Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Journal Competition

• 05-12-2013 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Just finished reading the farmers journal there. Highly repetitive, seems to be printing the same stuff week in week out. It's fair to say that they sell well as they have a monopoly in the market. Is there room or a need for a competitor??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I gave up buying that rag years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I gave up buying that rag years ago :)

Do you read anything else? How do you keep up to date on current affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

Colm McCarthys article is usually v good, thats usually non ag related though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I get the IFJ every week. As JOHN DEERE says, it's good to keep up to date. A lot of the time I wonder why I get it, and if there was another alternative I'd definitely be reading it.

I think there's a lot of things that the IFJ are not capitalising on. Anyone any idea what the market is worth? what's their annual readership? Could get a few lads on board and try steal a fraction of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Its still miles better than the farming indo or the farmers weekly

• Advertisement

Its still miles better than the farming indo or the farmers weekly

I wouldn't agree. You see stuff in the farmers weekly and Indo that you would never see in the IFJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Muckit wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. You see stuff in the farmers weekly and Indo that you would never see in the IFJ.

Totally agree. The ironic thing is how so many criticise IFA here yet swallow the IFJ as gospel. Paper never refused ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

I get it every week as more a force of habit and that also I'd be afraid I'd miss something :pac:

I get it every week as more a force of habit and that also I'd be afraid I'd miss something :pac:

same here. I just give a quick run through and that's it. Might read a special feature and do the crossword. Take the classifieds out and you have a thin newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

J DEERE wrote: »
    Do you read anything else? How do you keep up to date on current affairs?
    The internet

• Advertisement

The photos on the digital edition leave a LOT to be desired, very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I think these online forums are class, really informative and with more interesting points of views than highfalutin experts who are sometimes out of touch with day to day farming practices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Whats the prize in the competition???

liam7831 wrote: »
    Whats the prize in the competition???

A tractor with slight loader damage I heard :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Crossakiel

I have started using Agriland the new farming website. The content is much quicker and the website is really good, also very good in terms of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Same as, the Agriland articles are just getting better and better. :P They post all new stuff to Twitter so its handy out to see them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Anyone else think justin McCarthey was better as just a writer in the Beef section? Since he moved to editor, the paper has gone downhill a bit. One time I used to read it cover to cover, now I just glance through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Same as, the Agriland articles are just getting better and better. :P They post all new stuff to Twitter so its handy out to see them :)

I check out Agriland every now and again - look at some of the sheep articles. Some of the posters don't even read over their articles before they stick it up, errors all over the place.

Heres a recent sheep article - http://www.agriland.ie/news/early-lambing-ewes-nutrition-and-health-priorities/

Stick a paragraph of this into Google and you'll find it was written by Michael Gottstein for the farming Indo back in 2009. Simply copy and pasted word for word and plopped onto Agriland. Not even an effort to change it up slightly, even reference Gottstein. There's a table mentioned in the article, not included. If the poster read the piece they could have even deleted the mention of the table.

Lazy stuff........

Anyone else think justin McCarthey was better as just a writer in the Beef section? Since he moved to editor, the paper has gone downhill a bit. One time I used to read it cover to cover, now I just glance through it.

The only one that can write in that paper is Gerald Potterton. I'm not even a tillage fan but l find he writes interesting articles.

Worst has to be mooney with the shed articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

The only one that can write in that paper is Gerald Potterton. I'm not even a tillage fan but l find he writes interesting articles.
    True, I like his articles. But I always thought they were interesting because - 'I knew nothing about tillage'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Worst has to be mooney with the shed articles.

Wouldn't necessarily agree. They can give good ideas about what to look out for if planning handling facilities and the costings thereof.

My god, you go to great lengths to analyse their coverage. I checked it in google and it was a press release issued by Teagasc and used by the indo as opposed to the other way around. In fairness the content is as topical today as it was back then.

Crossakiel wrote: »
    My god, you go to great lengths to analyse their coverage. I checked it in google and it was a press release issued by Teagasc and used by the indo as opposed to the other way around. In fairness the content is as topical today as it was back then.

Any connection to agriland?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

+1

just checked the twitter page, it does have vvery regular updates alright https://twitter.com/AgrilandIreland

there are other publications already doing the rounds, e.g.

irish farmers monthly http://www.irishfarmersmonthly.com/

grass roots magazine http://grassrootsmag.ie/

but print publications will be limited as only a few advertisers will pay to be on every print publication

with the internet outside ireland there is loads

http://www.thedairysite.com/

dairy farmer mag from farmers guardian http://www.farmersguardian.com/digital-editions/

farmideas.co.uk

new zealand dairy exporter http://agrihq.co.nz/dairy-exporter/

delavals http://milkproduction.com/

the uks http://www.dairyco.org.uk/

MfMan wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily agree. They can give good ideas about what to look out for if planning handling facilities and the costings thereof.

Good ideas perhaps but terribly written. I doubt any of them has a journalism qualification among them and if they have, they didn't remember a whole pile from it.

Good ideas perhaps but terribly written. I doubt any of them has a journalism qualification among them and if they have, they didn't remember a whole pile from it.

Are you sending in your CV Muckit :D

Are you sending in your CV Muckit :D

I couldn't be much worse! ! :-)

But justin as my boss.... no thank you :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

I buy it every week and have done so since I was 15yo (and that was not yesterday) To be honest it is not the same as it was years ago probably due to the fact that advertising revenue seems to be its niche market nowdays. I suppose that it is trying to compete with the internet and instant information/responses unlike years ago before the wibbly wobbly wonder existed.
    However I will still continue to buy it every week since Iam a bit of a traditionalist.
    Worst case scenario - you can use it to light the kindling for the fire.

No connection.

See that the Journal have updated their website in the last few days, but you need to be subscribed to the digital edition to get full access. A few free articles tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Crossakiel wrote: »

That article stood out like a sore thumb, especially after reading some of the other stuff posted by that particular fella.

He published the article under his own name as if he was the expert that put the piece together. If someone in the journal did that, they'd be out the door. Its plagiarism!!

Advertisement