with arthritis and other injuries once they reach their 60's, while you'll still be a picture of good health sat at your desk. Which explains why the money is so good, you are mortgaging your future health to provide your family with a decent standard of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

bassboot wrote: »
    Not doing too badly for yourself. A friend spent over ten years in college between degrees and phd's and doesn't make much more than you. The guys on the floor moving the tablets about in the boxes get more, much more. It must hurt you to know that someone who never had the opportunity of a college education can end up making more than you for unskilled work. That's the conceit of the college graduate, the appalled outlook that perhaps the acquisition of knowledge and 4 years of getting smashed wasn't as lucrative or rewarding as they'd hoped.

At least you can console yourself with the knowledge that heavy lifting in a cold environment will likely mean that most of the labourers will be crippled with arthritis and other injuries once they reach their 60's, while you'll still be a picture of good health sat at your desk. Which explains why the money is so good, you are mortgaging your future health to provide your family with a decent standard of living.

Do you work there? You must love feeling sorry for yourself if you do.

I did work in cold storage distribution (not Musgraves) for a couple of years so I know exactly what's involved in the job and imo the second part of your post is utter nonsense.
    Don't get me wrong it's not an easy job, it's hard and you do earn your money but this "mortgaging your future health" is nonsense.

54kroc wrote: »

Do you work there? You must love feeling sorry for yourself if you do.

I did work in cold storage distribution (not Musgraves) for a couple of years so I know exactly what's involved in the job and imo the second part of your post is utter nonsense.
    Don't get me wrong it's not an easy job, it's hard and you do earn your money but this "mortgaging your future health" is nonsense.

Used to work there. I know that the job is physically demanding. Know a lot of the guys on the gate, and the guys who are working on the floor inside still. So you worked in cold storage for a few years and are thus in the know as to what this job entails? If you really haven't worked there then you know nothing. If you had worked there then you'd appreciate that doing that job at the pace the company is looking to implement will be simply unsustainable. You'd understand the physical effort involved and the potential for the long term deterioration in health.

So yeah, I am in a position to comment on the in's and out's of this. You seem happy to knock the strikers without any knowledge of what this dispute is all about. But if you think that a couple of years in a different set up gives you the right to deem my second point nonsense then you really are talking out of your arse. Perhaps you should refrain from making comments about stuff which you know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Korean

mcko wrote: »
    Sad situation for all, same old story the bosses divide and rule.

Get off the stage Mcko... Unions have crippled so much progress in this country. You seem to pick the benefits from every other company and want to demand those for the Musgrave staff.... Take one look around at just how bad things could be and count your blessings. €46k for non skilled work? I get paid €35k for the last 3 years AFTER 4 years in college. I get nowhere near the terms and conditions. If people in my job got upset every time we introduced a new OS , I would be loaded. Call this bull**** what it is - a play for money. Oh wait, you have a fight on your hands because you already get paid too much. Makes me sick

Assuming that I spent 4 years getting smashed proves how ignorance is guiding you. What you appear to be chasing is communism.... I thought we all agreed that communism wasn't a great idea. I suggest the strikers leave the company/country if they can find what they want elsewhere. I'm guessing they won't .

There are plenty of people ready, willing and able to do the job in Musgrave. Let them do it. Sacrificing your future health doesn't even bear a response it is such a stupid argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Used to work there. I know that the job is physically demanding. Know a lot of the guys on the gate, and the guys who are working on the floor inside still. So you worked in cold storage for a few years and are thus in the know as to what this job entails? If you really haven't worked there then you know nothing. If you had worked there then you'd appreciate that doing that job at the pace the company is looking to implement will be simply unsustainable. You'd understand the physical effort involved and the potential for the long term deterioration in health.

So yeah, I am in a position to comment on the in's and out's of this. You seem happy to knock the strikers without any knowledge of what this dispute is all about. But if you think that a couple of years in a different set up gives you the right to deem my second point nonsense then you really are talking out of your arse. Perhaps you should refrain from making comments about stuff which you know nothing about.

I think your the one doing that.

As I said I'm well aware how the job works, yes it's a physically demanding, fast paced job but you paid well to do it and nobody is forcing people to work there.

• Advertisement

As I said I'm well aware how the job works, yes it's a physically demanding, fast paced job but you paid well to do it and nobody is forcing people to work there.

Ah, the old 'Nobody is forcing you to work there. Shut your mouth and work on.' line. The lazy, smug cover all answer. You care to dispute the theory that lifting heavy product in a cold environment isn't going to be detrimental to your long term health? Or is your very limited experience in a chilled workplace your only argument? And you think I'm talking nonsense about the long term effect that such a job has on your health? Perhaps you should say this to guys whose backs are damaged and are laid out for 6 months. Many people working there long term will suffer repetitive stress injuries. Increasing the pace of the job will accentuate this. Your typically over simplistic solution of quitting marks you out as some sort of pro-HR type whose job it is to keep workers in their place doing more for as little as possible.

Ah, the old 'Nobody is forcing you to work there. Shut your mouth and work on.' line. The lazy, smug cover all answer. You care to dispute the theory that lifting heavy product in a cold environment isn't going to be detrimental to your long term health? Or is your very limited experience in a chilled workplace your only argument? And you think I'm talking nonsense about the long term effect that such a job has on your health? Perhaps you should say this to guys whose backs are damaged and are laid out for 6 months. Many people working there long term will suffer repetitive stress injuries. Increasing the pace of the job will accentuate this. Your typically over simplistic solution of quitting marks you out as some sort of pro-HR type whose job it is to keep workers in their place doing more for as little as possible.

You are just getting rediculous. If you are paid to do a job, then do it, get paid, go home and shut up. If you had a genuine reason to strike, then you would get a lot more support.

The health thing seems to be a big one for you, and despite its stupidity, I will respond. You say that I will be the picture of health in my 60s while all the poor warehouse workers will be crippled over in pain.... Maybe I should argue that I will have impaired vision from working at a computer all day. Maybe I will have bad posture and back problems from sitting in the wrong position for so long. Maybe the extra overtime I have to do unpaid will force bad eating habits and cause my obesity. All the while, the warehouse workers are getting exercise by walking around and being physical all day. Maybe I should go on strike to demand free gym membership because my poor fallen colleagues in Musgrave are getting the exercise I am not. Ah no, let's just wrap everyone up in cotton wool and shrink wrap because life (and the government) owes us a living.

You are the reason this country is screwed. I worked in a more demanding warehouse while in my 4 years of 'getting smashed' and got a lot less then, including nights. Seems to me like a paper pushing job in the civil service is what you need

Assuming that I spent 4 years getting smashed proves how ignorance is guiding you. What you appear to be chasing is communism.... I thought we all agreed that communism wasn't a great idea. I suggest the strikers leave the company/country if they can find what they want elsewhere. I'm guessing they won't .

There are plenty of people ready, willing and able to do the job in Musgrave. Let them do it. Sacrificing your future health doesn't even bear a response it is such a stupid argument

You were sickened at the thought of these workers getting paid more than you for doing unskilled work. I pointed out that pay in these types of job is high because of the physical difficulty of the work, the long, unsociable hours etc. Anyone doing this job long term is very likely to suffer from ailments associated with doing repetitive, heavy lifting in a cold workplace. And one of the issues in this dispute, if you haven't been paying attention, is how this technology will result in increased productivity. You will be doing more work in the same timeframe. Ergo the physical workload will increase on a daily/weekly/monthly yearly basis. And physiology being what it is, the body will fatigue quicker and be more susceptible to muscle tears, ruptures and long term physical distress. So yes, it is is fair to say that by doing this job long term you are mortgaging your future health. As someone else said in this thread, you can always quit. Or you can defend your position as best as you can. I know what I'd rather do if in their position. I don't expect them to get anywhere with their picket but good luck to them nonetheless.

Oh, and if you didn't get smashed in college then you really missed out. And still ended up getting less than these unskilled workers. No wonder you're sick......

You are just getting rediculous. If you are paid to do a job, then do it, get paid, go home and shut up. If you had a genuine reason to strike, then you would get a lot more support.

The health thing seems to be a big one for you, and despite its stupidity, I will respond. You say that I will be the picture of health in my 60s while all the poor warehouse workers will be crippled over in pain.... Maybe I should argue that I will have impaired vision from working at a computer all day. Maybe I will have bad posture and back problems from sitting in the wrong position for so long. Maybe the extra overtime I have to do unpaid will force bad eating habits and cause my obesity. All the while, the warehouse workers are getting exercise by walking around and being physical all day. Maybe I should go on strike to demand free gym membership because my poor fallen colleagues in Musgrave are getting the exercise I am not. Ah no, let's just wrap everyone up in cotton wool and shrink wrap because life (and the government) owes us a living.

You are the reason this country is screwed. I worked in a more demanding warehouse while in my 4 years of 'getting smashed' and got a lot less then, including nights. Seems to me like a paper pushing job in the civil service is what you need

Or you could come together with colleagues who are suffering similar issues as you and perhaps lobby management as a group to improve your working conditi.... oh wait, that would be communist.

As for the exercise argument, the work is too stop start to be of any benefit aerobically, you don't burn calories due to the stop start nature of the job and due to the marked difference in weight and shape of the product being moved, plus given the difficulty in getting the correct grip and purchase on the product it could hardly be as beneficial as a good gym workout.

If you have an issue with your work station perhaps you should report any issues to your health and safety officer. I'm sure they'll be only too happy to assess your posture at the desk and give some useful tips on improving it. Perhaps you'll even get a new, comfortable chair out of it!

I could say that it's people like you that have companies putting workers over a barrel and having their way, but ultimately we all have bills to pay and it's tough times for all. I've heard it myself on numerous occasions where I work, if you don't like it then leave. It's an effective way by management to bully staff and keep them down, there are very few jobs out there and people have to suck it up. The chill workers felt like they had to do this to defend their terms and conditions. It was a tough decision, and probably the wrong one. It is a well paying job and most of the staff are truly grateful for their lot. I don't think any of them expected it to go this far but they ended up outside and losing a lot of money. While I don't necessarily agree with their decision I respect it, and wish them well.

Or you could come together with colleagues who are suffering similar issues as you and perhaps lobby management as a group to improve your working conditi.... oh wait, that would be communist.

As for the exercise argument, the work is too stop start to be of any benefit aerobically, you don't burn calories due to the stop start nature of the job and due to the marked difference in weight and shape of the product being moved, plus the difficulty in getting the correct grip and purchase on the product it could hardly be as beneficial as a good gym workout.

If you have an issue with your work station perhaps you should report any issues to your health and safety officer. I'm sure they'll be only too happy to assess your posture at the desk and give some useful tips on improving it. Perhaps you'll even get a new, comfortable chair out of it!

Yes, I could try to gather my colleagues, although given that I shared some of your posts with them and they laughed at the thought (yes, we are working unpaid overtime on a Saturday) I don't think it would go very far. I think you need a dose of reality.

You miss my point on the chair - I'm very happy with my chair, but who is to say the long term impact won't cripple me?

The fact remains - the staff are well paid. They are not being mistreated. A few dozers are trying to milk what they can to make a point. It's like the people after the bust complaining that they are having trouble meeting the payments on their holiday homes in Portugal. You will find little sympathy other than from the other people who need the same dose of reality as you. Get over yourself. Get with the the times - I'm sure you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from

As to those who earn more than me for less input? I applaud them. I know plenty of them. I have better options and I am happy with that.

And, if I understand the events correctly this all started when training for a new system was being provided? Would it not make more sense to take the training and better yourself elsewhere? A cursory look at jobs online state that voice systems experience is essential. Maybe they could skill up and bigger off....

• Advertisement

Yes, I could try to gather my colleagues, although given that I shared some of your posts with them and they laughed at the thought (yes, we are working unpaid overtime on a Saturday) I don't think it would go very far. I think you need a dose of reality.

You miss my point on the chair - I'm very happy with my chair, but who is to say the long term impact won't cripple me?

The fact remains - the staff are well paid. They are not being mistreated. A few dozers are trying to milk what they can to make a point. It's like the people after the bust complaining that they are having trouble meeting the payments on their holiday homes in Portugal. You will find little sympathy other than from the other people who need the same dose of reality as you. Get over yourself. Get with the the times - I'm sure you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from

As to those who earn more than me for less input? I applaud them. I know plenty of them. I have better options and I am happy with that.

And, if I understand the events correctly this all started when training for a new system was being provided? Would it not make more sense to take the training and better yourself elsewhere? A cursory look at jobs online state that voice systems experience is essential. Maybe they could skill up and bigger off....

Indeed they could, but they'd be taking a massive pay cut! I genuinely didn't come on here to stir it up, I'm just trying (badly) to make people aware that there is far more issues about this than the ones being mentioned ie. more money and less weekends. As i mentioned in my edited post above I hear that 'Nobody is forcing you to work here' argument enough myself. Employers are using the recession to milk more and more out of their workers, as your unpaid Saturday work attests. If ye turned around and tried to get better terms then what would happen? I'd guess they'd have a queue around the corner to replace ye. It's a tough spot to be in, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge these guys because they tried to stand up for themselves. Wouldn't you if you had the opportunity?

.......... I get paid €35k for the last 3 years AFTER 4 years in college..........

That's no one's problem or otherwise but your own, nothing to do with the Musgrave folk.
    Jason1984 wrote: »
    €46k a year to move boxes, the reasons behind high prices on the shelfs has now become abundantly clear!

Working nights and weekends attracts a premium in many job, not so in other roles. No matter what you do for a living someone else can do it cheaper.

I've worked in numerous companies and the college qualified & office staff usually have an issue with the unskilled operators packages and remuneration.

Do you have an issue with the wages of the truck drivers too? They are paid much more than what the folks driving Stobert trucks are on for example.

Indeed they could, but they'd be taking a massive pay cut! I genuinely didn't come on here to stir it up, I'm just trying (badly) to make people aware that there is far more issues about this than the ones being mentioned ie. more money and less weekends. As i mentioned in my edited post above I hear that 'Nobody is forcing you to work here' argument enough myself. Employers are using the recession to milk more and more out of their workers, as your unpaid Saturday work attests. If ye turned around and tried to get better terms then what would happen? I'd guess they'd have a queue around the corner to replace ye. It's a tough spot to be in, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge these guys because they tried to stand up for themselves. Wouldn't you if you had the opportunity?

Very valid point. In fact, all we have done here is prove how emotion and opinion can cloud the real issues, so at least we agree on something.

I also agree that if I told my boss that if I wanted better pay and conditions he would tell me where to go. I guess the difference is I like my job, love what I contribute to, and I actually get paid a lot more than I need (if I ever buy my own house and have all the bills that go with that I may change that thought) .

It hits a nerve when I see what I can only describe as greed at a high level. It just looked like an excuse. Granted I don't know the background or understand the details, but at a high level it looks crazy

Very valid point. In fact, all we have done here is prove how emotion and opinion can cloud the real issues, so at least we agree on something.

I also agree that if I told my boss that if I wanted better pay and conditions he would tell me where to go. I guess the difference is I like my job, love what I contribute to, and I actually get paid a lot more than I need (if I ever buy my own house and have all the bills that go with that I may change that thought) .

It hits a nerve when I see what I can only describe as greed at a high level. It just looked like an excuse. Granted I don't know the background or understand the details, but at a high level it looks crazy

Yeah I've found myself getting dragged into it an awful lot more than I should be. Certain posts kinda set me off on one! Reading back I guess my reply to you was a tad over the top but you know yourself, you read something and emotions can cloud your opinions, no harm meant. But it's not my battle, and I'll leave it at this. I'd much rather argue about football in a bar on a Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 40plus

As a hard worker myself, my contract ended yesterday (a week earlier than expected but there you go) From some of the posts I have read Musgraves have very good pay, terms and conditions and I'm sure all who work there knew this and also knew that it was a very physical job when agreeing to take the position they were offered. Now after listening to the radio reports, newspapers and posts on this- this whole strike was about TWO DAYS difference between Dublin and Cork but everyone is jumping on the band wagon about how hard done by they are. Every job has its pros and cons. It is obvious some guys that stayed and went back felt it was a crazy demand in this day and age and more power to them. Easy solution to this problem is for the unhappy few outside the gate is to ask for a transfer to Dublin...Problem solved and those of us looking for work can avail of their positions!!

Yeah I've found myself getting dragged into it an awful lot more than I should be. Certain posts kinda set me off on one! Reading back I guess my reply to you was a tad over the top but you know yourself, you read something and emotions can cloud your opinions, no harm meant. But it's not my battle, and I'll leave it at this. I'd much rather argue about football in a bar on a Saturday!

I agree. More things to contribute to... A few cold ones will be waiting for me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've read the story a few times and I'm still trying to figure out what has caused enough of a grievance to lead to strike action. And I'm not an anti union, anti industrial action etc person at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

Are they gonna get their asses back to work ? Otherwise..is Musgrave taking on any CVs right now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 midmal30

gral6 wrote: »
    Are they gonna get their asses back to work ? Otherwise..is Musgrave taking on any CVs right now ?
    yes they are i work there they took on 30 last monday

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Sounds like your CV could just be a blank piece of paper from what folk are saying!!

That comment is spurred by the sort of nonsense regarding the nature of the work not being of physical benefit due to its stop start nature - what utter uninformed rubbish... Obviously so is my comment above!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 midmal30

40plus wrote: »
    As a hard worker myself, my contract ended yesterday (a week earlier than expected but there you go) From some of the posts I have read Musgraves have very good pay, terms and conditions and I'm sure all who work there knew this and also knew that it was a very physical job when agreeing to take the position they were offered. Now after listening to the radio reports, newspapers and posts on this- this whole strike was about TWO DAYS difference between Dublin and Cork but everyone is jumping on the band wagon about how hard done by they are. Every job has its pros and cons. It is obvious some guys that stayed and went back felt it was a crazy demand in this day and age and more power to them. Easy solution to this problem is for the unhappy few outside the gate is to ask for a transfer to Dublin...Problem solved and those of us looking for work can avail of their positions!!
    I work in the chill as a HDTM i get paid by the hour. there are about 100 involed in this dispute some came back to work plus some are long term sick who can not take part in the strike.ALSO may i say some did not go out on the picket line at all.There are about 20 to 30 ring leaders involed in this who were mad for a strike.There are plenty of lads who do not want to be out there at all but feel they are under pressure to stay from the ring leaders.One person was on the line came back into work and got abused by his so called friends by bad text messages.The Siptu rep had a meeting with the chill drivers yesterday friday to try and get support they told her to **** off the nice way.They are losing this battle fast no support from anybody they cant stand at the gate at the kinsale road side next to the centra shop they have to be so many feet back because musgraves got a injuction at that gate.The trucks are leaving bang on time the shops are happy with the level off service they are getting some are saying it is better.But no matter how tough they think they are the company have them by the balls and where they want the ring leaders outside the gate

MrThrifty wrote: »

Sounds like your CV could just be a blank piece of paper from what folk are saying!!

That comment is spurred by the sort of nonsense regarding the nature of the work not being of physical benefit due to its stop start nature - what utter uninformed rubbish... Obviously so is my comment above!

Why don't you address the post in question then rather than have a sly dig using another post? Perhaps point out where said post is factually incorrect and enlighten the subject at hand with your knowledge and understanding of cardiovascular exercise? Or are you another one who just shoots his mouth off and disappears when put on the spot. Come on then, quote the post you referred to, highlight anything that you feel is uninformed and give a proper rebuttal that doesn't involve a pithy comeback.

Why don't you address the post in question then rather than have a sly dig using another post? Perhaps point out where said post is factually incorrect and enlighten the subject at hand with your knowledge and understanding of cardiovascular exercise? Or are you another one who just shoots his mouth off and disappears when put on the spot. Come on then, quote the post you referred to, highlight anything that you feel is uninformed and give a proper rebuttal that doesn't involve a pithy comeback.

Bassboot, there's only one of us dragging this off topic...Since you insist on doing so, tge post in question was clearly one of yours. Just wiki 'exercise' to be enlightened in this area. As for your second question/request, it comes across as an "I claim you boyyy!". Reminds me of kids back in the good old school days... How ironic given the reported bullying of workers who left the picket line by those friends of yours at the school, no sorry company, gates...

Looking forward to the outcome of this strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

I think no matter what banter goes on here, there is only going to be one outcome! The situation at the moment is there are approx 100 people on strike, they have no support within the rest of the company and the work is getting done despite the strike. Musgraves don't need the strikers to go back in anytime soon so it looks like it's just a matter of how long the strikers can do without the getting paid and eventually they will have to go back in, be that one by one or as a collective group.

Bassboot, there's only one of us dragging this off topic...Since you insist on doing so, tge post in question was clearly one of yours. Just wiki 'exercise' to be enlightened in this area. As for your second question/request, it comes across as an "I claim you boyyy!". Reminds me of kids back in the good old school days... How ironic given the reported bullying of workers who left the picket line by those friends of yours at the school, no sorry company, gates...

Looking forward to the outcome of this strike.

Firstly, the exercise point involved an exchange between me and another poster regarding free gym membership. But if you're going to quote mine and take something out of content then that's your prerogative. But at least have the courtesy to quote the post instead of trying the sneaky dig route. And you accuse me of school yard antics!

People are coming on here and ripping the strikers, without knowing the facts or having never worked there. That to me would be uninformed posting. I used to work there, I have a very good understanding of the situation and while I don't necessarily think it was a good move to strike I understand the motives, however hopeless the chances of success.

Oh, and perhaps you should look up the difference between exercise and aerobic exercise. And then carry out an experiment to determine the difference in calories burnt between a shift in there and the equivalent walk without stopping. I did. I look forward to comparing notes.

Welcome to boards Bassboot, or at least this thread anyway. Be aware that posts are viewable by everyone and we're free to comment or respond - there are no private 'exchanges'!!! :D

As for the rest of your last post, much as you are tempting me, I'm going to resist the urge to respond. Hopefully this thread will get back on track (the term keyboard warrior comes to mind!)...

Welcome to boards Bassboot, or at least this thread anyway. Be aware that posts are viewable by everyone and we're free to comment or respond - there are no private 'exchanges'!!! :D

As for the rest of your last post, much as you are tempting me, I'm going to resist the urge to respond. Hopefully this thread will get back on track (the term keyboard warrior comes to mind!)...

Indeed they are. I'm not here to troll, wum or whatever tag you choose to put on me (internet warrior! Come on!) Yeah, things got a little off topic with Korean, but afterwards we at least had a sort of mutual understanding. Top poster that guy. Bit of give and take, bit of banter.

Again, if what I post is so utterly ludicrous and fictional then by all means feel free to point out any flaws in my argument. I joined these boards ostensibly to support old work colleagues, guys who I know are honest workers and are having genuine grievances with the company and the undermining of their contracts. You hide behind all the standard forum cliches that I have encountered previously. Oh, here's a noob, let's put him in his place. Let me ask you this, have you worked there? Do you have any sort of knowledge of the issues other than what you've picked up in the media? If so, then let's discuss them like adults. After all, isn't the purpose of boards.ie to discuss the issues of the day? To debate topical points of discussion? Or do I have to post about the stale state of cork night life and the search for a good curry before I am taken seriously?

Yes, I am new to these forums. Perhaps some of my posts aren't as on topic as you would like. But I am more than happy to engage fellow posters in honest, open debate. If someone says something I disagree with then I debate the point with them? Does this make me an internet warrior in your book? Someone who looks for honesty and forthright opinions? A proper debate of the issue? Where does that leave you then? Because I haven't quite come across a term for someone who is all posturing and no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not really that surprising that the lads striking have no real support. They might be hard workers but they are not skilled workers and there is no lack of ex-construction workers who will replace them in a heartbeat. I'd love to know how they managed to convince themselves that this was going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It seems to be all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 knoaky

Show Time wrote: »
    It seems to be all over.
    Bunch of wasters anyway!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement