Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle fire HD

• 23-11-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

My father decided he wanted to get my mother one of these for xmas as she's wanted a kindle for a good while now.
    I told him about the issues relating i had heard about not being able to buy or download certain things without a US or UK credit card and address.

Anyway....he went and bought it today in Newry.
    What I want to know now is......what exactly can she use it for for, other than for reading books? He thinks she should be able to watch things and access the internet etc. She wouldnt be the most technically minded person so I cant see her needing to download too many apps.

SO what functions will the kindle fire HD do and how much 'necessary' stuff wont she be able to get?

My dad is all proud of himself for getting this, he thinks its going to be perfect for my mam. I just want to make sure that there's still going to be enough on there to keep her occupied. :)

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

should be able to watch your own movies with format mp4, listen to mp3, read books, go on the web, check email.
    To buy applications they will need a uk billing address, and uk home address, and the country needs to be UK. so they will be buying from the amazon.co.uk
    The browser doesnt support flash, but will play youtube, the appstore its still small, but there`s a good few apps on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair it's pretty easy to root it and put Google Play on it so that whole issue isn't much of a concern if you actually want to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 comraid

hi I bought the kindle fire last week in N.I. for Xmas pres - have the same issue but still ok with the purchase. Explain pls what is rooting and how does this workaroud the issue

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I would hold off on rooting if you can. I have heard that Kindle app stores are going live in Ireland in January.

There is also options with side loading apps( transferring them from your phone to your Kindle) and using the getjar website to load apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

brokenarms wrote: »
    I would hold off on rooting if you can. I have heard that Kindle app stores are going live in Ireland in January.

There is also options with side loading apps( transferring them from your phone to your Kindle) and using the getjar website to load apps.

Where did you hear that kindle app store is going to be available in Ireland?

• Advertisement

ldr wrote: »
    Where did you hear that kindle app store is going to be available in Ireland?

I would rather not say exactly, but the person is head of the tech department in a major retailer in Ireland. And a friend. If they said it, I would bet my broken arms that it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Some lads on the XDA forums are working on porting CM10 to the Kindle Fire HD, early days yet but quite excited about that!

Will porting not void the warranty on the kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't think they just the only issues, heard that there is a software issue when it used in Ireland that's why they don't sell the kindle fire HD here!

Yes there is an issue , but I think its down to digital rights and all that legal crap that we should not worry about. My Kindle works on the web and you can download books. Its the app store that is the problem. The app store will not allow any apps to be downloaded to an Irish IP address. Not yet anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement