Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who do you think is least deserving of their fame

• 05-12-2007 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I would start with;

Pete Doherty
    Kerry Katona
    Amy Winehouse
    Mr Kipling - his cakes are rubbish
    Sayers The Bakers:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Neiler21 wrote: »
    I would start with;

Pete Doherty
    Kerry Katona
    Amy Winehouse
    Mr Kipling - his cakes are rubbish
    Sayers The Bakers:cool:

Pete Doherty - Singer and Chief Songwriter with one of the most acclaimed and adored British bands in decades.

Amy Winehouse - unbelievable vocalist, good songwriter

Mr Kipling - The Jungle book is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

1. Gemma Atkinson..... a pair of jugs
    2.Brenden o connor......who is he!
    3.Any big bro contestants
    4.Cheryl Tweedy cole....rhymes with a**hole
    5.Paris Hilton......airhead

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Completely disagree with Amy Winehouse- amazing singer and songwriter. with a sad drug addiction.

However any of those footballers wives and Paris Hilton are useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

ashyle wrote: »
    However any of those footballers wives and Paris Hilton are useless

Agreed, except maybe for Louise Redknapp, at least she has done something other than marrying someone famous.

Jordan, for using her son and his disability to make herself rich.

Any Big Brother contestant ever especially the ones who sell their 'exclusive' or 'tell all' stories to EVERY magazine, and before anyone says anything, no I don't but those thrashy magazines but I do notice the headlines while I'm queuing in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

That guy Jack who used be Jade Goody's bf, why was he famous again?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Pete Doherty
    Kerry Katona
    Amy Winehouse As OP

Jorden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

latchyco wrote: »
    Pete Doherty
    Kerry Katona
    Amy Winehouse As OP

Jorden

I'm sorry, why does Pete Doherty not deserve his fame? Because he is a drug addict? Same with Amy Winehouse. They are both enormously talented people, and are both widely recognised as such. So for people to lump them in with talentless, pointless celebrities like Paris Hilton or Kerry Katona is just idiotic in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm sorry, why does Pete Doherty not deserve his fame? Because he is a drug addict? Same with Amy Winehouse. They are both enormously talented people, and are both widely recognised as such. So for people to lump them in with talentless, pointless celebrities like Paris Hilton or Kerry Katona is just idiotic in my opinion

Ah but they ARENT!They've both carved very tenous positions for themselves in a very fickle industry.I dont know one person who can hum a Babyshambles song and Amy Shiitehouse has had,what,two,three songs?In fact Kerry Katona had more sucess with atomic kitten than keith doherty has had so far.Enormously talented people,eh?When i hear that i think of the guy who wrote Fairy Tale of New York or the guy who plays guitar on Sweet Child O mine,both of whom have sreious addiction problems.Winehouse and Doherty are come-lately,flash-in-the-pans,no talent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

To quote the legendary Trigger
    "Gandhi ,he made one great film and you never heard of him again"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

What's idiotic in MY opinion is the classing of Peter and Amy as enormously talented. He's had his five minutes, give her 6 months.

• Advertisement

TelePaul wrote: »
    What's idiotic in MY opinion is the classing of Peter and Amy as enormously talented. He's had his five minutes, give her 6 months.

If i was a judge i'd happily give her six months.Along with her halfwitted fans.

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah but they ARENT!They've both carved very tenous positions for themselves in a very fickle industry.I dont know one person who can hum a Babyshambles song and Amy Shiitehouse has had,what,two,three songs?In fact Kerry Katona had more sucess with atomic kitten than keith doherty has had so far.Enormously talented people,eh?When i hear that i think of the guy who wrote Fairy Tale of New York or the guy who plays guitar on Sweet Child O mine,both of whom have sreious addiction problems.Winehouse and Doherty are come-lately,flash-in-the-pans,no talent at all.
    Why are you judging talent with popularity and sales? Van Gogh was a nobody his whole life and died relatively unknown and broke. Fame came long after. Was he a "come lately flash in the pan with no talent at all"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Pete Doherty had a level of fame for his music for the last 5 years , The non music stuff is sad and irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Atomic Kitten more successful than Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse? Can't compare a couple of no.1 and pre-teen fans with well selling albums, critical acclaim and hoards of loyal fans.
    Not to mention the influence The Libertines have had on today's british music scene (not such a great thing).
    Just cos you and your friends don't know their music doesn't validate your opinion.

Pighead wrote: »
    Why are you judging talent with popularity and sales? Van Gogh was a nobody his whole life and died relatively unknown and broke. Fame came long after. Was he a "come lately flash in the pan with no talent at all"?

I reckon van Gough was crap,nobody liked his paintings and thats why they didnt sell.Only some pretentious tossers came along years after the event and said "oh my god,thats so cool,jeremy,i gotta have that".Perhaps in a hundred,or more likely a thousand years somebody will look at your postings here as something more than the drivel that they are,and you,too may be famous.

Atomic Kitten more successful than Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse? Can't compare a couple of no.1 and pre-teen fans with well selling albums, critical acclaim and hoards of loyal fans.
    Not to mention the influence The Libertines have had on today's british music scene (not such a great thing).
    Just cos you and your friends don't know their music doesn't validate your opinion.

Pre-teens buy records.Number ones equate with records sold,critical acclaim is no use if you live in a bedsit and nobody is buying your music."Hoards of loyal fans" could also be construed as a bunch of misguided halfwits who dont know shiit from shinola about music...look at westlife..and even they've done infinatly better than Doherty and Winehouse.

Why are you judging talent with popularity and sales?

How else can you judge talent? I mean I hate ABBA but no doubt they were talented enough to sell alot of records.

Pre-teens buy records.Number ones equate with records sold,critical acclaim is no use if you live in a bedsit and nobody is buying your music."Hoards of loyal fans" could also be construed as a bunch of misguided halfwits who dont know shiit from shinola about music...look at westlife..and even they've done infinatly better than Doherty and Winehouse.

+1 You and I are on the same page!

If Babyshambles and The Libertines are selling as many albums as the beatles are today in forty years, feel free to say 'I told you so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Amy Winehouse is horribly overrated, but she does deserve some fame
    Pete Doherty is brilliant

Girls aloud
    Big Brother contestants
    any "model" from Ireland
    (Ireland doesn't have models, it has promotions girls)
    any actor from the disney channel

• Advertisement

If Babyshambles and The Libertines are selling as many albums as the beatles are today in forty years, feel free to say 'I told you so'.

So you need to sell as many as the Beatles to be considered successfull? My point was not wether or not they deserved their success but to counter the point that degsy made about them being unsuccessful because he or the people he knows can't name their songs.
    Its like using his ignorance as a reason for him being right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Any of Ireland's "models"....the only one of them that I ever rated was Yvonne Connolly (Ronan Keating's wife, lucky git!!), she was classy in her prime modelling days and didn't get her arse out. And she is stunning....can't really say any of the promotion girls today are even half as naturally pretty as she is.

Any of those Big Brother contestants and any has been celebs that go on those sort of shows.

How else can you judge talent? I mean I hate ABBA but no doubt they were talented enough to sell alot of records.
    Ah right then fair enough. Popularity +sales=talent. Cheeky girls, X-Factor winners and East 17 we salute you.

So you need to sell as many as the Beatles to be considered successfull? My point was not wether or not they deserved their success but to counter the point that degsy made about them being unsuccessful because he or the people he knows can't name their songs.
    Its like using his ignorance as a reason for him being right.

No you don't need to sell as many as the beatles to be considered successful, but can we please use some sort of benchmark? Otherwise this thread will de-generate into the much-loved though unproductive Father Ted argument between Dougal and Fr. Damo ("who do ya prefer, Blue or Oasis?").

The point (an irrefutable one) is that one person liking or disliking a particular thing does not justify it's appeal or unappeal. I used the Beatles as an example because you cannot deny that they're deservedly successful - if you did so, you'd probably be argueing with alot more people than just me or Degsy.

Personally, when someone mentions Pete Doherty's name, I'll think of 'Class A drug-addict' before I think of "moderately successful London-based musician with cult following". I think the number of times he's appeared in the media (relevant, considering this is a celeb and showbiz forum) for drugs charges far outweighs the number of times he has appeared in connection with his music. So perhaps the real argument is that he's deserving of infamy or notoriety, though not necessarily fame, at least in the conventional sense.

Ah right then fair enough. Popularity +sales=talent. Cheeky girls, X-Factor winners and East 17 we salute you.

Ah right then fair enough. Talent = what appeals to you personally? Please, are people still using such a ridiculous argument? This whole thread is in danger of turning into a pissing match based on personal taste. I neither love nor hate Pete Doherty, nor Amy Winehouse. I just happen to think they're attributed more credit and attention than they deserve.

Ah right then fair enough. Talent = what appeals to you personally? Please, are people still using such a ridiculous argument? This whole thread is in danger of turning into a pissing match based on personal taste. I neither love nor hate Pete Doherty, nor Amy Winehouse. I just happen to think they're attributed more credit and attention than they deserve.
    No problem at all with that viewpoint. Anybody who's ever heard Winehouse sing and perform can surely see she possesses talent.(You maightn't like the skanky bitch but she's definitely talented)

No problem at all with that viewpoint. Its cnuts like Degsy coming in with half arsed arguments saying that Winehouse and Doherty don't possess any talent whatsoever that gets Pigheads goat. Anybody who's ever heard Winehouse sing and perform can surely see she possesses talent.(You maightn't like the skanky bitch but she's definitely talented)

That's gettin a bit outta hand man, it's a discussion about famous people. I thought Degsy's posts were funny, I don't agree with his Van Gough point of view but I thought it was hilarious.

That's gettin a bit outta hand man, it's a discussion about famous people. I thought Degsy's posts were funny, I don't agree with his Van Gough point of view but I thought it was hilarious.
    But he is a cnut? Why is it out of hand? Degsy will tell you himself that he's a cnut. Pigheads not trying to rattle anybodies cage here, just partaking in a bit of celebrity chit chat.

No you don't need to sell as many as the beatles to be considered successful, but can we please use some sort of benchmark? Otherwise this thread will de-generate into the much-loved though unproductive Father Ted argument between Dougal and Fr. Damo ("who do ya prefer, Blue or Oasis?").

The point (an irrefutable one) is that one person liking or disliking a particular thing does not justify it's appeal or unappeal. I used the Beatles as an example because you cannot deny that they're deservedly successful - if you did so, you'd probably be argueing with alot more people than just me or Degsy.

Personally, when someone mentions Pete Doherty's name, I'll think of 'Class A drug-addict' before I think of "moderately successful London-based musician with cult following". I think the number of times he's appeared in the media (relevant, considering this is a celeb and showbiz forum) for drugs charges far outweighs the number of times he has appeared in connection with his music. So perhaps the real argument is that he's deserving of infamy or notoriety, though not necessarily fame, at least in the conventional sense.

Thats fair enough and I agree with you to some extent, however you can't disregard the fame they has courted for their music as unconventional. Since when has having your mug in the tabliods been considered as the 'conventional' way of gaining notoriety?
    My main beef was with Degsy, only because his reason for calling them 'talentless' and Amy '****ehouse' because he didn't know anybody familiar with their music. And then imply that their fans might be deluded in some way, with a paticular fondness of the word 'halfwit'. I suppose it must take one to reckognise one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

All the Irish Models - especially Glenda Gilson, weird eyebrows alert and she aint that pretty at all.

Paris Hilton - famous simply because she is related to the founder of the Hilton Hotels Chain

All the ex big brother contestants

Jodie Marsh

Abby Titmuss

Victoria Beckham - can't sing (how the hell did she get chosen to be in a girl group, pathetic). The most famous out of the spice girls because of who she is married to.

Advertisement