Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

structural survey

Options
  • 18-11-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

We have gone sale agreed on a house built in late 1970s. From the first viewing the house looked fine but I've viewed it twice more and have found a few exterior and interior cracks. We will be getting a survey but if there are any engineers that view this, how serious are cracks in houses? There's a few vertical and horizontal cracks. I'll try and post a few pics. I also checked the footpath around the house. It doesn't seem to be separating from the house, therefore im hopeful that the cracks are not foundational.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

There few cracks in my own house but I was told they are nothing to worry about. I've even got one that's a hairline crack from top to bottom of an interior wall. I've called my engineer out twice and he's reassured me it settling cracks. Some blocks can crack with the weight of the roof if not cured properly ive read, think it even shows you in the homebond books.

Yours could be the same or possibly foundation problems! Only an engineer could tell you and that's after doing some digging up. The horizontal crack could be just a bad mix of sand/cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pullover

I'm pretty sure once you go sale agreed, the actual sale of the house is dependent on the results of the valuation & survey you get done.You can decide then to pull out and still get your deposit back.
    That's what I've been told by an estate agent however you still should ask yours... Just is case!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mullinr2 wrote: »
    We will be getting a survey but if there are any engineers that view
    only a site survey will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

BryanF wrote: »
    only a site survey will decide.

How much for one of them?

mullinr2 wrote: »
    How much for one of them?

Ring 3 engineers/surveyors and ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Minor hairline cracks or cracks around the window cills are fine as they are associated with settling of the house.
    However one of the image has a significant horizontal crack that looks more serious.
    If it was me I'd take the cost of repairing these items out of your agreed sale price. A good structural eng and/or quantity surveyor will give you advice and a price to fix.

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Minor hairline cracks or cracks around the window cills are fine as they are associated with settling of the house.
    However one of the image has a significant horizontal crack that looks more serious.
    If it was me I'd take the cost of repairing these items out of your agreed sale price. A good structural eng and/or quantity surveyor will give you advice and a price to fix.

What about a hairline crack running right down a structural wall. It hasn't got bigger in 5 years but appears again a year after painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

duckcfc wrote: »
    What about a hairline crack running right down a structural wall. It hasn't got bigger in 5 years but appears again a year after painting.

As you say 'running down' I presume this is a vertical crack. If its located around a lintel or window cill, its probably a settling crack.
    A lot depends on the size, and if you say it appears again a year after painting, it may be more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nnicl

We bought a house recently and it has heaps of cracks, i didnt notice them though the surveyor had mentioned them in the report, he said they were cosmetic plaster cracks due to settlement. Howver now we are living here im beginning to think there is a bigger problem possibly water in foundation as there is terrible condensation and more horizontal cracks appearing about a foot from the bottom of the outside wall, along the first line of blocks id say. make sure your surveyor has a good investigation for you, should be easier during winter when the cold and wet will be making a clear impact.

ArraMusha wrote: »
    As you say 'running down' I presume this is a vertical crack. If its located around a lintel or window cill, its probably a settling crack.
    A lot depends on the size, and if you say it appears again a year after painting, it may be more serious.

How can one tell if its serious or not. If its foundations can't they just settle and if its roof, that might just be a slight problem but settled.

• Advertisement

duckcfc wrote: »
    How can one tell if its serious or not. If its foundations can't they just settle and if its roof, that might just be a slight problem but settled.
    you get a structural engineer

BryanF wrote: »
    you get a structural engineer

Its just a hairline crack thou. I think that would be waste money thou insaying that, how much is it to get a structural survey. Might just get one done in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

nnicl wrote: »
    We bought a house recently and it has heaps of cracks, i didnt notice them though the surveyor had mentioned them in the report, he said they were cosmetic plaster cracks due to settlement. Howver now we are living here im beginning to think there is a bigger problem possibly water in foundation as there is terrible condensation and more horizontal cracks appearing about a foot from the bottom of the outside wall, along the first line of blocks id say. make sure your surveyor has a good investigation for you, should be easier during winter when the cold and wet will be making a clear impact.

The condensation is most likely due to too much water vapour in the house-do you open the windows to change the air in the house? Possibly a lack of insulation so you will get black mould on the walls. Horizontal cracks a foot from the bottom of the wall-DPC level-could just be the DPC appearing. Is your development a Pyrite one?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Those cracks are not those typically found with Pyrite. I would day some settlement. The cracks on the ceilings are at joints in the plasterboard so nothing to worry about there. The cracks at the wall ceiling junction might be the timber frame shrinking/expanding.

If in doubt get an engineer who is experienced in inspecting property affected by Pyrite to do a survey for you. There is a list of suitable approved engineers on Engineers Ireland website.

If you are with Homebond they will not help you. If the builder is solvent you might have to take him to court.

Advertisement