Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How early did you definitely feel baby moving?

• 25-02-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Would like to do a poll here and see when everyone definitely felt their baby for the first time. Seems to be a big variation between women. I'm 18 weeks today and can't say I've felt anything definite yet.
    *IMPATIENT*

When did you feel baby move for the first time? 48 votes

Earlier than 14 weeks
    0% 0 votes
    14 weeks
    6% 3 votes
    15 weeks
    8% 4 votes
    16 weeks
    4% 2 votes
    17 weeks
    18% 9 votes
    18 weeks
    6% 3 votes
    19 weeks
    12% 6 votes
    20 weeks
    20% 10 votes
    21 weeks
    12% 6 votes
    22 weeks
    4% 2 votes
    23 weeks
    4% 2 votes
    24 weeks
    2% 1 vote
    25 weeks
    0% 0 votes
    Later than 25 weeks
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Hi Mink!!! I would say 18.5 weeks girl so sit tight for another few days!!! I got the bubbley flutters from 17 weeks but at 18.5 I could definitely feel her.
    And she's kicking me good style every day at 21 weeks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I was 21 weeks. I remember it as it was Christmas morning. Had been getting flutters before that but got the first good kick that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

1st baby 20 weeks, second baby, about 18 weeks(though I thought I was 11 weeks...long story).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

At 19 weeks I felt some "is that the baby or..." type feelings. A week later at 20 weeks I felt proper movement.

I didnt seem to feel flutters at all, and it went within a week from feeling nothing to feeling movement so definate that my partner could feel it too.

Having the doppler from week 11 to 21 weeks was very reassuring. Even now if baby has been a bit quiet I get the doppler out and have a quick listen but usually I can feel baby pretty much all the time now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If it makes you feel any better I'm 19 weeks on Tuesday and I can't say I've felt anything definite. I've had a few weird feelings, but they've been few and far between and until I get some proper kicks I can't judge them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I felt the 'bubbles' at around 16 weeks but it was at 18 weeks that I felt definate movement though it wasn't consistant as in everyday until around 24-25 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

On my 1st child it was bang on 19 weeks (only remember this cos it was St. Stephens day)........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks everyone, feel more reassured. Hopefully this will reassure others not feeling anything yet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I picked 23 weeks... It was either 22 or 23... or somewhere in between. It was definitely late enough though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Mink wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, feel more reassured. Hopefully this will reassure others not feeling anything yet too.

Oh dont worry at all, it can vary hugely. On first baby it was at least between 20 and 22 weeks for me to feel proper movement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I must be hyper-sensitive or something, had flutters at 15 weeks and stronger more definite movement at 16 weeks! Everyone is different I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

16 weeks for me but it`s not constant yet and I`m almost 20 weeks, hopefully soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Fri.Day wrote: »
    16 weeks for me but it`s not constant yet and I`m almost 20 weeks, hopefully soon!!
    Feeling movement since 16 weeks, but felt it with my hand on my tummy at 19 weeks. Hubby has yet to feel anything. Baby moves mostly when I'm sitting down at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I was 21 weeks before i felt baby move. Thought it would never happen but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

On my first I felt movements from 16 weeks (flutters/bubbles) & proper kicks that my husband could see clearly from 22 weeks.

However on this pregnancy, I didn't feel flutters until at least 18 weeks (very little at that) and the strong visible kicks only in the past 2-3 weeks (I'm almost 33 weeks now).

The main difference between both pregnancies is last time I had placenta previa, so the placenta was covering the birth canal & not my tum, so every little kick baby made was very obvious.
    This time, the placenta is where it should be and padding between baby and my tum, so I don't feel the kicks as strongly this time.

I think for the same reason this is why I was able to find the heart beat easier last time using a home doppler, whereas this time I found it a lot more difficult to pinpoint the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

I felt first time for sure yesterday when my hubby was talking to my belly. Baby likes Daddy :)

19 weeks and 1 day :)

I can finally answer my own question, felt some definite little kicks/prods last night. I had been feeling them a few days earlier but really wasn't sure what it was.

19 weeks tomorrow so seem to be in and around the average. But it was good to see there is such a variation of when women feel it first time, very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'm 21 and 1 today, and I think I felt a proper kick last night while playing playstation. Haven't felt anything since though, even though little miss was flailing legs and arms during our scan. But I'm really not sure.

I wish there was a way to share a sensation with someone else, so I could ask "Is that it?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Had a quick scan two days ago to check heartbeat, as couldnt be picked up on doppler:eek: but everything is ok thankfully. So I asked my consultant about movement and he said oh you are way to early ( im 18weeks 5days) but if you think you feel something then who am i to say you dont. So during scan baby was very active waving arms and legs and consultant asked me so can you feel that movement, I said no.
    So the flutters arent actual movement even though it can be reasurring to feel the flutters, consultant said when you feel the first movement of kick there will be no doubt it is movement.
    Oh and its my first baby so all new to me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Felt my first definite tap at 14 weeks, and flutters before that. I had a scan around that time and doc asked about movement. She wasn't dismissive at all. She said that very slim women (that's me) or women with weak stomach muscles (that would be me too!) feel the movement sooner. Though I've also had the experience of seeing movement on scan and feeling nothing, so I presume what I feel are the bigger movements.

• Advertisement

Rose35 wrote: »
    Had a quick scan two days ago to check heartbeat, as couldnt be picked up on doppler:eek: but everything is ok thankfully. So I asked my consultant about movement and he said oh you are way to early ( im 18weeks 5days) but if you think you feel something then who am i to say you dont. So during scan baby was very active waving arms and legs and consultant asked me so can you feel that movement, I said no.
    So the flutters arent actual movement even though it can be reasurring to feel the flutters, consultant said when you feel the first movement of kick there will be no doubt it is movement.
    Oh and its my first baby so all new to me.:)

Baby might have been in a different position to when you normally feel those flutters. I'd say go with your gut (no pun intended) feeling on it. If you're feeling some sensation that you've never felt before then it's most likely going to be the baby.

I'm 20 wks +4 & I've graduated to feeling the little kicks externally as of about a week ago. However the OH FINALLY felt a couple this morning for the first time. It's been infuriating trying to time it so he can feel them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I've only really started feeling the baby in the last week or so, and I'm well in to week 23.

But when you feel it, you'll know exactly what it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

I felt the first little flutters at around 18 weeks, and definite kicks by 21 weeks. I am now at 29 weeks and little miss kicks hard enough to bump the tv remote off of my belly. She also likes to kick her daddy in the back when we are spooning in bed in the morning :)

kaalgat wrote: »
    I felt the first little flutters at around 18 weeks, and definite kicks by 21 weeks. I am now at 29 weeks and little miss kicks hard enough to bump the tv remote off of my belly. She also likes to kick her daddy in the back when we are spooning in bed in the morning :)

I'm looking forward to all this! Reminds me of that Malteasers ad where the woman puts a sweet on her preg belly & baby kicks it off.

Advertisement