Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to sing and play bass at same time

• 14-02-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

ive been used to sitting back and playing bass in the backround but have started a new band with a friend where we have no singer . Ive decide to step up to the plate and sing and bass simultaneously . Its okay when the bass is simple but when things get fast or tricky it all goes pear shaped , does any one have any practice tips for developing the ability to sing and play at the same time ?any help much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

you just have to learn the songs INSIDE OUT, so much so that you don't need to think of what you're playing, you're just able to play it!!! it's all about practise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I can't do it myself but I do recall an article with Geddy Lee from Rush (who has some incredibly difficult lines to sing over) who said that he just learns the bass lines so well he doesn't have to think about it and can then sing away. He just repeatedly practices the lines until they're hammered into his brain.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

lyrics are possibly the most important thing in a song, i said possibly, so you must really learn those basss lines off by heart until your playing them in your head over and over again. Then you can devote a lot more thought into the singing aspect. As with anything really practise practise practise!!!

and have fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

agrees with the Doc of course mind you Geddy Lee not only does that but simultanniously plays foot keyboards as he sings and does bass !!!
    whos the man!!!

ciao'...Baggio......

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Zoton

It also helps if you know the lyrics thoroughly, that way you're not thinking too much about what comes next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement