Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw

• 10-03-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hello

I am thinking of buying a new chainsaw....I have a still 14inch bar chainsaw...but I think it might be a bit light for the work im doing.

Any recommendations on what type of saw or where to get one would be appreciated!(im located in the Galway area)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Anything by Jonsered. They are cheap, made to the same standard if not better than Husqvarna, are easy to service, have fantastic torque, and even the DIY versions are able to work all day long. I have used Stihl and Husky and Dolmar, and settled on Jonsered in the end. Huskys are great, but a sod to start and restart, and are dear. Stihl - and I buy their gear new, not used, are rotten starters - they would pull your arm off if they are in a huff. We use their consaws for cutting steel, and starting them is an art, not a science. The jonsered chainsaws are faultless, easy to start, light, powerful and easy on fuel, and best of all, they are cheap, and even cheaper used, from the Uk. Try ebay or Donedeal.ie maybe, or go wild and buy new, you will not regret it. I own 15 acres of mature hardwood forest, and have given all of our saws serious stick. Jonsered are the dogs whatsits.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Have a 25 year old Jonsereds .... going as good today as it did when it was first bought.

A great saw, starts first time, has done lots of work - light & heavy and isn't too heavy.

Jonsereds all the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jonsered and Husqvarna are one and the same.
    No difference apart from the straight front handle, made in the same factory and on the same lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Yep, think your right CJ, I kinda knew that, but wasn't 100%. I think jonsered charge a lot less than husky though!

Actually Husqvarna own nearly all of the saws names, Husky, Poulan,Partner, Jonsered, McCulloch are all owned by Husqvarna.
    Dolmar is owned by Makita
    Stihl is Still Stihl:D
    I think some of the Jonsered benefit from not being as widely known as Husky and therefore cheaper for the same quality of saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

Thanks lads for the help......Just wondering where would be the best place to get a chainsaw in Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

You can try and do it on the cheap if you want, but if I were you I would buy the best and buy a stihl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

You could always wait for a lidl special offer

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

TM RACING wrote: »
    You can try and do it on the cheap if you want, but if I were you I would buy the best and buy a stihl.

+ 1 .Bought new one last yr , crackin' saw :)

trepasers wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the help......Just wondering where would be the best place to get a chainsaw in Ireland???
    How much do you want to spend?
    What will you be using the saw for ?
    What is the average diameter of what you are cutting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You could always wait for a lidl special offer
    And hope that it starts:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

and keeps going :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

Well I have aa stihl chainsaw which I bought second hand.....NOTHING BUT TROUBLE......First the pump went.....then the bar for the chain went(wasnt putting oil around) Got a new one and after about a trailer of wood is gone again :mad: The chainsaw I have is a 14 inch one.....I could be cutting anything up to 15 inches in diameter...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

when buying a secondhand chainsaw you dont know if it has been abused ,not had the proper fuel mix used in it etc so you bought someone elses trouble. the stihl saws are good , i have the same one for 13 years and it never gave any trouble but avoid the hobby use ones.
    the lidl chainsaw is a pile of s##T except for the oregon bar on it.

Well I have aa stihl chainsaw which I bought second hand.....NOTHING BUT TROUBLE......First the pump went.....then the bar for the chain went(wasnt putting oil around) Got a new one and after about a trailer of wood is gone again :mad: The chainsaw I have is a 14 inch one.....I could be cutting anything up to 15 inches in diameter...
    Let me guess it is a MS 230/250? or the older MS 023/025?
    Those saws are dogs, I hate them.Hard to start, gutless when you get them going and take a long time to strip down to work on.
    Oiler is crap as you found out and... Bah:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm looking to upgrade from my aldi saw to something more grown up.

I'm looking at a 20 inch saw I reckon. I dont see much large felling in my future.

Any reccomendations for dealers in the cork area?

If anyone is buying a saw they should just buy a stihl. I have a ms 440, 660, 441 and regularly use a 880. never had any trouble with any of them, although the 660 is very hard on fuel and the 880 is a guzzler! Husqvarna are the next best thing in my opinion but I find that the smaller ones don't have the same lasting as the stihls, I think this could because the smaller husky barrels are not chrome lined whereas all stihl barrels are chrome lined. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

jerry croffy,ballinasloe
    sales and repairs(very important) including second-hand

Flemings, naas co. kildare. Great stock of spares and very helpfull. for stihl.

Lyons and Burtons kilcock, for husky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

JohnBoy wrote: »
    I'm looking to upgrade from my aldi saw to something more grown up.

I'm looking at a 20 inch saw I reckon. I dont see much large felling in my future.

Any reccomendations for dealers in the cork area?

O'Driscoll's near Kanturk are quite good and do Husqvarna, Jonsered and cheaper stuff. They may also have good quality second hand stuff there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement