Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Just an update, I ordered a Vonets Wifi Bridge for the Ariva 120, it works perfectly and is extremely cheap too, would highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ezzy01

Hi

I'm having difficulty connecting an additional box to my new ariva box.

I've checked my cable, my connection, Tried it with power off, power on, Gone to settings tried it with LNB2 power on and off.. And every other combination i can think of..

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S Loving this box took apart my old sky+ HD box got the 500gb hard drive from in put it in a casing and now i have a massive amount of space for my recordings and live pause!! No more TV Bills!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

This will not work I'm afraid you need a separate cable from the dish for each box.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yep, you'll need a multi output lnb, twin, quad or octo and run a cable to each box.. you can split the terrestrial signal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ezzy01

Figured as much but it says otherwise in the user manual provided you don't have the ariva box on the other should work... according to the manual.. Looks like i'm for the roof tomorrow have a quad reciever up there already. Already split the terrestrial signal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Here's a post I stuck in another thread:
    I bought a Ferguson Ariva 120 a couple of weeks ago. Cost me €150 (I didn't see the thread that says you can order them much cheaper from some Polish website. Then I got a 1TB hard drive from PC World for €65.
    They seem to work fine together. I get the Digital Terrestrial Television channels (RTE 1, 2, News, Jr, TV3, E3, TG4) and free satellite ones (all of the various regional versions of BBC & ITV, Channel4, E4, More4, Film4, all of their +1 versions, and a whole lot of other crap like shopping channels)
    I can record from one channel, while watching another.
    Criticisms: Whoever did the programming for it needs to take a serious lesson in user friendliness, perhaps from the people who programmed Sky boxes. Print on on-screen-display is way too small and in a poor choice of colour for the print and background. The display is also cluttered with unneccessary info. Makes me miss the nice big yellow print on blue of the Sky box.

A friend got a hard drive from some other friend with about 450 movies on it, about 500GB worth.
    I thought, Great, I'll copy them over to my new 1TB drive. When I plugged it into my new box, though, it wouldn't play them. I can hear the movie allright, but all that comes up on screen is "Video Codec not Supported".

Given that the experts appear to be here, I've a couple of questions:
    1: Can I check somehow if there's a version number for the software in the machine, and whether there's more up to date software available?
    2: Is it likely to be worth hooking up to the net to upgrade, as I don't currently have the net except only phone?
    3: In newer versions of the software, is it anymore user friendly or readable, as I have mentioned in my criticisms above.
    4: Does anyone know if a software upgrade would sort my "Video Codec not Supported" problem? The movies on the hard drive are in .avi format.

Thanks in advance.

1: Can I check somehow if there's a version number for the software in the machine, and whether there's more up to date software available?
    2: Is it likely to be worth hooking up to the net to upgrade, as I don't currently have the net except only phone?
    3: In newer versions of the software, is it anymore user friendly or readable, as I have mentioned in my criticisms above.
    4: Does anyone know if a software upgrade would sort my "Video Codec not Supported" problem? The movies on the hard drive are in .avi format.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes in the tools/upgrade menu click on info current version is 2.15B8

2. I'd avoid using the net to upgrade a usb key is much more reliable

4. I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Thanks in advance.

3. I presume you are referring to the small print that the detailed programme information appears on. At the bottom of the window that the programme information appears on there is an option to enlarge the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

"Video Codec not Supported"

re-encode the video files to a supported codec is what is needed ....... but I guess you know that?

"Video Codec not Supported"

re-encode the video files to a supported codec is what is needed ....... but I guess you know that?

Thanks, but no, I didn't know that. I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world! I'd never come across the word 'codec' before.
    So, how do I find out what codecs are supported, and how would I go about re-encoding them?
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    1. Yes in the tools/upgrade menu click on info current version is 2.15B8

Thanks. Mine is 2.14B4.

2. I'd avoid using the net to upgrade a usb key is much more reliable

Thanks again.

So, in simplified language, that's;
    A. Go to website and download the software.
    B. Save it on a USB memory stick.
    C. Plug the stick into the machine.
    Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks, but no, I didn't know that. I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world! I'd never come across the word 'codec' before.
    So, how do I find out what codecs are supported, and how would I go about re-encoding them?
    Thanks again.

AVI is a 'wrapper' for the video.
    The video is in a 'format' determined by the codec.
    There is a list of supported video codecs in the manual ... don't have it to hand presently, but it was referenced earlier in the thread.

You process the AVI file to change the video to a supported format.
    You do so on your computer.
    What application you use to do that is dependent on your operating system.
    Some suggestions for Windows were also given earlier in the thread ...... sorry I don't use Windows so cannot advise what app is most suitable.

I hope that helps you get started ........ and maybe someone with the relevant info can chime in.

regards.

EDIT: Sorry ...... maybe the info is in the main Ariva 120 thread :(

Trevord wrote: »
    3. I presume you are referring to the small print that the detailed programme information appears on. At the bottom of the window that the programme information appears on there is an option to enlarge the text.

I know I can press the yellow button to enlarge the text, but it'd be better if it was just simply large enough to begin with, y'know?

Another thing that bugs me is how the ^ and v buttons work...
    With Sky you can use CH+ and CH- to change channels instantly, or you can use the ^ and v buttons to browse around and see (on the banner at the bottom of the screen) what's on the other channels, but without actaully changing the channel. If you find something you'd prefer to watch, you can press Select or else you can just keep watching the channel you were on, without missing any of it. With the Ariva, though, the ^ and v buttons function the same as CH+ and CH-, so you can't see what's on other channels without interrupting your viewing.
    When the banner is on the screen, most of its space is occupied by unneccessary and annoying graphs for signal strength and **** like that. All it needs to have is the channel name, what's on now and next, and what time it is now. But because most of the space is taken up by the extraneous ****e I mentioned already, the writing has to be small. Now, I don't have fantastic eyesight. In fact I wear glasses. But when I'm wearing my glasses, they give me 20:20 vision, or damn near. So why the hell do I have to squint at the screen to try to read it?

That's what I meant when I said it wasn't user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

@ Locum-Motion.

You should email that last to Ferguson. If nothing else it might get them to see thing from the customer's point of view.

No problem, if its any help i have the latest firmware with a channel list built in which you are welcome to use http://www.mediafire.com/?frz54tnv1fjabra

Heres a how to guide , follow it to the letter apart from unzipping the file which you do not have to do http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

Hope this helps

Thanks again.

So, in simplified language, that's;
    A. Go to website and download the software.
    B. Save it on a USB memory stick.
    C. Plug the stick into the machine.
    Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

As my son,who normally handles this sort of thing, is away at the moment,I'm unable to download one of the very handy satellite lists as I don't have a usb stick handy. I've all the channels I want (doing it the hard way) but for some reason I'm unable to pull in Sky News HD. I'm able to get it as a scrambled channel but not free to air.I'm using my Sky dish (which always gave me brilliant reception for my old Sky box) so I don't think it's a poor signal problem. Any ideas?Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Brian P wrote: »
    As my son,who normally handles this sort of thing, is away at the moment,I'm unable to download one of the very handy satellite lists as I don't have a usb stick handy. I've all the channels I want (doing it the hard way) but for some reason I'm unable to pull in Sky News HD. I'm able to get it as a scrambled channel but not free to air.I'm using my Sky dish (which always gave me brilliant reception for my old Sky box) so I don't think it's a poor signal problem. Any ideas?Thanks:)

I thought Sky News HD was subscription only?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I thought Sky News HD was subscription only?
    Well,that explains everything then. I'm surprised I've been caught out by that. I've been trying to pull it in for the past 3 hours and came perilously close to giving the Ariva 120 a kick around the room. Otherwise it's an excellent receiver and the dinkiest thing you ever did see.:)

When the banner is on the screen, most of its space is occupied by unneccessary and annoying graphs for signal strength and **** like that. All it needs to have is the channel name, what's on now and next, and what time it is now.

This is a good point. I understand that the additiontal info may be of relevance to someone receiving multiple sateliites. Freesat boxes tend to have a cleaner look with just channel name number and now and next, but that is because all the technical stuff is hidden from the user and is being handled by the box itself.

Maybe the option to hide satellite and frequency info on the Ariva would be a good compromise.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in assuming that when recording to an external drive,it is not possible to add a few mins to the beginning and end of the recording to allow for too early a programme start or a possible overrun as with Sky?

Is it acceptable to split the cable from the aerial and then run , say, two cables to two receivers for saorview (not the sat .cable) without degrading the signal quality?

Is it acceptable to split the cable from the aerial and then run , say, two cables to two receivers for saorview (not the sat .cable) without degrading the signal quality?

You will lower the signal level doing this so it really depends on what level you have to start with . If it does not work you can add an amplifier at the split point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have the aerial lead split in the hallway and one goes to my Arivia box and the other to tv with built in tuner and no problems. Depends on strenght of your signal but I think you can also use a booster if necessary.

Thanks guys:)
    Actually the more I think of it I might even replace the actual cable I have at the moment as in the past I simply joined two pieces of (similar)cable together to run to my main tv for an analogue picture ( wife likes Aertel in the morning). This tv has an excellent Sky HD signal for the Irish channels but I think that my saorview picture of the same channels( using the joined cable) is marginally inferior. The joined cable might possibly be the cause? I haven't read of any threads where posters found the Ariva picture to be in any way inferior to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dislanger

Thanks again.
    The programme recommended on many threads for converting media types, and which I use, is Format Factory; converts almost anything. It's free and very user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Am I correct in assuming that when recording to an external drive, it is not possible to add a few mins to the beginning and end of the recording to allow for too early a programme start or a possible overrun as with Sky?
    I'm afraid you are correct.

The Fergie doesn't have a regular automatic epg like sky. It has a basic 7 day epg for dtt, and just now/next for satellite.
    Neither of which you can set to record from. :o

With the timer, or your manual recording, you basically just record the channel, at a specific time, which covers the run of your preferred program.
    For all intents and purposes, like a vcr, you're simply recording the channel stream.

Mind you, with the timer, you can have a repeat recording. So if you add the extra few mins at start/end then activate the repeat feature, that's kind of what the sky box does in principal I guess. Ok, so it's a DIY jobby at best, but better than nothing. :cool:

Am I correct in assuming that when recording to an external drive,it is not possible to add a few mins to the beginning and end of the recording to allow for too early a programme start or a possible overrun as with Sky?

When recording manually, press the record button TWICE. When you press the second time, 02:00 pops up on screen, as the default length of time the machine will record for. You can then change it to whatever you like. If the movie or programme I want to record is scheduled for, say, 1:45, I set the record time to 1:50.
    Using the Timer function, I also build in an extra five minutes before I click Save.

Upgraded to the latest firmware version on Saturday. (version Tony uploaded referred to in Post #47 above)

Major lip sync issues on RTE 1 last night. 1 to 2 second difference I'd say.

(Checked freeview box at same time and it seemed to be in sync).

Issue resolved by switching to another channel and then going back to RTE1.

Anyone having similar experience with the latest release ?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

You will lower the signal level doing this so it really depends on what level you have to start with . If it does not work you can add an amplifier at the split point.
    sorry for kinda running of topic hear, i just seen this post and was wondering, Tony, Whats the best way to go about this. i want go to 2 different rooms with the cable comming from the saorview aerial without any signal loss. i dont think ya can do like u can with an lnb for satellite and have 2 cables running from it.is the only option to split it say in the attic and use a 2 Way TV Amplifier with Bypass. i just want to have the least amount off signal loss.im sort of in an area which is low lying and surrounded by hills.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You should really start a seperate thread. Do you have a power point in your attic?

Advertisement