Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plan Ahead or Be Sponanious

• 07-08-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

When new PKMN games come out who here plans ahead or (like myslef) delves into the game not knowing what to expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I think being spontanious adds that bit of excitment to the game. When I got X/Y I was totally out on my feet, but it made it that bit more enjoyable. Not knowing what to expect in each gym or the Elite 4 cemented my focus on tactics. I plan to not plan for Ruby/Sapphire remake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only thing I knew in advance for X was my starter. I knew I would be getting a Torchic so no point in picking the fire option. Then it became a case of Bulbasaur or Squirtle (thought you got them sooner) and my starter was to be whatever was left over. Took Chespin in the end.

Otherwise, I go blind but try to make sure I have a balanced team and ideally made up of Pokemon I dont use all the time to allow me to try out more options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I usually try to go in relatively spontaneous, like with gnfnrhead the only stuff I'd decided for my Y game was who my starters would be. My team changed around a good few times throughout the game, picking up and dropping the likes of Pangoro, and trying a few of the fairy types before deciding I didn't like any of them :pac: With the Ruby/Sapphire remakes I was never really going to be going in blind seeing as I've played the originals a good few times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I generally go in, or at least try to, blind. It's kind of inevitable you'll run into spoilers before a new game is out. I'll usually only decide what pokemon I want upon encountering them and then once the story is over I'll look up and see what I may have missed. I will check out every house in a route or town though so I generally manage to find everything in my own.

On the Pokemon subreddits you will often see people breeding in X and Y just so they can transfer them over to ORAS. To me, that's pretty much the same as reading a guidebook before you even turn on the game. Most of the fun is in finding new Pokemon to use. I always try to use a different team every time so the idea of having your team set in stone before the game is even realesed is pretty much a waste of the game in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I can kind of understand that though if they're playing competitively. But just for a normal play through/casual battling it's pretty ridiculous IMO.

I can kind of understand that though if they're playing competitively. But just for a normal play through/casual battling it's pretty ridiculous IMO.

For them to be competitive, you need to EV train them too. You cant do much in the way of EV training early on in the game due to your limited opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I only really chose my team for X. Any other game I've played, I went in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Generally blind, but with foreknowledge of the starters and sometimes you'll have seen a couple of the new 'mon - in Gen 5 I knew about Blitzle going in and thought an electric zebra could not possibly be anything less than awesome. When I caught one it got bumped into the team immediately. Was very disappointed.

I have played Pearl with my own team pre-defined (I transferred over 6 eggs and hatched them as early as the game allowed, then freed any 'mon I had caught up to then). I'd specifically chosen the team I wanted to finish with, and they weren't all available in the game until either too late into the game for them to be useful without a tonne of grind, or not at all until after the E4. It was an opportunity to use a team I wouldn't otherwise have tried, and to hit the E4 with a team that had earned the right to be champions, not just been brought in as ringers at the last minute. And if you think that's ridiculous... well you're right, but not for the right reasons :)

Advertisement