Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Belgard Motors, Tallaght

• 10-03-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I have recently purchased a car from Belgard Motors in Tallaght. When I was due to collect the car I was told that they only accept bank drafts i.e. no personal cheques. I was particularly annoyed as I was originally due to collect the car on a Saturday when banks are closed!

I have contacted quite a few other dealers who have no problem accepting personal cheques. Does anyone else have experience of dealing with Belgard Motors?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Suppose it all depends on the amount of money involved ? 1K V 20K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I bought a new car this year and they did not accept cheque...different dealer

the problem was suimilar to yours, I only found out the day i was to collect it.:mad:..hence big panic to bank!!

I don't have an issue with them not taking cheque but they could be upfront about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

PGL wrote: »
    I have recently purchased a car from Belgard Motors in Tallaght. When I was due to collect the car I was told that they only accept bank drafts i.e. no personal cheques. I was particularly annoyed as I was originally due to collect the car on a Saturday when banks are closed!

I have contacted quite a few other dealers who have no problem accepting personal cheques. Does anyone else have experience of dealing with Belgard Motors?

cheers!
    That's always been Belgard's policy. In fairness, would you part with a new car for a personal cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Its standard policy for dealers not to accept personal cheques as full payment on a car.

I'd like to know how the conversation went with other dealers for you to think that they would accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think its understandable in this day and age. Personal cheques should be allowed to clear before goods are released !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

in fairness there is a huge rise in bouncy checks since the start of the new year ive had over a dozen from guys within the motor trade that i deal with all the time the money has dried up alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Our garage would do the same. If you want to pay by cheque you need to pay us 3 days in advance to allow the cheque to clear, if you're paying on the day we need a draft or we need you to be signing finance papers.

This should be advised in advance, although every now and again I forget to tell someone about it and they have to do some running around before coming in (and I feel guilty as hell).

If I forgot to tell you and you collected your car on a Saturday I'd probably be able to get permission from my manager to release the car, but not if it was happening regularly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nobody in their right mind would release a car for a personal cheque without it clearing first. Possibly a different story if it was a regular customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

I've always paid by personal cheque, usually to a salesperson that I'm dealing with for the first time, same with my wife and other members of my family with amounts up to 20k. I've never experienced any hesitation on the part of the salesperson either. Garages involved were Peugeot, Toyota, Nissan and Mercedes.

There's no guarantee with a bank draft and no way of checking its authenticity on a Saturday. Even if the bank says that there's no problem with the draft at that time doesn't mean that they won't come back later and say that there is.

I know of one person - a doctor in her 40s who wanted to trade in her MKIV Golf for a MKV in Ballsbridge Motors. She had to produce a driving licence (which they photocopied) before she could test drive a new one and then had to pay around 8k by draft....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well I wouldn't give out a car on a cheque, either. Nor a draft, come to think of it - way too many forgeries out there.

I collected a car on Saturday in the UK. I scanned and emailed the draft over on Wed, so that he had time to contact AIB here to pre-clear it.

Bank Transfer is the only truly safe way, imho........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

galwaytt wrote: »

Bank Transfer is the only truly safe way, imho........

But then you've bought it before you've seen it in the case of a UK purchase! What you said about the draft is the best option for UK tbh (I realise we're not talking about UK though for OP)... Decide on machine to buy, get draft, scan copy of it to the seller, he rings bank and confirms all is OK... go get machine :D I've done this with a rather large purchase in the UK and no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Spit62500 wrote: »
    I've always paid by personal cheque, usually to a salesperson that I'm dealing with for the first time, same with my wife and other members of my family with amounts up to 20k. I've never experienced any hesitation on the part of the salesperson either. Garages involved were Peugeot, Toyota, Nissan and Mercedes.

There's no guarantee with a bank draft and no way of checking its authenticity on a Saturday. Even if the bank says that there's no problem with the draft at that time doesn't mean that they won't come back later and say that there is.

I know of one person - a doctor in her 40s who wanted to trade in her MKIV Golf for a MKV in Ballsbridge Motors. She had to produce a driving licence (which they photocopied) before she could test drive a new one and then had to pay around 8k by draft....

your story about the doctor reminded me of a time i was up in court on no tax disc displayed offence
    a case before me involved a lady and a man

the lady said to the judge at one point , im a radiographer judge , i never break the speed limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Damien Murphy

Most Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) garages display their Conditions of Sale. You will usually find clearly stated conditions regarding acceptance of cheques. Anyone wishing to pay by personal cheque should allow sufficient time for bank clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...ancient thread

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement