Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Their choc coated choc-chip biscuits are the best 'visitor' biscuits to have and I've tried!.

:D

Their smoked salmon is gorgeous!! Loads in a pack for €3.50 and it's all pink!!!
    I love their yoghurts, particularly the lemon curd ones, they're the 'luxury' ones.. sooo good.
    All the breads/cakes/biscuits are fab
    Jams are divine
    Domestic cleaning products are the best around imo

Basically everything is great apart from their butter range. And I wouldn't wash my hair with their shampoos, but for 89c, the big bottles of shampoo make great shower gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

xzanti wrote: »
    :D

Their smoked salmon is gorgeous!! Loads in a pack for €3.50 and it's all pink!!!
    I love their yoghurts, particularly the lemon curd ones, they're the 'luxury' ones.. sooo good.
    All the breads/cakes/biscuits are fab
    Jams are divine
    Domestic cleaning products are the best around imo

Basically everything is great apart from their butter range. And I wouldn't wash my hair with their shampoos, but for 89c, the big bottles of shampoo make great shower gels.
    What's wrong with their butter :confused: Is all butter not..... well, butter???

I've posted this somewhere before, possibly earlier in this thread, but just in case it was elsewhere - their salted caramel icecream is GAWJUS. Full of caramel bits and almonds, and really really lovely.

ETA - and +1 to the yoghurts.

And they have a pasta stir-in sauce, tomato and mascarpone - delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The chia seeds come in whole and milled and are great value. Make a breakfast pudding from them or add to porridge or smoothies in the morning. The linseed mixes are great too.

I second the smoked salmon, great value.

I recently had some of their fresh fish cakes and I found them very tasty. I think they come in cod, salmon and haddock.

The spicy chorizo is great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

There pre made lasagne is nearly as good as homemade 4 euro I think.also Scottish shortbread fingers are nice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Brennans Deli Style chicken pieces.. real chicken breasts chopped up.. the tikka style one is gorgeous.

For a really lazy snack or meal, heat a packet of Aldis microwave rice (99c) and a handful of tika styles chicken pieces and mix. The tikka adds a lovely spice to the rice without the need for sauce.

So filling and easy/cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Am big into buying Irish products but their Torchon ham (French) is scrummy, love their fruit and veg specials, some weeks better than others, just took heap blueberries that were .59 while back out freezer and enjoying blueberry jam now as will my friends, the €10 off €50 spend the last few weeks has been brillant, hope it continues, I don't like their cornflakes must have changed supplier as it used to be nice, Aldi staff very nice and helpful too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I could have written the above

That Ham is lovely but you need to search through the packets as some are very fatty. A steal at 1.99 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've bought a packet of whole frozen seabass. Looking forward to trying them. Anyone had them before? 1st time I've noticed them

Anyone remember in the early days of ALDI they used to sell this cooked ham joint?, iirc about 3.99/4.99, used to be delicious, just slice whatever thickness ya liked on to the bread and yummy.

Wish they'd bring it back.

Anyone remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone remember in the early days of ALDI they used to sell this cooked ham joint?, iirc about 3.99/4.99, used to be delicious, just slice whatever thickness ya liked on to the bread and yummy.

Wish they'd bring it back.

Anyone remember it?

Dunnes used to do one as well, a bit watery I found.

• Advertisement

Dunnes used to do one as well, a bit watery I found.

Do they still?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Hake fillets in the current Super 6 offer for 2e are really good. Fry with Serrano Ham from their everyday range.
    And serve with the Potatoes and Kale from the current 49c offer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭puckmymuskie

had the kiln roasted salmon fillets a few times @2.89 for 200g. taste lovely but they gave me terrible diarrhea. I wonder what the hell whats really done to it as i can eat any fish with no effects like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

had the kiln roasted salmon fillets a few times @2.89 for 200g. taste lovely but they gave me terrible diarrhea. I wonder what the hell whats really done to it as i can eat any fish with no effects like that.

I'm not a fan of cold-smoked salmon but I like hot-smoked / kiln roasted.

I haven't come across the one you describe above but I often buy this one https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/fresh-fish/our-fish/fresh-fish-products-detail-page/ps/p/kiln-roasted-smoked-salmon-fillet/ and have suffered no ill-effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I bought their tinned creamed rice, it was delicious, every bit a good as Ambrosia but half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They have hake fillets for €8 a Kg at the moment.
    Amazing value.
    Strange packaging size, though. 250g is a bit too much for one but not nearly enough for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have hake fillets for €8 a Kg at the moment. Amazing value.
    Strange packaging size, though. 250g is a bit too much for one but not nearly enough for 2.
    I get those too, but watch out for the packaging. I've had to return two packages recently as the seal had broken. it wasn't until I opened them that I noticed.

I agree about the portion sizes though, and it's much the same with Lidl's fish. I usually just buy two packs for the two of us, and give myself the two largest pieces :pac:

Lidl is 200g for 2€ this week. I'm happy with that !! It's delicious btw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Lidl is 200g for 2€ this week. I'm happy with that !! It's delicious btw

Of what?

Of what?

Draw

• Advertisement

Of what?

Eh, Hake

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Of what?
    Hake I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

frozen cauliflower with cheese is nice had it yesterday also the hand tied sausages where delish.

Bought a ham fillet last night €3 and a Chicken €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Had the sirloin steaks last night, wow wow wow!

Oh and the spice + jar curry last week, think it was the jalfrezi, absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

The chicken wings are amazing. They come in a silver tray cook in oven for 25 mins and then onto the bbq for a further 5-10 mins to crisp them up and mix the sauce on top. Best shop bought chicken wings I have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Has anyone else noticed that they're now selling ice wine? Saw two bottles, one for 9.99 and one I think for 29.99. 10euro is a serious bargain for sweet desert wine and it really wasn't too shabby! (not as nice as the 29.99 one but for a third of the price, well worth drinking three times more of! :D)

Had the salmon and ham on the super 6 - both fantastic, the ham was particularly special and at 3€ its an absolute bargain - i'm using it for sliced ham for lunches, 1.5 kg and a packet of their torchon ham from France is 1.99 for I think 190 grammes !!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I know it was mentioned already - but the Steaks in Aldi are fantastic. I wont buy steak anywhere else. The ones in the black box, I buy 2x Sirloin for under a tenner - they are the best tasting steaks - with the best shape - really thick not like the crappy thin ones many butchers do, they could even be mistaken for fillets. Highly recommended.

In the frozen section try the Venison Steaks - really lovely and tender - the venison burgers are great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Zascar wrote: »
    I know it was mentioned already - but the Steaks in Aldi are fantastic. I wont buy steak anywhere else. The ones in the black box, I buy 2x Sirloin for under a tenner - they are the best tasting steaks - with the best shape - really thick not like the crappy thin ones many butchers do, they could even be mistaken for fillets. Highly recommended.

In the frozen section try the Venison Steaks - really lovely and tender - the venison burgers are great too.

I had the fillet steaks a couple of weeks ago as a treat while on holidays. I think 12.99 for two, maybe? But they are good and thick. You wouldn't have them every day but seriously good value :D.

It was fantastic - the praise I got from the folks I was cooking for was a huge ego boost! They made a mighty satisfying meal.

Advertisement