Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL: 2012 Playoffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Nashville are this year's one to watch.

Very happy that the Coyotes are through, even though they're probably heading to Quebec regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Yeah, as a Ducks fan I'm well aware of how effective the Preds game is - they always beat us! But I wouldn't discount the Blues continuing to ride their remarkable season or the Kings who have a lot of talent throughout their roster and importantly a tremendous netminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Big game for the Devils tonight. Losing to the Panthers would be humiliating and will probably mean Parise will be leaving us too.

Really hope we can bounce back and force another game 7 in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

robby^5 wrote: »
    Big game for the Devils tonight. Losing to the Panthers would be humiliating and will probably mean Parise will be leaving us too.

And Brodeur too by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Yeah, as a Ducks fan I'm well aware of how effective the Preds game is - they always beat us! But I wouldn't discount the Blues continuing to ride their remarkable season or the Kings who have a lot of talent throughout their roster and importantly a tremendous netminder.

Welcome follow duck fan. Thought I was the only one that liked them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

cena wrote: »
    Welcome follow duck fan. Thought I was the only one that liked them

Given that Ireland isn't exactly a hotbed of hockey it wasn't a bad assumption to make.

Given that Ireland isn't exactly a hotbed of hockey it wasn't a bad assumption to make.

Is Emilio Estevez still coaching them?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

yeah the west semis should be very interesting, can see the preds winning in 5 or 6...

but the other 1 is nearly impossible to call as its going to be lucky bounces that win that 1, the blues have 2 very good keepers and kings have quick, going to be a low scoring 1 in my opinion, last 2 reg season games finished 1-0, with 1 of them going to a shoot out...

devils panthers tonight should be a good 1 with it probably going to game 7...

it will be interesting to see who comes through in the east with it still possible that 5,6,7 &8th seeds making it through to the semis, surely that would have to be a 1st?!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's embarrassing. More so that AV seemingly refuses to accept that the reason we lost was not Jonathon quick, but rather our inbility to score over the last few months. We do have a mental block when it comes to agressive goalies, made Timmy T look better than he is last year, and made Quick look better than he is this year.

Still. Preds will win the Cup this year. Certainly better than every team in the West.

Don't think we'll pose much of a threat next season. Playoffs, and probably division title, though. We need a decent Luongo trade this summer.

Only Boston and Chicago being eliminated this week will make it better! :P

Guttless performance by the Canucks. Utterly terrible to go down to LA like that. They had 4 lines of depth last year and now they struggle to get consistancy with one. There are a few players that need to look themselves in the mirror. Losing to Boston last year cant be an excuse for everything. They didnt deserve to progress. Best of luck to the Kings

They should shift the Luongo contract asap, Schneider and Lack 1/2 for next year. Still cant blame Luo for what happens in front of him but the cap space would leave lots of options for AV

2-2 after two periods in the Devils-Panthers game. If Arron Asham got 4 games for his attack on Schenn then Scottie Upshall should be looking at something similar for punching Bernier in the back of the head twice whilst face down on the ice. Disgusting.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching the first Game 7 of the playoffs tonight? Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

For sure, nothing could keep me away from this game. Really hoping tonight is the night when our front lines start kicking into gear.

Last couple of games they have shown signs of getting into it more, with Sequins OT goal in D.C hopefully the weight is gone now and the goals and confidence will start to flow. This is gonna be a tough game, with a lot of nerves.

We gotta stay out of the box, stay calm and disciplined, while playing strong and physical. BRING IT ON !!!

definetly watching this game tonight, been a great series to watch... great teams defensively....

hope to see the caps win this 1, which i think they can do!!! but it will be close!

Tempted to put money on the Capitals, they look like decent value at 2.55

yeah it wouldnt be a bad bet, no1 is safe at home in these playoffs, and it just doesnt seem to be an advantage.... in fact its been a disadvantage to alot of teams already...

but then again it is game 7, different rules apply...

but not a bad bet!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    yeah it wouldnt be a bad bet, no1 is safe at home in these playoffs, and it just doesnt seem to be an advantage.... in fact its been a disadvantage to alot of teams already...

but then again it is game 7, different rules apply...

but not a bad bet!

Went with Washington at 2.6 and the over at 1.83. So rest assured you have a 2-1 Boston win on the way!

In the matchups that went to a Game 7 last year, 4 of 7 were won by the team with home advantage.

The previous year, all four were won by the away team. I think the bookies lean quite heavily with the home team, will be backing Ottawa tomorrow too. Not New Jersey though, no value in them.

good first period there, fingers crossed they keep the lead...

from the 7 game 7s last year, the first team to score in each went on to win.... hopefully that trend continues!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

Could it be any more delicately poised ?!?!?!

Bruins finally seem to have gained some momentum after a very disjointed first 30 minutes.

YES!!!!

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    YES!!!!

i was waiting for this comment to come up from you, im delighted there out too...

great game so it was, couldnt take my eyes off it... still possible for 5678 east semis.... madness, come on ottawa tomorrow night!!!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    i was waiting for this comment to come up from you, im delighted there out too...

great game so it was, couldnt take my eyes off it... still possible for 5678 east semis.... madness, come on ottawa tomorrow night!!!

Have 5678 in my bracket for the east. Think Ottawa will do it. Don't really care if Florida go through. They're effectively a bottom half team anyway. Would like to see Kovalchuck do well before he comes out west for Luongo (if you're reading this Mister Gillis, that is a solid piece of advice).

Crapbag wrote: »
    Guttless performance by the Canucks. Utterly terrible to go down to LA like that. They had 4 lines of depth last year and now they struggle to get consistancy with one. There are a few players that need to look themselves in the mirror. Losing to Boston last year cant be an excuse for everything. They didnt deserve to progress. Best of luck to the Kings

They should shift the Luongo contract asap, Schneider and Lack 1/2 for next year. Still cant blame Luo for what happens in front of him but the cap space would leave lots of options for AV

Agreed. Gillis said that problems occurred after the win in Boston (in fairness, bith us and the Bruins have seemed broken since them, with us not scoring and Boston struggling to play above .500). Emotions ran very high. Think Raffi Torres was huge loss, as was Ehrhoff, mostly because the haven't been replaced.

"Guzzler" playing with an injury since Feb (ludicrous call by management) didn't help.

Twins and AN Other will be a solid line next year. Kes and Burrows on line 2, I'm thinking Higgins as the other guy there as Booth for me is either line 1 or line 3. Lappy, Booth and Kassian on the 3rd line. Malhotra, Pahlsson and Hansen on the 4th. Hoping Kovalchuk will be with the Sedins. Happy with the D. Lack and Schneids seem set for the goalie situation. Don't know about qualifying Mayray, or keeping Salo. Financially it has to be the right deal.

According to TEAM1040, Luongo has requested a trade today and will submit his list of acceptable destinations tomorrow. Sad to see him go. If he didn't have such a ridiculous contract, he'd have stayed. Our best goalie since McLean. Good for Corey, and I think good for Lou too as the pressure in a Canadian market is a bit intense. Very few goalies have 2 shutouts in one SCF (Timmy T being another). Think trading ridiculous contracts with NJ is the best of the realistic trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

For the Vancouver fans on the board:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=394143&hubname=nhl-canucks

CANUCKS' GILLIS EXPLAINS REASON BEHIND TRADING HODGSON

Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis met with the media on Tuesday to address the premature end to his team's season and spoke out for the first time on his decision to trade Cody Hodgson at the trade deadline in February.

Gillis admitted to the media that Hodgson, who along with defenceman Alexander Sulzer, was sent to the Buffalo Sabres for Zack Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani because of irreconcilable differences.

"There clearly were issues that were ongoing," Gillis said. "I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years."

Gillis also stated that leading up to the deadline, the club increased Hodgson's minutes in order to increase his trade value.

"We built him into something we could move," Gillis stated. "There were six young players that I would have traded him for if any of them were ever made available. One was made available at the trade deadline and it was Zack.

"I don't regret that trade. I'd do it today"

I could not believe how classless Gillis was by throwing Hodgson under the bus. Clearly, his trade for Kassian was an utter disaster.

Let me also throw this into the mix. If Cody was such a bad guy, what does that say about the GM who picked him with the #10 overall pick in the draft ? He must not be doing his homework, or he is a very bad at evaluation the character (and talent) of the players he is selecting.

Stay classy Mike.

I could not believe how classless Gillis was by throwing Hodgson under the bus. Clearly, his trade for Kassian was an utter disaster.

Let me also throw this into the mix. If Cody was such a bad guy, what does that say about the GM who picked him with the #10 overall pick in the draft ? He must not be doing his homework, or he is a very bad at evaluation the character (and talent) of the players he is selecting.

Stay classy Mike.

Given the shock visible on Hodgson's face on deadline day, I find it hard to believe that he really didn't want to be in the organisation. Should have held onto him for the rest of the year, and traded in the summer. You can't mould a player in 2 months and hope he's ready for playoff hockey. You just can't. Wouldn't call Cody's talent into question though.

I also really didn't like when he went about blaming the entire league for our lack of scoring. It's not us, it's that everyone else is now hyper defensive. Does not fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Don't know what to make of tonight's game. If we get through and it will be extremely tough, we have an amazing chance of going all the way. Nobody could have predicted the post season results thus far. The 3 teams I feared the most are gone! LGR!!!

Serious hatred towards Chris Neil on the Rangers forum. I hope the fans at the Garden focus on supporting as opposed to abusing him. Most are advocating "F you" chants at 11:05 in each period, which is unbelievably rare at hockey games. I have never heard foul and abusive language at a game.

In other news, looks like Luongo make be leaving Vancouver and possibly Canada. Tampa is the word on the street. To be honest, I don't think he was/is the real problem there.

COYW wrote: »
    Serious hatred towards Chris Neil on the Rangers forum. I hope the fans at the Garden focus on supporting as opposed to abusing him. Most are advocating "F you" chants, which is unbelievably rare at hockey games. I have never heard foul and abusive language at hockey games.

Having watched the game the other night, it seems as though this series is almost the Rangers vs Neil at times. He's a great agitator, but in this series he has become a scorer too. His fight against Prust the other night seemed to go on for hours.

Big hit on Boyle too despite being 6 inches shorter and 13kg lighter.

Big win in a tight game for the Rangers, Lundqvist the main man as always. Capitals await in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Big win in a tight game for the Rangers, Lundqvist the main man as always. Capitals await in the next round.

Was bricking it big time when the Senators pulled it back to 2-1. Lundqvist was outstanding as usual. Without him the Senators would have won the series without doubt. Caps are going to be flying high after knocking the Bruins out. Gonna be a very tough series.

• Advertisement

bWIVt.jpg

Big win for Phoenix last night to get their series off to a winning start in OT.

The Rangers - Caps game starts at 8pm Irish time this evening.

Advertisement