Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three: All You Can Eat Data 4G Promo Extended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Great offer by Three. They can hardly start charging people for it though in December after giving people almost a year free can they ?

Of course they can. Why not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Can bill pay customers avail of this offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

TimMac wrote: »
    Can bill pay customers avail of this offer?

Yes, available on all bill pay plans too. Using it myself on the classic flex max plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

mawk wrote: »
    There is a big difference if you use your phone with a HDMI cable or a chromecast. You don't need a PC in the middle to get it to a tv

Also.. Tethering might not be allowed but what stops you downloading on a phone and USB transferring it to your laptop or htpc? Or ps3?

Tons of options.

Why would you bother downloading on your phone when you could just download it on the laptop to begin with, it's not like your gonna be out and about and start nerding it up kicking off torrents your home connection will more than likely be x10 faster.

I'd prefer if tethering wasn't allowed as handy as it is, it degrades the speed for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

At times I've been tempted to switch to Vodafone. I've been with Three since they started here but I'm always losing my 3G/4G signal. It's perfect in the city but when living out in the country they seem to be crap; people I know on Vodafone have no problem getting 3G whereas I'm forever getting GPRS or else nothing at all.

Settings/more networks/ Network mode/ WCDMA only

(if you want H+ all the time) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hoping this is like the DFS sale and just keeps going. While the extra speed is nice it isnt reliable enough or enough of an improvement to make it worth the money for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Settings/more networks/ Network mode/ WCDMA only

(if you want H+ all the time) ;)

That usually results in no data most of the time. Three's network is incredibly patchy: either they don't have coverage and are piggybacking on Vodafone at 2g, or they're overloaded and can't maintain signal. Speed is good when it's up, but the network really is riddled with holes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

At the risk of sounding the ultimate dunce how do you avail of it? Like once you top up by the €20 does it just start using 4G instead of 3G? And how can I tell that it is or is there a way?
    Tbh someone as clueless as me probably wouldn't even notice the difference between 3 and 4 G...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Etnies wrote: »
    Why would you bother downloading on your phone when you could just download it on the laptop to begin with, it's not like your gonna be out and about and start nerding it up kicking off torrents your home connection will more than likely be x10 faster.

I'd prefer if tethering wasn't allowed as handy as it is, it degrades the speed for everyone.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about. I've had my 4g reach 35MBs in the last few days. I don't have a 350MBs connection at home. If somebody says to me 'have you seen spiderman 2?' or whatever while we're out having a coffee or whatever, I can start downloading it and it'll be ready in pretty much the same time as it would be at home because the transfer speed will always be limited by the amount of seeds in any case. Downloading at 2MBs throughput on either connection is good and I'm highly likely to match an average torrent upload speed with either. I can then, via numerous methods, play the film in all its glory as soon as I get home. What you're saying is basically akin to asking what's the point of a laptop being connected on the move. Things have moved beyond just a computer. Everything is connected these days, and the phone is becoming the focal point of the living room in many ways.

That usually results in no data most of the time. Three's network is incredibly patchy: either they don't have coverage and are piggybacking on Vodafone at 2g, or they're overloaded and can't maintain signal. Speed is good when it's up, but the network really is riddled with holes.

I'm sorry but we'll have to disagree here.

I should add that settings option is only an option for Android users (i think)

I work all over this island, from city centres to extremely rural and remote areas. It is extremely, extremely rare that I do not have the H+ on my phone, and rare enough I encounter no service areas.

Obviously my personal experience with the network and yours will differ, but from someone who was with O2 until 2009 (business plans) to 3, my opinion is 3 are in a different league in coverage and in pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I'm sorry but we'll have to disagree here.

I should add that settings option is only an option for Android users (i think)

I work all over this island, from city centres to extremely rural and remote areas. It is extremely, extremely rare that I do not have the H+ on my phone, and rare enough I encounter no service areas.

Obviously my personal experience with the network and yours will differ, but from someone who was with O2 until 2009 (business plans) to 3, my opinion is 3 are in a different league in coverage and in pricing.

Yeah it doesn't seem to be an option on iPhone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kn wrote: »
    But 'unlimited' I think in reality means 15GB, a very good allowance no doubt, but you are not allowed to tether etc I believe. For most people they probably would not come within an asses roar of 15GB a month for phone use only. You would need to use the phone as a hotspot to use that kind of allowance.

I tethered to the tune of 60gb over Christmas and didnt hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

griffdaddy wrote: »

I don't think you really know what you're talking about. I've had my 4g reach 35MBs in the last few days. I don't have a 350MBs connection at home. If somebody says to me 'have you seen spiderman 2?' or whatever while we're out having a coffee or whatever, I can start downloading it and it'll be ready in pretty much the same time as it would be at home because the transfer speed will always be limited by the amount of seeds in any case. Downloading at 2MBs throughput on either connection is good and I'm highly likely to match an average torrent upload speed with either. I can then, via numerous methods, play the film in all its glory as soon as I get home. What you're saying is basically akin to asking what's the point of a laptop being connected on the move. Things have moved beyond just a computer. Everything is connected these days, and the phone is becoming the focal point of the living room in many ways.

I think it's you who doesn't get it, it's not as simple as seeds, your 3G/4G connection is by no means constant it badly fluctuates compared to your cabled or even WiFi connection at home and farting about with usb sticks and cables is becoming a thing of the past no one wants to be doing that anymore. Anyway each to their own.

deise_girl wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding the ultimate dunce how do you avail of it? Like once you top up by the €20 does it just start using 4G instead of 3G? And how can I tell that it is or is there a way?
    Tbh someone as clueless as me probably wouldn't even notice the difference between 3 and 4 G...

Ignore the topping up and ignore the €20.

4G is free to all Three customers until November 30th 2014

It is available on the following phones:

iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5C
    iPhone 5
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Ace 3
    HTC One M8
    HTC One
    HTC Desire 610
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Sony Xperia Z
    Nokia Lumia 625
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    LG Nexus 5
    Blackberry Z10

and any other 4G / LTE enabled phones.

To activate it, you simply go into your phone's settings and find the 4G option and turn it on.

You can tell that it's on because it says 4G at the top of your screen where usually it would say 3G or the WiFi symbol or E or GPRS.

Personally, I'm in Dublin and my 4G has seen speeds of over 40mbps. My 3G has seen max speeds of around 6mbps.

However, when I have 4G activated and I have 4G coverage, oftentimes I can't get my internet to work. (To get it to work, I have to go back into settings and disable 4G so that my internet connects back on to 3G)

Realistically, 4G isn't necessary unless you're downloading massive files like movies from iTunes.

There is currently coverage in the following areas:

Ashbourne
    Athlone
    Bray
    Carlow
    Celbridge
    Carrigaline
    Cork
    Dublin
    Dundalk
    Dunmore East
    Ennis
    Galway
    Greystones
    Killarney
    Kilkenny
    Leixlip
    Limerick
    Lusk
    Malahide
    Mullingar
    Navan
    Rush
    Skerries
    Sligo
    Swords
    Tullamore
    Waterford
    Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I think it's you who doesn't get it, it's not as simple as seeds, your 3G/4G connection is by no means constant it badly fluctuates compared to your cabled or even WiFi connection at home and farting about with usb sticks and cables is becoming a thing of the past no one wants to be doing that anymore. Anyway each to their own.

It doesn't fluctuate badly around Dublin at all. I'm almost always on 4g or H+. I actually probably do less faffing about when a file is on my phone then I do when I download something on my pc. I press about 4 buttons and it's on the big screen. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We've gone way off topic as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

sharpish wrote: »

Make sure your insurance is up to date ( They don't update your policy as standard)

Do any of them do that ?
    I thought that it was a separate company doing the insurance with Phone company acting as an Agent.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It doesn't fluctuate badly around Dublin at all. I'm almost always on 4g or H+. I actually probably do less faffing about when a file is on my phone then I do when I download something on my pc. I press about 4 buttons and it's on the big screen. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. We've gone way off topic as well

It fluctuates quite badly for me around South Dublin City. I also find that when I'm on 4G, the internet doesn't even work 70% of the time; so I have to disable 4G to get my internet to work (back on 3G.)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

Do any of them do that ?
    I thought that it was a separate company doing the insurance with Phone company acting as an Agent.

I found out the hard way, If i'm buying a phone and insurance and the phone company offers me an upgrade, I would presume they switch over the insurance or at the very least inform that I should amend my policy ( surely renewing insurance after a 24month contract would have a commission payable)

I'll be interested to see how three fair after the merge, They have a shocking regard for their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

whirlpool wrote: »
    It fluctuates quite badly for me around South Dublin City. I also find that when I'm on 4G, the internet doesn't even work 70% of the time; so I have to disable 4G to get my internet to work (back on 3G.)

Me too. City centre, south Dublin and anywhere outside the capital, data service is fine when it's up, but totally inconsistent. It flicks between nothing, 3g and h in the space of a minute, all day, even when the phone sits stationary in an area with supposedly good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I'm in Limerick and their service is garbage in the Raheen area. Even to the point of dropping calls. Something I thought was a thing of the distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Well how about, for example, I've just moved into a house and I don't have landline internet. I'm using Mobile data for a few weeks.

And what if your house is big enough to lose reception far from the router but still want to watch Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,662 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Good news as although 4G isn't an essential for me - never far from wireless and don't stream etc on the phone - it's nice to have too.

On 3 in general...

I moved to their Sim Only Business Plan a few months ago and so far haven't had any issue. 20 quid ex-VAT per phone (just under 25 inclusive) for pretty much everything. Plus the bills have a 30 day credit term which is a nice plus vs the usual 2 week direct debit and I pay it manually which prevents any unexpected "billing issues".

Customer service for business is Irish too and so far haven't let me down on anything I've asked of them. I've had experience with the consumer support end in the past so I know what the alternative is like.

The downside I guess is no "free" phones/upgrades, but then it's only a 30 day rolling contract and very cheap so it all balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Kaiser you have me thinking...... Nice option. Thanks for the heads up.

Any stupid requirements like vat registered etc?

iPhone. wrote: »
    Kaiser you have me thinking...... Nice option. Thanks for the heads up.

Any stupid requirements like vat registered etc ?

No, they can put you down as a sole trader if you're not vat registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Can anyone tell me how I activate 4G for my HTC1? Tyty.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Can anyone tell me how I activate 4G for my HTC1? Tyty.

Well on my HTC one m8 which is on Android 4.4.2 you tap into SETTINGS then tap where it says MOBILE DATA then tap NETWORK MODE and select GSM / WCDMA /LTE AUTO mode. Then you will get 4G but only when you are in an area that supports it. You'll know because the icon on top will change from 3G or H+ to 4G. This all depends on your phone and android version etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

kaizersoze wrote: »

i have an S5 which has E, 3G, H, H+ and 4G

3G and H never work. E may as well not work for internet but does for calls and texts - when i head back to the sticks its what i have.

H+ i get speed enough for netflix usually, although it does drop below 1mb quite often. I tested it in dundrum last week and it was 10mb though which was the best iv ever seen and thats a crowded shopping centre!
    4G im getting speeds of 30mb and pretty much always above 15-20 when iv checked it.

I have around 2 bars for 4G where i live and H+ is 4 bars so it defaults to using H+ as signal is stronger. i installed an app which allows me put my phone in LTE (4G) It requires root access and anything which switches will require root access based on my research on it.

4G is rediculously good though i have tethered to use it rather than upc in evenings when speeds drop on that.
    I find for some reason i cant make calls when on 4G in some areas though. not sure why. internet works fine though. maybe this is the reason it defaults to H/H+ also.
    when i go to countryside i just allow it to use whatever it wants.

Pro's:
    -Faster internet speeds (download 30mb/upload 10mb)
    -Never congested thus far.
    -No additional cost

Cons:
    -Cannot make calls sometimes even when i have signal (when locked in LTE mode)
    -Only have reception around dublin down as far as bray, kildare.
    -Also its in limerick. I have not been to galway or cork recently to check those
    -requires a 4G capable phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement