Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sportsbras?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi recently taken up running and was just wondering where I could get a sports-bra? maybe a cheap one first until I get to the feel for them. Is Pennys a reasonable bet for starters?.

Thanks

F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Depending on the size of your chest, tbh if you're a C cup upwards stay away from penny's as they offer no support at all!

I'd suggest a maximum support bra for running like Freya (which I find great) or shock absorber (haven't used these myself) but available in sports shops..They can be expensive but worth it.

Just to add - keep your eye out on Aldi as they had a range of sports bras last year for €10, I only bought one and raging now as I find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Pennies sports bras are terrible, regardless of size. M&S and Debenhams have some that work brilliantly, you may still get some in the sales! They tend to go from mid range to expensive so you could find you that suits you and your pocket. Make sure you get as "firm" support as you can because it can get very uncomfortable running or jumping about with a less supportive one, even if it is still a sports bra. Most sports shops also sell them (again, there may be some left in sales) but they can be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Sorry to jump on this thread, but could someone recommend one for a D cup? I'm wary of anything not branded (i.e. Penneys/Dunnes) and can't shop in TK Maxx for the Nike/Adidas ones because I need a S-M band but a L cup size.

I'd prefer to get one with enough support for running, as I'm planning on working my way up to that so don't really feel the need to buy anything with less support (plus with being a student, I feel extremely horrified at forking out 40 odd euro for gym wear).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dwellondreams

Really recommend the shock absorber sports bras! They can be expensive in shops, but you can get them on ebay for about €20 if you know your size (that's where I get mine). I think I've heard people recommend you should order a size smaller than you usually would - I'm a 34C/32D but my shock absorber bras are 32C and they fit perfectly and offer AMAZING support!

I found the shock absorber awful.
    Monobooby affairs with no support.
    Now maybe that is because I'm a bigger size.
    Definitely worth trying them on before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi all,thanks for advice,took a look in Debenhams and was shocked at starting prices of E30,there didn't appear to be any left in the sales.

So purely on economic grounds,and to get a feel for them,I got 2 for E7 in penneys,not yet tried them on,I expect though to be upgrading fairly soon if they are as poor as is said here,will keep my eye out for any deals in M &S (on-line,none in my home town,though I do visit Galway often) and offers in Debenhams.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a few Nike ones that I picked up in sales in various sports shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I find my Shock Absorber bra does the job, and I'm a 32F. It stops me flying everywhere when I'm running, and isn't too tight on my chest either. They are expensive but mine has lasted me over a year; although I'm used to forking out for bras anyway, given my size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Well I'm a 32D and I use Adidas sports bras. I find them brilliant. As others have said, if you are over a C-cup you will need decent support. I'd avoid the Penneys & Dunnes ones. Stick to proper ones in sports shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I've always used Shock Absorber. Initially the ones I used gave me the dreaded pointy Madonna boob but I got a different one recently, it's a purply/pink and blue one, and it gives a much more natural look and the twins don't go anywhere! Great support and I'm 32ff/32g so finding a decent bra is always a challenge. I got mine in Debenhams for about €22 in the after Christmas sale. Maybe go in store and try some on and get them on ebay when you figure out your size? Don't forget to do the bounce test in the changing room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Don't forget to do the bounce test in the changing room!

Had to laugh - I jump up and down in changing rooms for when shopping for any bras, people working in the shops (or other shoppers) must think I'm mad!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got the Panache underwired one there before Christmas, love it. Found I had to go down 1-2 cup sizes to get the right level of support (I got mine in a 30G). Very comfortable though, you honestly don't feel the underwires, and it's very supportive. Looks decent under clothes too, none of the squished down monoboob look. Not cheap though, I paid €53 for it in Peaches and Cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I buy mine on ebay. I use a brand called Coobie - their sizing is a quite snug, and I use them exclusively for running in, no bounce. Theyre cheap too, under 20 euro.

Freiheit wrote: »
    Hi all,thanks for advice,took a look in Debenhams and was shocked at starting prices of E30,there didn't appear to be any left in the sales.

So purely on economic grounds,and to get a feel for them,I got 2 for E7 in penneys,not yet tried them on,I expect though to be upgrading fairly soon if they are as poor as is said here,will keep my eye out for any deals in M &S (on-line,none in my home town,though I do visit Galway often) and offers in Debenhams.

They just never seem to have any deals going on decent spots bras, always very expensive!

Has anyone seen any good offers lately?

tan11ie wrote: »
    They just never seem to have any deals going on decent spots bras, always very expensive!

Has anyone seen any good offers lately?

There was one with €7.50 off Shock Absorber bras in Debenhams earlier this month, not sure if it's still going. Think some of the UK sports retailers (Sweatshop etc) have similar deals on.

January isn't a good time of year for this sort of deal though, because so many people are getting fit as a New Year's resolution!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Whenever I've seen Shock Absorbers in TK Maxx they're been the D+ range, so if you're a bigger cup definitely keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I'm a 32A and I think the Pennys ones are brilliant.

Twee. wrote: »
    Whenever I've seen Shock Absorbers in TK Maxx they're been the D+ range, so if you're a bigger cup definitely keep an eye out.

Bear in mind too that the bands can run quite small in the Shock Absorber D+ models (N109/B4490), it can be worth going up one band size for comfort.

Twee. wrote: »

Thanks Twee,didn't think TK Maxx sold them I'll be keeping my eye out now.

Hi just to say that I'm now happy with New Balance 'L', a former Irish Olympian was the sale's assistant and chose it for me. Quite comfy and prevent's what was an uncomfortable bounce. She charged me just E10 but claims it was E30 or E40 previously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but does anyone know where I could get a good sports bra in a 34HH? I can't seem to find any that go above a G, and the Gs I've tried don't fit! I'd be happy even with a H rather than a HH. Money isn't an issue, so any price is fine, but I'd prefer to get it in a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin. Getting sick of my boobs smacking me in the face in my bootcamp classes! :o :pac:

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but does anyone know where I could get a good sports bra in a 34HH? I can't seem to find any that go above a G, and the Gs I've tried don't fit! I'd be happy even with a H rather than a HH. Money isn't an issue, so any price is fine, but I'd prefer to get it in a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin. Getting sick of my boobs smacking me in the face in my bootcamp classes! :o :pac:

The Panache one should be available up to a H cup, and it's probably worth sizing down one cup anyway for extra mashability. Should be available in Arnotts (both the lingerie department and Elverys in the basement), Bramora, Peaches and Cream and Debenhams. The Shock Absorber N109 is also available in a H cup but isn't quite as comfortable as the Panache one.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I have two ones from Penneys that i use for soccer/camogie training. For a match or running I would use a Nike one that's designed for high impact. I have teeny tiny boobies though!

Hi sorry to revive this old thread, but I need more than the 3 I now have. Got 3 'New Balance L' and happy with them. But tbh I need 6 or 7, I'm very physically active and could change twice in a day. Is there any cheap one's in Dunnes or Penney's or Guiney's etc that would do me for shorter periods, for example a game of tennis or a cycle? An equivilant of New Balance L? danke
    K:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement