Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best New Irish Bands - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

• 13-01-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Ahoy hoy, I was wondering could some fellow boards members steer me in the direction of some new Irish music. For too long I've been out of touch with the Irish Music Scene and feel, after hearing the likes of Conor O'Brien of The Villagers live for the first time recently, that there exists a wealth of homegrown talent on my doorstep that I've been sidestepping or overlooking.

If anyone could recommend some up-and-coming bands or even some regular reputable live events, I'd be very much obligued. Thanks in advance :D

MOD NOTE: This thread is not for promoting your own band. If you wish to do so please post in the Band Promotion forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cfcciano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cfcciano

cfcciano wrote: »
    They supported ScubaDice

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Cheers for the replies lads. Appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

check adebisi shank http://www.myspace.com/adebisishank

Not sure if they'd be your cup of tea if you're into the villagers. Amazing live shows.

What kind genre/s are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

In Case Of Fire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

Planet Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thekeeneye wrote: »
    If you're looking for something new and good check AND IRISH check these guys out.

Heard bout them first in DAILY MAIL and then checked them out on BACLCONY TV which was pretty, pretty good. Hats off to them when they play live 'cause they really put everything into it, whether it's Vicar Street or Button Factory. She's a bit of a vixen on stage. Think Andrea Corr in looks but Kim Gordan, SONIC YOUTH, in action. Hoorah! Checked out the myspace though none of the new stuff seems to be up yet. Word is new album out in summer. Set to be a big one. This is their upcoming single 'ALL GOOD NOW'. Remember you heard it first from THE KEEN EYE. ;)

" 'The Keen Eye' ..Trying To See Further"

Who gives a toss how much of a 'vixen' someone is? Is the music any good, thats the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thekeeneye

"If you're looking for something new and good AND IRISH check these guys out.

Heard bout them first in DAILY MAIL and then checked them out on BACLCONY TV which was pretty, pretty good"

Good point Maccored. Agreed, if the music is crap who gives a sh**. The opening few lines were refering to the music. The rest was stage performance which I think is important. Adds something at least. Bottom line about these guys: music cool, performance cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

there is a nice little session every monday night in bewleys cafe theatre with a band called the Lazy band ... pure acosutic with piano, fiddles, manolin, guitars and vocals ... a mix of original and covers of americana, folk, bluegrass and trad .... very intimate and some great performers including enda reilly, mark flynn and eldar roche

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭techno-allah

Over the last year I think the standard of music in this country has greatly improved.

I'd echo the kudos for Villagers, the new album should be absolutely magic. Also ditto for Adebisi Shank, absolutely live shows.

On top of those I'd add

And So I Watch You From Afar
    LaFaro
    James Vincent McMorrow
    BATS
    Not Squares
    Two Door Cinema Club
    The Cast Of Cheers
    The Redneck Manifesto
    Super Extra Bonus Party
    Enemies
    Messiah J and the Expert
    Kormac's Big Band
    The Continuous Battle of Order
    The Vinny Club
    Halves

Sure there's more, the majority of those acts are releasing albums this year which is good news. Gonna be a tough tough call on the Choice Music Prize next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nicdea

Hi there!
    Just read across the suggestions here and missed the following great fresh bands/solo artists:
    FIGHT LIKE APES (thrilling vocalist->MayKay)
    GRAND POCKET ORCHESTRA (full power and fun)
    LAST DAYS OF DEATH COUNTRY(-> Patrick O'Brien, mastermind behind, they'll go far.)
    CRAYONSMITH (nice song-writing and a lot of xylophone)
    GIVEAMANAKICK (a short-term successful noisy, drumming strumming 2-guys-project that only recently split up, god knows why)
    WINDINGS (a side project of one of them, now upcoming)
    RED DANCERS COMETH (just dark and sexy)
    REST (dark)
    WALTER MITTY AND THE REALISTS (weird in a good way)
    VERTIGO SMYTH (melodic and not mainstream)
    MEADHBH BOYD (mark that young woman and multi-instrumentalist)
    BREANDAN O'RUAIDH (now aka ORMY; formerly going from jazz to experimental, now back to his folk roots, but always good for a surprise)
    THE LONELY SCHIZOPHRENIC (Have sex with Panda bears and others, mourn your dad or alternately, your cat...)
    HOORAY FOR HUMANS (just good music)
    For more impressions on the recent Irish music scene check out www.balconytv.com -> Made large by founder Stephen O'Regan and his witty colleagues. They are broadcasting unplugged honest handmade music acts from a balcony in Dame-Street, Dublin :o)
    (By now, there is a side-project in Hamburg, presented for the German music indie scene, but sadly it's not half as good and charming, I must say.)

These are the hints that come to my mind right away; the bands I mentioned mostly derive from Dublin, Cork, Waterford and Limerick - whilst I live, funny enough, in...Berlin and only know them from the internet and some lucky collaboration when doing a TARA-CD (Songs For The Unsung, soon available again). :o)
    They all are on MySpace, of course (google out), so you can get an impression, and their range goes from fun electro punk or dark to alternative, singer/song-writer style, comedy and experimental: Some of them already found grace in the eyes and ears of Phantom, such as GAMAK, WINDINGS and FIGHT LIKE APES, yet some of them are still waiting to get what they deserve...So listen in and enjoy! :o)
    Cheers -
    Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I recently discovered James Vincent McMorrow, he is truley amazing, I know you said you were looking for bands, ans he's just a singer songwriter, but he's seriously worth checking out! http://www.myspace.com/jamesvmcmorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

A Dublin band called Noise Control supported The Prodigy in Cork last year, they put on some show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jan_86

An up and coming band well worth a look is a band from Dublin called Jezzebelle. They're definitely well worth a listen! I saw them first at an open mic night (Zodiac sessions) and went to see Jack L the other night in Vicar st and bought their CD i haven't stopped listening, its different than a lot of music coming out now.

Anyway, take a look - www.jezzebellemusic.com or they have a facebook too... http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jezzebelle/113157660900?ref=ts

According to facebook they have a single releasing on Itunes on Thursday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

FUNZO!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

http://www.myspace.com/thelasttycoons

Their new single The Dry Law is pretty good ...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭navannavan

you missed the whatmans

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

thanks for all the bands... made a ton of new MS friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paddyhunt

Hey everybody I PROMISE THAT YOUS WILL LOVE MY NEW SONG

'Diamond'

Its got a great kind of 80's sound.... just good music! haha arrogant talk i know!

Check it out!

http://www.myspace.com/paddyhunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Yman69

Im in a new Cork band called New Mind Line, would love to get any sort of feedback from ye. We have recently been added onto the Vantastival Festival in Louth on the May weekend. Myspace link here:

http://www.myspace.com/newmindline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Yman69

Anyone ging to Vantastival btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SwearImNotPaul

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Cheers for all the help folks, I've discovered a few bands myself Arrow in the Sky, The Gandhis, The Last Tycoons, Planet Parade, Hoarsebox and a few others. The Vantastival festival has a whole bunch of up-and-coming Irish bands that are worth a look so might be hitting that myself. Keep the bands/suggestions coming.

Cheers,

Prunty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caoimheq

The Gandhis album You are my Friend comes highly recommended, especially their new single Primrose Lane... Hot press gave them a great review recently.

http://www.myspace.com/thegandhis
    http://www.thegandhismusic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 poker princess

Congrats all.....some great music there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

This is a young man from Portlaoise his music is very easy on the ear with a folk rock style and nice Irish feel to it...

Falling up is on of the best songs i have heard in ages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zWziMm3XM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

out of interest could anyone tell me the name of that and with the presenter from rte in it? they have a new single out recently enough

Advertisement