Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High risk stocks (Petroceltic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I think the same way the market thinks, Petroceltic -5%, Melrose +5%
    Could be good in the longer term but I think shareholders in PCI need a return sooner rather than later - the wheelbarrow has been pushed for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zagamuffin

Agree , believe its prob good in the medlong to long term bit I was hoping to get a short term payback after olding for the long term !!!!

Frustrating this share but potential and upside to to large to get off, sit and wait pattern as usual......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Restoration Company

No Risk No brainer, SCLP, XEN, FUM DYOR

No Risk No brainer, SCLP, XEN, FUM DYOR
    No stock is zero risk , good 1st post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Restoration Company

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OBRIEN552008

Excuse my ignorance but what is the advantage of the merger for a petroceltic shareholder v a Melrose shareholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Excuse my ignorance but what is the advantage of the merger for a petroceltic shareholder v a Melrose shareholder?
    They are looking at a longer term build to establish a strong company.
    It gives is more fire power down the line,skills and knowledge swap,greater exploration but I reckon this will be a slower burner than I had planned for.
    In it a long time now but looks like we could be heading for a 2-3 yr mark to get a decent return once things go to plan.

Sappa wrote: »
    I reckon this will be a slower burner than I had planned for.
    In it a long time now but looks like we could be heading for a 2-3 yr mark to get a decent return

I disagree,
    a move to the FTSE main market will lift the SP on its own. Petrocletic will move from being a small struggling tin pot of an exploration company to a major player in the MENA region. I believe the arrival of Tom Hickey on the scene has transformed this company, Its objectives are now a lot clearer
    Once the dust settles expect significant SP movement upwards over the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Grecco wrote: »
    Sappa wrote: »
    I reckon this will be a slower burner than I had planned for.
    In it a long time now but looks like we could be heading for a 2-3 yr mark to get a decent return

I disagree,
    a move to the FTSE main market will lift the SP on its own. Petrocletic will move from being a small struggling tin pot of an exploration company to a major player in the MENA region. I believe the arrival of Tom Hickey on the scene has transformed this company, Its objectives are now a lot clearer
    Once the dust settles expect significant SP movement upwards over the next 6 months.
    I hope your right grecco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

I have never bought a stock before, having read this forum and numerous press releases etc I would like to buy some shares in this company (not a large amount by any means). I am fully aware the risks etc of investing in such a stock but would simply like to know whats the quickest, simplest and most cost effective option to buy this particular share?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

liamjames1 wrote: »
    I am fully aware the risks etc of investing in such a stock
    thanks

Good, so you won`t take it so bad if after everything going right for a stock like this the share price still drops 25% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

I disagree,

What about reverse split/consolidation?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

I disagree,

Think your '6 months' might be a bit optimistic - in the press release last week they mentioned taking Oil out of the ground in Algeria sometime in the period 2014 to 2017.

Petroceltic, with partners, have had a huge oil and gas find in Algeria [look at the press releases on their website www.petroceltic.ie for details].

P/celtic had a number of options in order to fund getting the oil out of the ground, they could have brought in another partner [farmed out a stake], tried to raise money on the markets or tried to borrow money.

This deal is a combination of some of the above. Melrose already has cashflow, whereas P/celtic has prospects. Using their cashflow and assets, P/celtic will be able to borrow or finance the amounts they need to raise.

For a melrose s/holder, the advantage is that they get access to the huge Algerian find in exchange for the 'borrowability' of their current cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rs500ff

As a long term holder I've been reeding up on this and I'm in two minds.
    My main concern is what will happen to my shares as they stand.
    Will they be consolidated or diluted?

In the short term I can only see this proving to be a loser for the small guy.

Latest release from the Company as of this morning

Interim Results and Operational Update - Six months ended June 30th, 2012

28/08/2012

Petroceltic International plc (“Petroceltic” or “the Company”), the independent oil & gas exploration company focused on the Middle East-North Africa (“MENA”) and Mediterranean region today announces its results for the period ended 30 June 2012.

Highlights:
    •Proposed Merger of Petroceltic & Melrose Resources plc (‘Melrose’) announced 17 August.
    •Declaration of Commerciality announced 9 August for the Ain Tsila Field in Algeria.
    •Final Discovery Report filed with the Algerian Competent Authorities.
    •Petroceltic estimates the Ain Tsila field to contain gross resources of 2.2 Tcf of sales gas, 70 MMbbl of condensate and 113 MMbbl of LPG.
    •Agreement reached with Sonatrach to market the Ain Tsila gas at a price linked to Brent oil price.
    •Seismic acquisition underway in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
    •Award of two licences in the central Adriatic, offshore Italy.
    •Italian Legislative Decree 83/2012 approved by Italian Parliament 12 August, provides for the potential resumption of activities offshore Italy.
    •Preparations for drilling of high value Carpignano Sesia prospect (formerly Rovasenda) in Italy in early 2013.
    •Funded and well placed to continue to develop and grow the business. Cash position of US$51.1m at 27 August 2012 with no debt.

Brian O’Cathain, Chief Executive of Petroceltic commented:

“This is a transformational time for Petroceltic, the proposed merger with Melrose has a compelling strategic and commercial logic, creating a regional leader with a diversified portfolio of producing, development and high impact exploration assets. Upon approval by shareholders of Petroceltic and Melrose of the proposed merger, the Enlarged Group will be well funded, capable of sustained long term growth and of delivering significant value to our shareholders. During the first half of 2012, Petroceltic has achieved some significant operational and commercial milestones in both Algeria and Italy, and has made good progress with seismic acquisition in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Our next important task will be the commencement of the development planning phase on Ain Tsila, in conjunction with our partners Sonatrach and Enel”.

www.petroceltic.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

rs500ff wrote: »
    As a long term holder I've been reeding up on this and I'm in two minds.
    My main concern is what will happen to my shares as they stand.
    Will they be consolidated or diluted?

In the short term I can only see this proving to be a loser for the small guy.

Tom Hickey is speaking at Oil Barrell on 13th September, we should have some answers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Has anyone got any thoughts or outlooks on Petroneft ? They are drilling out in Siberia and intend to drill about 10 wells in total. One is producing steady at about 2400bpd. I read the other day that a big company in the area bought out a smaller one, valuing their reserves at 2.35 a barrel but Petronefts valuation is sitting on 88c a barrel so a few analysts reckon they're vastly undervalued and the upside should be coming soon so long as the other 9 wells come on stream.
    CEO is an Irishman Dennis Francis, can't seem to find too much about his working history online.

So just wondering if anyone here is on them or have looked at them ? I'm a beginner at this game but looking at a play soon. The news coming from them seems to be quite positive of late so just looking to get others thoughts on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Buy they are undervalued - i believe it will move upwards sharply very soon

RATM wrote: »
    Has anyone got any thoughts or outlooks on Petroneft ? They are drilling out in Siberia and intend to drill about 10 wells in total. One is producing steady at about 2400bpd. I read the other day that a big company in the area bought out a smaller one, valuing their reserves at 2.35 a barrel but Petronefts valuation is sitting on 88c a barrel so a few analysts reckon they're vastly undervalued and the upside should be coming soon so long as the other 9 wells come on stream.
    CEO is an Irishman Dennis Francis, can't seem to find too much about his working history online.

So just wondering if anyone here is on them or have looked at them ? I'm a beginner at this game but looking at a play soon. The news coming from them seems to be quite positive of late so just looking to get others thoughts on them.

This a PCI thread pal and some of us are little too anxious to be concerned with other small caps!

This a PCI thread pal and some of us are little too anxious to be concerned with other small caps!

Start a new thread for petroneft maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Lplated wrote: »
    Start a new thread for petroneft maybe??

Done :D

Have RNS alerts in place for all my portfolio but this one is driving me mad,must switch it off for now, RNS alerts several times a day with share disclosures etc related to merger...

Waiting on USOP RNSs so jump everything phone or pad pings....

Is there any current interest in the current debacle here with World View?
    I'm assuming many of you have sold out at this stage.
    I'm still in and eagerly awaiting the outcome to see if Brian O'Cathain will get the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Is there any current interest in the current debacle here with World View?
    I'm assuming many of you have sold out at this stage.
    I'm still in and eagerly awaiting the outcome to see if Brian O'Cathain will get the bullet.

From the Irish Times

The board of Petroceltic says it has been endorsed by three leading shareholder advisory groups in its fight with investor Worldview.
    The Dublin-based oil and gas explorer is trying to fend off moves by the Swiss hedge fund to oust its chief executive Brian O’Cathain.
    It said top corporate governance advisory firms - ISS and Glass Lewis - have advised shareholders to vote against resolutions proposed by Worldview at a crunch EGM next week.
    A third advisory group Pirc recommended shareholders abstain on a resolution to remove Mr O’Cathain, while voting against resolutions to appoint Worldview candidates, Maurice Dijols and Angelo Moskov, to the board.
    The company claimed the recommendations represented a strong endorsement of its strategy and corporate governance.
    “These three independent corporate governance groups have completed detailed analysis of this situation and have taken the views of both sides into consideration,” Petroceltic chairman Robert Adair said.
    “We welcome these conclusions and believe that this represents a vote of confidence in the existing board, its strategy and governance.”
    The latest salvo in the increasingly fraught war of words between Petroceltic and Worldview comes ahead of next Wednesday’s EGM.
    The Swiss fund, which owns a 29 per cent stake in the company, has been in a wrangle with management over a string of alleged corporate governance failings, which it blames on Mr O’Cathain.
    It accuses Petroceltic of reneging on an agreement to undertake a strategic review of the company in return for Worldview’s consent to a $100 million share placing last year.
    However, Petroceltic claims the allegations are merely a ruse to gain control of the company without buying it.
    Last week, Mr O’Cathain said he was prepared to sit down and talk with Worldview but could not get the Swiss group to return his calls.
    He also claimed he would not be surprise if energy group Dragon Oil, which aborted a bid to acquire Petroceltic in December because of the drop in oil prices, came back with another bid for the company.
    In a broker’s note, Goodbody said: “As an independent entity we continue see value in Petroceltic, even if the lack of exploration success has limited near term catalysts.”
    “In the circumstances, we are not surprised to see commentary that management would be open to a fresh approach from Dragon Oil.”
    “Whether that emerges or not, consolidation around the core assets of Algeria and Egypt and pressure from an activist shareholder is likely to see Petroceltic feature as a potential M&A target.”

I'm assuming nobody gives a sh*t about this joke shop anymore:

"
    Dublin-based oil and gas explorer Petroceltic International has agreed with its partner to withdraw from the Dinarta licence in Kurdistan region of Iraq.
    The company said the decision was made in light of the current low oil price environment, lack of conclusive well results to date and the limited time remaining in the current period of the Production Sharing Contract for the Dinarta licence.
    Petroceltic’s parner - Hess - is the operator of the Dinarta licence with a 64 per cent stake. Petroceltic owns 16 per cent of the venture, and the Kurdistan regional government holds 20 per cent.
    The three stakeholders have encountered significant operational challenges since the resumption of drilling on 2 October 2014.
    Petroceltic chief executive Brian O’Cathain said the explorer’s strategy remains focussed on delivering from its core producing and development assets, whilst maintaining balanced exposure to longer term exploration led growth wherever possible.
    “In light of this, and the current oil price environment, the decision to withdraw from Kurdistan is the right one for the business,” he added."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Turning into a car crash. Hard not to feel some sympathy for Worldview's recent actions. Just a train of bad management and bad business decisions.

Advertisement