Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeling confused.. what are yer thoughts?

• 30-06-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

My mind is all over the place, hopefully ye will share yer thoughts/knowledge with me.

I've been teaching in a school in a different county (90 minutes away) for the last two years and have been offered a job there for next year. I was privately paid by the school for the first year and then by the department last year. I have 22 hours. Ive moved and lived in this county for the last two years.

This year, like so many of us nowadays (with commitments at home) I just dont want to move again and live down there. So im thinking I either commute or look for a job closer to home.

I have applied for a few jobs closer to home this Summer and have been called for interview for one tomorrow. Its 11 hours job share for the year. Im just thinking if I get offered the job do I accept it? Can I really turn down a possibility of my CID next year in my current school? If I do get my CID in my current school what are my chances of getting home in the next couple of years?

I just qualified in 2011, I find these decisions scary as its just the unknown that comes with them. Regardless, I am very happy to have a job, Im not denying that!

Please share if you have any thoughts or words of wisdom...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

11 hours generally works out as more than 50% of pay. You could also supplement by correcting mocks and maybe doing grinds if your timetable isn't as busy as 22 hours. No point in having a CID where you don't want it. I am in the exact same boat but have decided to stay where I am working and eventually buy up there. I enjoy working where I do and it would be a nice place to live. If I wasn't happy I would be looking for 11 hour jobs nearer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Job share unfortunately might lead to nothing, no CID etc. Similar to a career break or mat leave. Also you could get a CID in your own place but it means nothing regarding moving, only makes it worse. Its basically a personal decision you must take and either reap or regret the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I think you'd be crazy to take a one year job share of 11 hrs over a 22 hour possible CID. 22 hrs is like the Holy Grail from what I can gather on here and from some of the part timers in our school. Job share timetables can be good, allowing you to pick up hrs elsewhere if you have good subjects but they can also be horrendous with early and late classes everyday giving you lots of time to drink coffee during the day but you'll only be paid for 11 hrs.

90 mins is a tough commute but at least you're doing it for full hours. Some people have to commute for far less hours making it ridiculous but necessary until they get something better long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

rose23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I really turn down a possibility of my CID next year in my current school?

If I do get my CID in my current school what are my chances of getting home in the next couple of years?

A 90 minute commute is long but just about manageable in terms of time. However it would cost a fortune in petrol. A 90 minute commute must compute to around a 150 mile round trip. In a week that's 750 miles. You'd be well into three figures for petrol unless you have a very economical car. That diminishes the monetary gap between the two I would say.

Turning down the possibility of my CID next year in your current school depends largely on the alternative. A job share which could go at the drop of a hat seems a poor alternative on the face of it. Then again if it's down the road with petrol not a significant issue and there are possibilities in the other school e.g. the sharing teacher getting near the end or whatever things change.

The second question - nobody knows what the chances are of 'getting home' but taking a CID in the current school does not lessen the chances. You can walk out on your CID anytime you get a sufficiently attractive offer nearer home. But having it gives you security and career-wise looks better and gives you continuity in a teaching jobs market that is very difficult at the moment. On the other hand many people worked in certain places fully intending to move 'home' and it never happened and they built a new life elsewhere. Funny how life can work out.

Objectively speaking, without knowing your personal circumstances or feelings 11 hours job share is not an option as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Thanks very much for the replies and advice. There are pros and cons to both. I understand what I have seems like the ideal situation only the schools location doesn't suit me. I'm going to go for this interview today and see what happens from there then.

• Advertisement

So I got offered the job, I've until tomorrow to decide. I think Im going to accept it. At least it will keep me going for the year and I get to live here at home where my life is wihch will make me happier regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

rose23 wrote: »
    So I got offered the job, I've until tomorrow to decide. I think Im going to accept it. At least it will keep me going for the year and I get to live here at home where my life is wihch will make me happier regardless!
    I was in a VERY similar position 8 years ago. Except the job I was offered was actually more or less guaranteed to be a permanent job the following year (which it was ). It was good bit further and I just did not like the school to be honest.
    I went with my gut/heart . Slugged it out for a few years in my preferred school on lower hours and got permanent after 4 years.
    Best decision I ever made .
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Congrats, just for the viewers at home could you let us in on what you think got you the job (in general terms). Any tips?

km79 wrote: »
    I was in a VERY similar position 8 years ago. Except the job I was offered was actually more or less guaranteed to be a permanent job the following year (which it was ). It was good bit further and I just did not like the school to be honest.
    I went with my gut/heart . Slugged it out for a few years in my preferred school on lower hours and got permanent after 4 years.
    Best decision I ever made .
    Best of luck

Good for you!! I hope I have a success story like yours some day! I suppose we have to live for the moment and follow our gut! Thanks for the reply!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Congrats, just for the viewers at home could you let us in on what you think got you the job (in general terms). Any tips?

Oh god I dunno. I've been very lucky so far, any interview I've gone for I've got offered the job (thats 5 at this stage). Im very passionnate about teaching so I presume that comes across. My subject is French. I got a first class honours in my HDip, the last 3 principals commented on that in the interview and asked me what my secret was. I've several years experience in a range of schools. So I presume that combined works for me or else its just luck ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement