Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Dolan - 1943-2007

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

According to my calculations...

1943-2007 = 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am in my 40's and I grew up with bands like Genesis, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Specials, The Clash, The Boomtown rats, The Ramones, Wings, Fleetwood Mac, & dozens more bands from the 70's & 80's ............... but Joe Dolan just wasnt on the radar!

Maybe I am too young? or was he big (in Ireland) when the Beatles were Big ~ back in the 1960's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

It is terrible news. Poor Joe.

May he rest in peace. No show like a joe show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

ArthurF wrote: »
    I am in my 40's and I grew up with bands like Genesis, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Specials, The Clash, The Boomtown rats, The Ramones, Wings, Fleetwood Mac, & dozens more bands from the 70's & 80's ............... but Joe Dolan just wasnt on the radar!

Maybe I am too young? or was he big (in Ireland) when the Beatles were Big ~ back in the 1960's ?

If your from the country it was hard to miss him with the Drifters in tow as he would arrive in town to gig at the marquee? which was basicaly a huge tent which would be put up near the town ,village or whatever and 500 drunk men and women would turn up for a few hours of their favourite renditions.Big Tom and the Binliners, Margo, Dickie Frock and many more.I couldnt stand it myself but Joe Dolan was probably the best of the lot .They would have a different act every night for up to a month,I think maximum of two or three nights on the weekend. The trick was to get in without paying which was grand if you succeeded but youd get a hiding if you were caught. If it got out of hand the fights could be very vicious so nothing new there. We took our American cousins to the ?, you know I have forgotten what they called them , no not marquee ,they had a special name for the whole kebuddle, but anyway in 75 we took the 3 teenage cousins from NewJersey to the Craughwell dance and they couldnt believe what their eyes told them. These guys are very sucessful politicos and the like now and it was to much for their delicate upbringing but they think they enjoyed it, just not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

david1two3 wrote: »
    If your from the country it was hard to miss him with the Drifters in tow as he would arrive in town to gig at the marquee? which was basicaly a huge tent which would be put up near the town ,village or whatever and 500 drunk men and women would turn up for a few hours of their favourite renditions.Big Tom and the Binliners, Margo, Dickie Frock and many more.I couldnt stand it myself but Joe Dolan was probably the best of the lot .They would have a different act every night for up to a month,I think maximum of two or three nights on the weekend. The trick was to get in without paying which was grand if you succeeded but youd get a hiding if you were caught. If it got out of hand the fights could be very vicious so nothing new there. We took our American cousins to the ?, you know I have forgotten what they called them , no not marquee ,they had a special name for the whole kebuddle, but anyway in 75 we took the 3 teenage cousins from NewJersey to the Craughwell dance and they couldnt believe what their eyes told them. These guys are very sucessful politicos and the like now and it was to much for their delicate upbringing but they think they enjoyed it, just not sure why.

It used to be called The Marquee in Oranmore. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Driver 8 wrote: »
    James Brown last year, Joe Dolan this year. The hardest working men in showbusiness have left the stage...:(

I guess they shouldn't have worked so hard in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

deisemum wrote: »
    It used to be called The Marquee in Oranmore. ;)
    Carnivals. even thought they had nothing to do with Lent or what we now understand as a carnival, the tent was called a Dome in Tralee. I believe that the events where supervised by the local Catholic clergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

There was more "action" outside the marquees than inside :rolleyes:

Advertisement