Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where Can I Purchase Pizza Sauce

• 11-03-2014 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I was thinking of making my own pizza's but I'd like to know if anyone here knows where I can buy good pizza sauce in the supermarkets ?.

Thanks

Zenno
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do you mean the tomato stuff? If I can't wait to make my own I'll just buy some passata and maybe mix it in with tomato paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's just the base tomato pizza sauce I was looking for, but can't see any place selling it.

Is the passata runny ?, I would need it a bit thicker I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've tried to make my own pizza many times, and the topping and dough are great, but the tomato sauce always lets it down. I can never get the taste or consistency quite right.

I've recently discovered Mutti pizza sauce, it is gorgeous, with only good ingredients:
    2ae6e08e29c951598f12889cbbce3029.mutti-pizza-sauce.jpg
    They have it in loads of places - the grocers in Sandymount (about €2 a tin) and the grocers a few doors up from Whelans on Wexford St (€1.50 a tin) are two.

I'm just adding here - I never buy jars or packets, I make every sauce i eat from scratch. I just can't do pizza sauce for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you are looking for a thicker sauce than passata - just throw a tin of tomatoes in a blender, maybe with a clove of garlic & a squeeze of tomato puree. To get it even thicker - you could cook it down for a while in a pan over a low/medium heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

make it........

Chop garlic/small onion , into a saucepan and fry off .... then bung in Passata ( Aldi/ Lidl do ones for 70c or thereabouts )

Bring to boil , and then simmer for 15-20 mins to reduce it ( ie thicken it )

Much cheaper than ready made.

( maybe add seasoning , and possibly a pinch of sugar to counteract the bitterness of the tomatoes . )

I do this when I make my own pizzas

Great stuff. I'll try both of them so.

Thanks for the information.

Zenno

Davidth88 wrote: »
    make it........

Chop garlic/small onion , into a saucepan and fry off .... then bung in Passata ( Aldi/ Lidl do ones for 70c or thereabouts )

( maybe add seasoning , and possibly a pinch of sugar to counteract the bitterness of the tomatoes . )

Very good. That would be the best way to go, so I'll try making it tomorrow if this other stuff is not up to scratch. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good on you, zenno. And if you are going to make it yourself - you can also experiment by adding other flavourings to your sauce - eg, oregano, basil, balsamic, chili, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

I use tubes of tomato puree from supervalue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

quaalude wrote: »
    I've tried to make my own pizza many times, and the topping and dough are great, but the tomato sauce always lets it down. I can never get the taste or consistency quite right.

I've recently discovered Mutti pizza sauce, it is gorgeous, with only good ingredients:
    They have it in loads of places - the grocers in Sandymount (about €2 a tin) and the grocers a few doors up from Whelans on Wexford St (€1.50 a tin) are two.

I'm just adding here - I never buy jars or packets, I make every sauce i eat from scratch. I just can't do pizza sauce for some reason!

Excellent choice! This is absolutely the best sauce ever!
    Mutti makes different products from tomatoes, passata, paste and cans of sliced or chunked tomatoes.
    I would not try anything else.
    And I speak from the top of my being Italian :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

I make my own using tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and some herbs; all thrown in a blender. It's delicious.

Melendez wrote: »
    Yeah - those cheapo Tesco mozz balls are deadly.
    Melendez wrote: »
    Uncooked - that's fascinating. Maybe cooking the sauce for ages and ages is where I've been going wrong. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If going down the making it yourself route I can't recommend this enough. Use good quality tinned tomatoes, though.

I came across this recipe for 'authentic' pizza sauce in a magazine.
    Was doubtful of the recipe but tried it anyway and was very pleasantly surprised!

Get a heavy pan (I use a cast iron frying pan) and heat it till really hot.
    Add a couple of table spoons of olive oil (it will smoke).
    Throw in a tin of tomatoes, a clove of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of dried (not fresh) oregano. It will splutter.
    Keep heat high and allow to reduce to something a little looser than tomato purée - this will take 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

This just really works on pizza.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

make it........

A little drop of honey works great instead of the sugar, adds a nice richness to it.

stevenmu wrote: »
    A little drop of honey works great instead of the sugar, adds a nice richness to it.

True , I have used that too ......... I was taught by my Mum that if you cook with tomato puree or passata than you add a small amount of sugar.

OP, how did you get on ? I love making pizzas with the kids , the fun bit is leaving the dough to prove and they are amazed to see how much it has grown.

To anyone on this forum ....... I have a Pizza Stone , but I really like thin thin thin pizza , I can't work out a way of transferring the constructed pizza to the stone ( the stone has to be hot already ) .

I end up using a pre heated tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

True , I have used that too ......... I was taught by my Mum that if you cook with tomato puree or passata than you add a small amount of sugar.

OP, how did you get on ? I love making pizzas with the kids , the fun bit is leaving the dough to prove and they are amazed to see how much it has grown.

To anyone on this forum ....... I have a Pizza Stone , but I really like thin thin thin pizza , I can't work out a way of transferring the constructed pizza to the stone ( the stone has to be hot already ) .

I've had this problem too. What I do now is use a holy pizza tray on top of the stone and after a couple of minutes it's easy to transfer directly to the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zenno wrote: »
    Is the passata runny ?, I would need it a bit thicker I'd say.
    It is too runny for my liking, but its seived tomato so no bits. My easy mix requiring no blender or cooking down is passata mixed with tomato puree from a tube, and some ketchup if it needs sugar, handed down to me by a family of 3 generations of michelin star Italian chefs. :pac:;)

rubadub wrote: »
    It is too runny for my liking, but its seived tomato so no bits. My easy mix requiring no blender or cooking down is passata mixed with tomato puree from a tube, and some ketchup if it needs sugar, handed down to me by a family of 3 generations of michelin star Italian chefs. :pac:;)

That's why I reduce it right down .

But I tell you what , you method is almost certainly as good and less messy ..... reducing tomato sauce is a messy business ( it always spits onto cooker etc even at lowest heat )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is that the (mostly) fruit and vegetable place northbound on same side of the road or the Fresh across the road?

Must get me some of this.

I made a nice big pizza using the passata sauce, it was nice, but nothing spectacular, so I'm going to do the beer revolu recipe tomorrow as I have all the ingredients. I'll purchase some good quality tinned tomatoes and try this out tomorrow for sure.

I couldn't find the other Mutti pizza sauce in the store, but I'm really not bothered as I would rather try out some recipe's. Will see what it tastes like tomorrow with the beer revolu's recipe :)

That passata tastes ok but it reminds me of salsa sauce dip.

Is that the (mostly) fruit and vegetable place northbound on same side of the road or the Fresh across the road?

Must get me some of this.

Fruit and veg place - lovely shop!

Yeah popped in there last night, sadly they had none of the tins there, but it's a great shop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

"Evergreen" is the name of that shop btw, very good shop indeed.

Yeah popped in there last night, sadly they had none of the tins there, but it's a great shop.

Boo! Did you ask if they were getting it back in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Yes you can it's called 'peeled plum tomatoes'. It comes in tins for xbout 39c.
    Empty into bowl. Add 1 clove of garlic a dash of dried basil a bit of pepper a bit of salt. Blend.
    You won't get a better pizza sauce.

Companies making a fortune these days cos people don't know anymore how to dice an onion or mix flour and water or 'don't have the time'. Not having a go only saying.

Boo! Did you ask if they were getting it back in?

No, but he said they didn't have any in stock "at the moment" so I'm presuming he'll get it in again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i use the jamie oliver tomato and chilli as a base. works well and isn't too runny at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

totally second the mutti pizza sauce.

Again for all things Italian (and I'm like a broken record on this, apologies), you need to head to Little Italy in Smithfield. They do deliver aswell around Ireland and have an online shop. We have homemade pizza probably twice a month with my two lads so I generally stock up. You get 10% off the price of a case (of 12).

A can is €1.40 and it works great as part of a tomato based pasta dish for what you dont use.

I've made my own, but this is really great stuff. It just takes one decent sized step out of the pizza making process and is delicious.

Advertisement