Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deaf Mute Man Begging in Waterford

• 25-07-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I like to warn all the waterford and outsiders not to believe the beggar who claimed he is a deaf mute, He is really not a deaf mute. He was arrested today outside Dunnes Stores. My Mate is deaf and is very angry of the way he fooled everyone that he is deaf mute, My mate , he can sign language to every deaf community in the world, He attend the World Deaf conference every two years , but every sign language is different from the irish sign Language. He tried to sign language to this beggar but he could not sign back in reply, Meaning he is not a deaf mute at all. He have been begging for years in Waterford, He usually begs at Dunnes Stores or Shaws with a poster saying "I am deaf mute , please help me".. The Gardai arrested him today outside Dunnes when my mate complained to the Gardai that the beggar is defrauding the public that he is a deaf mute.My Mate was up at the station, Gardai found out the beggar was not a deaf mute at all, dont know if he will be charged or not, So please watch out for this guy, dont let him fool you.. Deaf people of Waterford dont beg at all here, They never do, they working or some getting disability Allowance or social welfare. They are disgusted of the beggar pretending to be a deaf mute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Its like a competition to see how many times you can type deaf mute into one paragraph lol.
    Good to see that the fella got arrested.
    Have a few cousins who are almost completely deaf, one of them is also going blind :(:( poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Its like a competition to see how many times you can type deaf mute into one paragraph lol.
    Good to see that the fella got arrested.
    Have a few cousins who are almost completely deaf, one of them is also going blind :(:( poor fella.

Interesting, I used to be a friend of a deaf man who used to be a tailor at Shaws years ago, He turned blind when he was in his fifties, heartbreaking to see him like that, deaf and blind. Communication with him was very very hard, He died a good few years ago in Dublin home for the Deaf and blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The best way to catch him out is say: Is that your tenner on the ground there? Without pointing, betcha he'll hear you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

so your "friend"spoke to him in irish sign language, what if he only knows english sign language, yer man ratted on him for nothing.

Interesting, I used to be a friend of a deaf man who used to be a tailor at Shaws years ago, He turned blind when he was in his fifties, heartbreaking to see him like that, deaf and blind. Communication with him was very very hard, He died a good few years ago in Dublin home for the Deaf and blind.

Must be awfully scary. Cousin is 24 or 25 now and the eyesight is getting worse and worse, he knows eventually it will be gone fully. Poor chap.

• Advertisement

Hoffmans wrote: »
    so your "friend"spoke to him in irish sign language, what if he only knows english sign language, yer man ratted on him for nothing.

He also knows English Sign Languages and several International Sign Languages, Gardai found out today that he can speak at the station when questioned. My mate is right to ratted him becasue he was getting money from people thinking he is a deaf mute. I saw him once at the quay walking with his child , talking to the child few months ago... Honest Truth.

Must be awfully scary. Cousin is 24 or 25 now and the eyesight is getting worse and worse, he knows eventually it will be gone fully. Poor chap.

Is he profoundly Deaf ? Could be tough life ahead for him if he is. There is a place that will help him (maybe he done it before) Deaf/Hear.ie at Parnell st/Catherine St next door to FAS office.. Hope he wont go blind completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is he profoundly Deaf ? Could be tough life ahead for him if he is. There is a place that will help him (maybe he done it before) Deaf/Hear.ie at Parnell st/Catherine St next door to FAS office.. Hope he wont go blind completely.
    Totally off topic but... it's off-topic for a good cause.

deafhear.ie is the site.
    Contact details;
    DeafHear.ie Waterford
    2nd Floor, St Johns Parish Hall, Catherine St, Waterford..
    Tel: 051 855777
    Fax: 051 852132
    Email: waterford@deafhear.ie
    Hope they can help him enjoy life a bit better.

A bionic eye cost about €100,000 for the equipment and €15,000 for the (Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System) operation, but hopefully prices come down in the next while.

If he's totally deaf in both ears, maybe he should look into getting a cochlear implant. More info here. Dept of Health covers the cost of the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I like to warn all the waterford and outsiders not to believe the beggar who claimed he is a deaf mute, He is really not a deaf mute. He was arrested today outside Dunnes Stores. My Mate is deaf and is very angry of the way he fooled everyone that he is deaf mute, My mate , he can sign language to every deaf community in the world, He attend the World Deaf conference every two years , but every sign language is different from the irish sign Language. He tried to sign language to this beggar but he could not sign back in reply, Meaning he is not a deaf mute at all. He have been begging for years in Waterford, He usually begs at Dunnes Stores or Shaws with a poster saying "I am deaf mute , please help me".. The Gardai arrested him today outside Dunnes when my mate complained to the Gardai that the beggar is defrauding the public that he is a deaf mute.My Mate was up at the station, Gardai found out the beggar was not a deaf mute at all, dont know if he will be charged or not, So please watch out for this guy, dont let him fool you.. Deaf people of Waterford dont beg at all here, They never do, they working or some getting disability Allowance or social welfare. They are disgusted of the beggar pretending to be a deaf mute.

So he was claiming to be deaf mute was it?

So he was claiming to be deaf mute was it?

Yeah.... Two Gardai tried to talk to him with a deaf man signing as well but the beggar wouldn't look at their faces, Just looking down coldly holding the cardboard claimng he is a deaf mute. So the Gardai was getting pissed off when he stood up folding his chair about to sneak off without looking at them, Gardai pulled him in the car adn asked my mate to go to the station. Found out that he was just play acting as a deaf mute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

ah sure theres a lad in a wheelchair whos always at the back of dunnes stores, low and behold when hes not begging hes always walking around the town.sure its a waste of time complaining,the guards will arrest them and theyll be back to it the next day. tis all about the money.that 'deaf mute' lad has been around in waterford for years sure

Aye he's fair bad. Went to school up in Dublin, school for the deaf I presume. Its some genetic thing, not sure what its called so I dont think there is really anything that can be done for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

I've seen that chap down in High Street on the mobile phone. Definitely a scam artist, shame on him.

I've also seen a wheelchair bound gentleman walk from the Friary towards Kite Studios and proceed to piss in through the gate of the old graveyard.

A miracle it most certainly was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭johndoe99

knew he was not deaf; about a year back, i saw him sitting outside Pennys. I was having a smoke outside. A window dresser was fitting a mannequin and she dropped one of the arms and he turned immediately to look behind him.

Glad he's finally been arrested. But he'll probably pop up in Wexford next.

Aye he's fair bad. Went to school up in Dublin, school for the deaf I presume. Its some genetic thing, not sure what its called so I dont think there is really anything that can be done for him.

St Joeph School
    for the deaf boys
    Cabra
    Dublin 7

That the only Deaf school in Dublin, I hope he will be alright with the modern Technology as the above post had advised.. I wish him the very best in his future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

The amount of people pretending to be disabled in this town is shocking. I lived with a blind person and I've seen many people with canes in this town. I've seen two different men walking around with a canes and sunglasses who pick up change from the ground or avoid dog crap and generally don't use the cane in a manner a blind person would need. Fair enough they could have some eyesight issues but not to the point of using a cane or get a blind pension.

There's also a guy claiming disability who worked with my father. Some people may have seen him walking around with crutches but walking perfectly normal while dragging them along. He's been claiming disability for years but can walk faster than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

sister's hearing is getting really bad i think she was told she would be deaf in the next couple of years.....

always knew he wasnt deaf.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Nuts102

anplaya wrote: »
    ah sure theres a lad in a wheelchair whos always at the back of dunnes stores, low and behold when hes not begging hes always walking around the town.sure its a waste of time complaining,the guards will arrest them and theyll be back to it the next day. tis all about the money.that 'deaf mute' lad has been around in waterford for years sure

Gotta love this fella shouting his head off. He is the only person in a wheelchair that carries around a walking stick. He doesnt even hide the walking stick surely people couldnt be fooled into giving him money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I like to warn all the waterford and outsiders not to believe the beggar who claimed he is a deaf mute..................

Is this the same fella with the limp that was spotted on Patrick Street there a week or so ago ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Is this the same fella with the limp that was spotted on Patrick Street there a
    week or so ago ?

I think that's a different person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

hard to take this post seriously, the amount of times you said deaf mute.

Just wandered in off the home page and have to say; this thread is hilarious. :D
    JenniFurr wrote: »
    The amount of people pretending to be disabled in this town is shocking.

What a brilliant statement. It sounds like an episode of Father Ted.

ratedR wrote: »

Excuse my writing, I come from a poor education backgrounds..Hope you can understand that. Thanks in advance. Very hurtful when people taking a pxxx on my bad grammar or bad english.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

It sounds like an episode of Father Ted.

Down with this sort of thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

spankysue wrote: »
    It sounds like an episode of Father Ted.

Down with this sort of thing ;)

Careful now

It's just a reflex at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Those are FAKE ARMS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

He's not a small guy in his late 50s/60s, wearing glasses by any chance?

There's a guy in Dublin doing that for years, walking around bus stops begging, claiming the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Excuse my writing, I come from a poor education backgrounds..Hope you can understand that. Thanks in advance. Very hurtful when people taking a pxxx on my bad grammar or bad english.

You can use a computer you are far from stupid.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    You can use a computer you are far from stupid.

Totally agree. Nothing worse than a grammar Nazi.
    Op we understood what you said and although I went slightly off topic its all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

ratedR wrote: »

In fairness he said absolutely nothing about bad grammar or bad English, he was just commenting on the amount of times you said deaf mute in your post, as did two other posters!

Advertisement