Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd say, barring injury, Kidney will go with a backline for the 6 nations of:

9. Murray 10. O'Gara 11. Zebo 12. Leamy 13. Earls 14. O'Leary 15. Barnes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'd say, barring injury, Kidney will go with a backline for the 6 nations of:

9. Murray 10. O'Gara 11. Zebo 12. Leamy 13. Earls 14. O'Leary 15. Barnes

Hayes at tighthead

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

To drop Sexton for ROG hell have to start Sexton in the first place, which will be a nice surprise!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I refuse to believe that Kidney is myopic enough to pick ROG to start for the 6N. He somehow managed to convince himself to do it in the RWC (and Sexton's jitters with the boot didn't help his case) but it failed so spectacularly that surely he won't try it again. Right??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Which begs the question, can you see the top of Devin toners head from the fence you're sitting on?

Omalleys defense is excellent. It's certainly not a reason not to select him. As for the going low and engaging with your shoulder huff, have a look at Dom Ryans tackle of the year last season!

Remind me again, did Ryan get knocked off the tackle? If he didn't there is no point in bringing it up.

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd go for:

1. Healy
    2. Best (can't wait to be putting Strauss in there!)
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan (too late to bother giving Cullen an international career now)
    5. O'Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip (if Ferris gets injured I'd give Jennings a run at 7 with SO'B at 6)

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    13. Bowe
    14. Earls
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin 17. Court 18. Toner 19. Jennings 20. Boss 21. O'Gara 22. D'Arcy

Players of contention:

If Kidney tried to get Ireland to play like Leinster, Ireland would be a much better team but also the players I'd pick would be very different.

I suppose with Kidney rugby there's no point on quick ball, so guys like Reddan & Jennings aren't too important. There's also no point taking minor risks for potentially massive rewards, so maybe McFadden at 12 and Bowe at 13 isn't worthwhile, they've excelled their at club level, but we know Earls is mediocre in the centre, if dire in defence and a much stronger winger, but it feels cozy and comfortable for Kidney to put him in there.

RE O'Malley, he has had a superb season so far, but he hasn't done enough to convince me that he's ready for international rugby yet. Maybe give him a half in one of the games, Scotland perhaps, but still much better options at 13 for the national team imo.

Toner has been nothing short of sublime this season...incredibly, it's his link work, his hands, his offloads (ffs!!) that have mind him stand out. He wont get within an arses roar of a Kidney squad, but he's first choice Leinster 5 for me.

Murray is a poor mans Boss for me. Boss is a scrapper, but knows when to scrap, knows when to distribute and knows when to break. On the rare occassion I've seen Munster get quick ball this season, it's usually ended up at the bottom of a ruck with Murray.

That's fine if you want cheap 15 metres and let your pack do all the work, but we've good backs in Ireland and should try and use them, and Murray is most definitely not the man for that job.

I would start phasing out D'Arcy this season to be honest. If Kidney can show an ounce of faith in an Eastern Province man, he would experiment with combinations here, with McFadden the leader in midfield.

Fitz playing the best rugby of his career, and is a shoe i for first 15, might make Kidneys extended training squad.

Finaly O'Gara, still there on merrit, but I'd give Madigan a run off the bench in a couple of games and phase out the old warrior.

Remember, we're at the start of a new world cup cycle now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

[Quote=[Jackass];76203197

Finaly O'Gara, still there on merrit, but I'd give Madigan a run off the bench in a couple of games and phase out the old warrior.

Remember, we're at the start of a new world cup cycle now...[/Quote]

I think DK showed this yr without any shadow of a doubt that irelands rwc cycle starts during the warm up games for that rwc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go for:

1. Healy
    2. Best (can't wait to be putting Strauss in there!)
    3. Ross
    4. Ryan (too late to bother giving Cullen an international career now)
    5. O'Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip (if Ferris gets injured I'd give Jennings a run at 7 with SO'B at 6)

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McFadden
    13. Bowe
    14. Earls
    15. Kearney

16. Cronin 17. Court 18. Toner 19. Jennings 20. Boss 21. O'Gara 22. D'Arcy

Players of contention:

If Kidney tried to get Ireland to play like Leinster, Ireland would be a much better team but also the players I'd pick would be very different.

I suppose with Kidney rugby there's no point on quick ball, so guys like Reddan & Jennings aren't too important. There's also no point taking minor risks for potentially massive rewards, so maybe McFadden at 12 and Bowe at 13 isn't worthwhile, they've excelled their at club level, but we know Earls is mediocre in the centre, if dire in defence and a much stronger winger, but it feels cozy and comfortable for Kidney to put him in there.

RE O'Malley, he has had a superb season so far, but he hasn't done enough to convince me that he's ready for international rugby yet. Maybe give him a half in one of the games, Scotland perhaps, but still much better options at 13 for the national team imo.

Toner has been nothing short of sublime this season...incredibly, it's his link work, his hands, his offloads (ffs!!) that have mind him stand out. He wont get within an arses roar of a Kidney squad, but he's first choice Leinster 5 for me.

Murray is a poor mans Boss for me. Boss is a scrapper, but knows when to scrap, knows when to distribute and knows when to break. On the rare occassion I've seen Munster get quick ball this season, it's usually ended up at the bottom of a ruck with Murray.

That's fine if you want cheap 15 metres and let your pack do all the work, but we've good backs in Ireland and should try and use them, and Murray is most definitely not the man for that job.

I would start phasing out D'Arcy this season to be honest. If Kidney can show an ounce of faith in an Eastern Province man, he would experiment with combinations here, with McFadden the leader in midfield.

Fitz playing the best rugby of his career, and is a shoe i for first 15, might make Kidneys extended training squad.

Remember, we're at the start of a new world cup cycle now...

No Tuohy?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

I would agree with that team Jackass.
    I wouldn't start O Malley or Murray, Reddan has been playing like a man posessed for Leinster in the past few games.

Sexton simply has to start at 10.
    DOC should drop out, Darcy should drop to the bench.
    Ryan, Toner, Tuohy and POC should be the locks imo.

The fact that Court is our only option on the bench is, as always, worrying.

Best simply has to start on the back of his WC. First name on the team for me.

The only thing I would say is that backline looks a little callow or something to me.

Don't think Madigan is near being ready for a 6N game yet at all. We're getting way ahead of ourselves here, and anyway, it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Regardless of others

1. Healy
    2. Best
    5. Tuohy
    6. Ferris
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip

could carry ball until the ends of time. We could play sexy rugby with these lads in charge up front and a quick 9/10 combo.

Unfortunately, "sexy rugby" has never been a brand of rugby that any Irish coach is too fond if getting involved with.

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    As for danthefan's selection, I largely agree. I wouldn't consider Best a dead cert though.

Who else is an option? Besides, Best was one of Ireland's best players at the RWC. I think he is far and away the best option there at the moment.

Of the positions actually feasibly up for grabs, I'd take Touhy at lock, Reddan at scrum half (though wouldn't have any real problem with Murray at this stage), O'Malley at outside centre and Trimble at 11.

This is under the proviso that I haven't seen a lot of Cave, but the chances of anyone apart from Earls starting at 13 are negligible anyway. :(

I'd probably prefer McFadden to D'Arcy at inside centre too. Though whether there is any chance of that happening depends on the Leinster selection for the last two HEC games imo.

Would it be too outrageous to suggest:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Tuohy
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. SOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭AtItAllDayRef

padser wrote: »
    I think DK showed this yr without any shadow of a doubt that irelands rwc cycle starts during the warm up games for that rwc

The IRFU policy has decided that for both EOS and Kidney. Aim is to win the 6 nations every year and the RWC cycle is not as important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭AtItAllDayRef

Tox56 wrote: »

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Tuohy
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. SOB

Heaslip on a central contract dropped to accomodate Jennings who has failed to shine when given his chances at international level?

Heaslip on a central contract dropped to accomodate Jennings who has failed to shine when given his chances at international level?

He's in form with Leinster. Just a suggestion.

6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. SOB

Yes. Heaslip is a better 8 then SOB and Jennings is hit and miss to even make the Leinster 1st XV at the moment.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yes. Heaslip is a better 8 then SOB and Jennings is hit and miss to even make the Leinster 1st XV at the moment.

I think Jennings is unlucky. Schmidt seems to prefer a big physical player like McLaughlin for the big away games, but Jennings helps to speed things up (HEC Final for example) for Leinster. Ireland play a lot better with the quick ball that Jennings could possibly help provide.

I think Jennings is unlucky. Schmidt seems to prefer a big physical player like McLaughlin for the big away games, but Jennings helps to speed things up (HEC Final for example) for Leinster. Ireland play a lot better with the quick ball that Jennings could possibly help provide.

I think that Jenno's time in an Ireland shirt is up, despite the obvious upsides to his play.
    Heopfully D Ryan or another classic 7 will be an option soon becaue I fully believe we will continue to struggle with that carrying backrow.

I think McLaughlin is primarily there for his line-out work but it has to be said that his immense work-rate does let SOB and to a lesser extent Heaslip play their more natural games. I think at this stage any chance Jennings had to break into the Ireland team is gone though. I don't disagree that he would bring excellent attributes to the team but he's going to be busy enough trying to get into the first team in Leinster. I'm not overly fond of the balance in the Ireland's back row currently but on the other hand they are far and away the three best players available.

Why anyone would go near touching that back row after the way they played in New Zealand is beyond me, especially Heaslip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Takeabath

1.Healy 2. Best 3. Ross 4. POC 5.touhy 6.ferris 7. O'brien 8. Heaslip 9. Redden 10. Sexton 11.Fitzgerald 12. D'arcy 13.O'Malley 14. Bowe 15. Kearney .... In reality the team picks itself the only position that is remotely up for contention is McFadden or omalley for 13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Takeabath wrote: »
    1.Healy 2. Best 3. Ross 4. POC 5.touhy 6.ferris 7. O'brien 8. Heaslip 9. Redden 10. Sexton 11.Fitzgerald 12. D'arcy 13.O'Malley 14. Bowe 15. Kearney .... In reality the team picks itself the only position that is remotely up for contention is McFadden or omalley for 13

Tuohy and POC are both typically 5's, the positions aren't as interchangeable as you might think...

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Takeabath wrote: »

Tuohy and POC are both typically 5's, the positions aren't as interchangeable as you might think...
    In my own experience they are as much as makes no odds.

Ah they are though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

wixfjord wrote: »
    Ah they are though :p

Silly me, should have checked with wixfjord before posting an opinion...

Anyhow, there was a good thread on this here before, have a read and make your own mind up...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59673650

FYI: I played second row at the lofty heights of Munster B schools so I think my opinion can be trusted :p

Silly me, should have checked with wixfjord before posting an opinion...

Anyhow, there was a good thread on this here before, have a read and make your own mind up...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59673650

FYI: I played second row at the lofty heights of Munster B schools so I think my opinion can be trusted :p

Nah, feck all difference bar the fact that 5 is generally the sturdier and heftier, both in my own experience and general consensus also.

Certainly no reason not to start Tuohy and POC together for eg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think McLaughlin is primarily there for his line-out work but it has to be said that his immense work-rate does let SOB and to a lesser extent Heaslip play their more natural games. I think at this stage any chance Jennings had to break into the Ireland team is gone though. I don't disagree that he would bring excellent attributes to the team but he's going to be busy enough trying to get into the first team in Leinster. I'm not overly fond of the balance in the Ireland's back row currently but on the other hand they are far and away the three best players available.

I think that's a very salient point. Jennings speeds up/slows down ball significantly which gives SOB and Heaslip opportunity to make some big plays but McLaughlin frees them up in a similar fashion. His workrate is immense. I lost count of how many times he carried the ball the other night. He doesn't smash through the defensive line but he does normally take two defenders in and presents the ball very well allowing quick ball.

Ireland's current back row is probably the best available. I don't think there's any reason to change it given how it operated in the WC. Gets our best players on the field and, overall, makes the biggest impact possible (with Wallace not in the equation anymore).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Nah, feck all difference bar the fact that 5 is generally the sturdier and heftier, both in my own experience and general consensus also.

Other way around generally with 4 being the more hefty/powerful i.e. Shaw, Botha, DOC, Thorn, Gray and 5 being the more athletic. Obviously there are exceptions. But I would agree that the positions are fairly interchangeable these days to the same level of playing left and right wing. A player will be more comfortable in one but can play the other. There are multiple examples of players who play both positions. MOD, Nallet, Mal O'Kelly, Cullen, Donncha Ryan...all have played both positions professionally in big HEC/international games. Get Tuohy packing down at 4 now for a few games, getting familiar and comfortable with his bind and positioning in the scrum.

Donnacha O'Callaghan was a 5 until he was moved to 4 to accomodate Munsters 2 best second rows way back when. Hasn't moved since.

It makes zero difference to field positioning, scrummaging, and only makes a difference to what point of the line out you jump at. Massively interchangable.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes meant 4 when I was referring to the sturdier and heftier, enforcer type.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement