Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Think this is going off-topic - it sounds like the original comments about Joe Plumber are to suggest that Joe and his friends had their slice of cake when the times were good, so now it's time for the Chill workers to have theirs?! Ummm... and there was me thinking the good times were over... Maybe someone might let the striking workers know about... oh yeah, that thing they call the recession...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

Doll gonna tell em a lot pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bassboot

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Think this is going off-topic - it sounds like the original comments about Joe Plumber are to suggest that Joe and his friends had their slice of cake when the times were good, so now it's time for the Chill workers to have theirs?! Ummm... and there was me thinking the good times were over... Maybe someone might let the striking workers know about... oh yeah, that thing they call the recession...

Oh yes, the recession. A fantastic excuse for very profitable companies to force through whatever they see fit, safe in the knowledge that staff are more often than not in no position to quibble and will have to suck up whatever medicine the well paid HR sadists can come up with.

So yeah strikers, bend over and take it like good men, there's like, a recession on! Shame on you unwashed filth for trying to defend your position in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

bassboot wrote: »
    Oh yes, the recession. A fantastic excuse for very profitable companies to force through whatever they see fit, safe in the knowledge that staff are more often than not in no position to quibble and will have to suck up whatever medicine the well paid HR sadists can come up with.

So yeah strikers, bend over and take it like good men, there's like, a recession on! Shame on you unwashed filth for trying to defend your position in this day and age!

I have to say this is a very fair point. This type of strategy has been used by many companies to cut costs to make up for falling profits during the recession. Having said that, when times were good people pulled juicy increases from employers to prevent them leaving, as was happening wholesale (guilty here by the way:D) dont recall the unions being very vocal on that though! Goose, gander etc etc! My time will come again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 valmascal

Would you happen to know the exact times they're allowed? I'm pretty sure Musgraves didn't just pluck them out of the air.
    If your able to work 50% harder to meet your new targets what were you doing with that time before the new targets?

You were doing your job.[/QUOTE]

Your allowed 13 minutes to pick 35 bags of potatoes that weigh 25 kilos each thats 875 kilos which is nearly 1 ton.Try picking these at 6am every morning and you will soon realise you work hard to earn your money in musgraves.The company made 70 million profit last year but still refuse to buy proper equipment to pick from,your lifting 25 kilos from floor level to waist level because musgraves wont buy equipment that will lift the palletts to waist height.do this kind of work for 14 years and see the kind of damage it does to your back,fair play to the lads in Cork because when they are no longer able to do their job musgraves will just throw them aside and hire new workers at half their pay.as to what were we doing with that time before the new targets.we need some rest between picks ,were not ****ing robots were people

• Advertisement

valmascal wrote: »
    Would you happen to know the exact times they're allowed? I'm pretty sure Musgraves didn't just pluck them out of the air.
    If your able to work 50% harder to meet your new targets what were you doing with that time before the new targets?

You were doing your job.

Your allowed 13 minutes to pick 35 bags of potatoes that weigh 25 kilos each thats 875 kilos which is nearly 1 ton.Try picking these at 6am every morning and you will soon realise you work hard to earn your money in musgraves.The company made 70 million profit last year but still refuse to buy proper equipment to pick from,your lifting 25 kilos from floor level to waist level because musgraves wont buy equipment that will lift the palletts to waist height.do this kind of work for 14 years and see the kind of damage it does
    to your back,fair play to the lads in Cork because when they are no longer able to do their job musgraves will just throw them aside and hire new workers at half their pay.as to what were we doing with that time before the new targets.we need some rest between picks ,were not ****ing robots were people[/Quote]

Absolutely. People who haven't worked in such an environment shouldn't be so quick to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Chillex wrote: »
    I work in the Cork Chill and I can inform you we are miles ahead each and every day since the strike began, with the help of individuals who were trained up in less than 24hours. It goes to show how little the people outside that dam gate did at work over the years.

The people on strike get paid their wages regardless of their productivity when at work, so dont be fooled about posts regarding times to picked products etc.

The Union reps AND Siptu told them that this was a 'NO WIN SITUATION' .

First vote was 115 for , 8 against, 12 no votes.
    Second vote was 70 for 40 against, 25 no votes.
    NOTE : They needed 68 for a strike.....

To clarify their contract ;

46,400 euro per year
    Nights on 153 shifts a year.
    Days on around 170 a year.
    6 weeks paid holidays.
    Bonus pay in Feb for attendance and productivity, reaching 2,300 euro.
    Free to swap shifts with any other employee on the same roster.
    A YEAR IN ADVANCE work schedule, in which days can be swapped at will.

Note that there are ALOT of people on the picket line that dont want to be there, so please dont be quick to judge them all in one group. This strike is the result of a dozen or so ringleaders at Musgraves chill, that have been looking forward to this type of action for some time. I wish all the lads outside who truly wish to cross that line but wont, all the best, and their familes too, because its clear to all that have been on the inside of the four walls of musgraves this last week, that the company is running better than ever, and the management will let them out their till the signs they hold are worn away by the rain.

Its true that they have got little support from other departments at Musgraves. There was a non official go slow preceding the strike and this had direct consequences for the drivers. The full-time lads also gave ZERO support to the part-time lads almost 3 years ago when the company introduced a new contract, thus halting the promotion of individuals to the SAME contract as the lads currently on strike. They wonder about unity?? Half of them dont talk to the other half, and they have never stuck their own necks out for ANYONE at musgraves but themselves.
    Great post.

Lazy moaners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ifit

I work in the Cork Chill and I can inform you we are miles ahead each and every day since the strike began, with the help of individuals who were trained up in less than 24hours. It goes to show how little the people outside that dam gate did at work over the years.

The people on strike get paid their wages regardless of their productivity when at work, so dont be fooled about posts regarding times to picked products etc.

46,400 euro per year
    6 weeks paid holidays.

Note that there are ALOT of people on the picket line that dont want to be there, so please dont be quick to judge them all in one group. This strike is the result of a dozen or so ringleaders at Musgraves chill, that have been looking forward to this type of action for some time. I wish all the lads outside who truly wish to cross that line but wont, all the best, and their familes too, because its clear to all that have been on the inside of the four walls of musgraves this last week, that the company is running better than ever, and the management will let them out their till the signs they hold are worn away by the rain.

Its true that they have got little support from other departments at Musgraves. There was a non official go slow preceding the strike and this had direct consequences for the drivers. The full-time lads also gave ZERO support to the part-time lads almost 3 years ago when the company introduced a new contract, thus halting the promotion of individuals to the SAME contract as the lads currently on strike. They wonder about unity?? Half of them dont talk to the other half, and they have never stuck their own necks out for ANYONE at musgraves but themselves.

Brillant post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Lots of first time posters suddenly weighing in to a sensitive subject like a strike makes me uneasy - just saying is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

evilivor wrote: »
    Lots of first time posters suddenly weighing in to a sensitive subject like a strike makes me uneasy - just saying is all.

They've been here since the start of the thread, a bit strange alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pointed out this days ago...but why the unease? they are just discussing it like everyone else and fully entitled to. They are not breaking any rules but contributing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 knoaky

46,400 euro per year
    6 weeks paid holidays.

Couldn't have put it better myself, I also work in chill and I think they should leave the lazy ***** outside to rot and bring in the guys who want to do a bit of work

54kroc wrote: »
    They've been here since the start of the thread, a bit strange alright.
    It is fun to watch it play out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ludo wrote: »

Pointed out this days ago...but why the unease? they are just discussing it like everyone else and fully entitled to. They are not breaking any rules but contributing well.

My unease is because I suspect people are, possibly, being directed here and that a proxy war may be being waged.

Are they still camping outside there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

gral6 wrote: »
    Are they still camping outside there ?

Yeah outside each of the 3 entrances, 24 7 so far

46,400 euro per year
    6 weeks paid holidays.

Of course we have a year in advance work schedule,we're on an annualised hours contract.How are we supposed to know when we are to be in work if we dont have a roster?maybe we should sit by the phone and wait to be called in or better still drive into work and if we're not wanted they can send us home.Six weeks paid holiday? what would he suggest,that we shouldn't be paid when we take holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

valmascal wrote: »
    Of course we have a year in advance work schedule,we're on an annualised hours contract.How are we supposed to know when we are to be in work if we dont have a roster?maybe we should sit by the phone and wait to be called in or better still drive into work and if we're not wanted they can send us home.Six weeks paid holiday? what would he suggest,that we shouldn't be paid when we take holidays
    i think the poster was mentioning that yee have flexible working hours and are told well in advance. compared to other roster based companys that are done less frequently. he obviously didn't mean that you would show up everyday looking for work.
    where i used to work we wouldn't know our schedule most times until the day before! management didn't care however.

as for the 6 weeks, it's a lot more than most companys give paid. i now work in an office and get 21 days paid holidays

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think the poster was mentioning that yee have flexible working hours and are told well in advance. compared to other roster based companys that are done less frequently. he obviously didn't mean that you would show up everyday looking for work.
    where i used to work we wouldn't know our schedule most times until the day before! management didn't care however.

as for the 6 weeks, it's a lot more than most companys give paid. i now work in an office and get 21 days paid holidays

I know what he meant i was being sarcastic,you get 21days paid holidays + 9 bank holidays =30 days, same as me and we are rostered for 5 of our bank holidays. You know a year in advance what days you are working ,whats the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 40plus

your pay and 2,300 bonus for ATTENDANCE maybe??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 knoaky

40plus wrote: »
    your pay and 2,300 bonus for ATTENDANCE maybe??????
    Bunch of assholes leave them out there

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

What's the voice picking like?

Has it been a massive success or just adequate.

Looks interesting from youtube video's.

Is it slower or faster than the paper picking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 midmal30

My unease is because I suspect people are, possibly, being directed here and that a proxy war may be being waged.
    I also work in the chill as HDTM which means i am hourly paid .the lads outside the gate are salary paid they get paid monthly i get paid weekly.There is a spilt in the work force in the chill the day lads dont really talk to the night lads and by the way half the day lads dont even talk to each other it must be great fun on the picket line.I know one thing the so called UNION in the chill shafted us HDTM WORKERs big time they signed off a contract which gave us 46 SUNDAYS AND NEARLY EVERY FRIDAY DAYS AND NIGHTS and the union have the cheek to ask us for backing.If and when they do come back and they get there 4 OR 5 sundays off who will be caught to cover them us HDTMS.And to make it worse they did not even consult us about it.They 25 lads that came in and i must say off 10 who did not go out i have great respect for they want to work and they should not be called scabs or other names the lads out side are fighting a losing battle they are not going to win the company are flying at the moment trucks leaving on time etc.To the people off CORKand IRELAND do not feel sorry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Sad situation for all, same old story the bosses divide and rule.

mcko wrote: »
    It looks more like it is only a few of the workers who are are fault for this one.

So true. Kind of disheartening seeing fellow workers turn on each other so readily. The only winners will be management who are now in a position whereby they can now play one group off another knowing that there is zero solidarity amongst workers. The tit for tat attitude will get nobody anywhere, it simply means that HR can alternate which workers they want to target for certain policies safe in the knowledge that workers on a different contract will stand by let it happen because it 'doesn't involve them.'

The union showed an incredible lack of foresight by allowing a new contract to be signed off whereby staff got paid by the hour. Those staff were effectively exempt from this dispute, had no vote in the process and would have been fired had they joined the picket, and this weakened the effectiveness of the strike as a result. How a workforce can be so fractured and hostile towards each other is a sad indictment of union policy over the years. There should be over 200 workers in this together, instead you have factions on different contracts and you only have to look at some of the above comments to see how poisonous the atmosphere is. And yet it will probably get worse......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Korean

For Christs sake... You are worried about a little walk to the office instead of actually doing what you are paid for? Maybe you will miss the ability to waste further time hanging around the admin office chatting to the other time wasters. Get back to work or I hope the company hires cheaper labour to replace you - maybe give me a job. It's obvious you are easily replaced by other unskilled workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Korean

Get off the stage Mcko... Unions have crippled so much progress in this country. You seem to pick the benefits from every other company and want to demand those for the Musgrave staff.... Take one look around at just how bad things could be and count your blessings. €46k for non skilled work? I get paid €35k for the last 3 years AFTER 4 years in college. I get nowhere near the terms and conditions. If people in my job got upset every time we introduced a new OS , I would be loaded. Call this bull**** what it is - a play for money. Oh wait, you have a fight on your hands because you already get paid too much. Makes me sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

€46k a year to move boxes, the reasons behind high prices on the shelfs has now become abundantly clear!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement