Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Religion * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

• 16-06-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I still got Latin and Religion left ON THE LAST TWO DAYS!! :mad:

Anyone want to share any wisdom on Religion in these last few days?

I'm pretty good for Religion I think!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Religion
    Section A I have covered and section Irish experience
    just chosing 2 more sections to cover and ill be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 canto464

I am so screwed for religion! The book is so bad and i just don't know where to study! the book is full of sh*t, really think i will fail it

Some one help me!! what do i study for religion?!??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Latin and Religion. . .christian brothers school, by any chance?

canto464 wrote: »
    I am so screwed for religion! The book is so bad and i just don't know where to study! the book is full of sh*t, really think i will fail it
    you have that book with like 3 page 25's dont you?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MrUsername

Ah Religion is sooo hard! I got some tips that my grind teacher did from examining the past papers and from what was said at 3 conferences earlier this year:
    Section A: He said that Socrates is very likely to come up as the philosopher or they might repeat Aristotle this year to throw a curve balll!proofs of good such as Anselm and Aquinas too. Cosmologies and non-religious response to the search for meaning would be worth a look over aswell
    Section B: Conflict with the Establishment, Christology and Messianic expectations
    Section C: Other main living traditions!!!! I.e. Confucianism or Baha'i you only need to know one
    Section I: Two patterns in religous trends in Ireland

This is just a guide, but if you cover this in depth you should be sorted:D
    Best of luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

you have that book with like 3 page 25's dont you?!

I think that's the only LC religion book. :P Unfortunately.

We have 3 books one for the Irish experience one for the search for meaning and then the hob knobbed book

Oh yeah, I forgot there were different books for the different sections :rolleyes:, shows how prepared I am for religion! I think it's the Christianity one that's divided in loads of sections with the same page numbers - what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Hey guys, back when I did the LC Religion wasn't an exam, just a waste of time. What do you actually learn for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They should just reform the course and call it Philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Hey guys, back when I did the LC Religion wasn't an exam, just a waste of time. What do you actually learn for it?

I did it two years ago and we did 4 sections; Philosophy, Early Christian Communities (Something else in there.... I forget >_<), World Religions and then an optional section on Science and Religion (These sections vary from year to year, I'd have preferred a section on Religion in Ireland, because I'd have been less likely to rant about religion being wrong >_>)

How to waffle. :D
    Seriously - philosophy, "the search for meaning", christianity (worst part), morality, gender roles, stuff like that. Some parts are a real headache, some are interesting and some are just ridiculous. The exam itself is also atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cydoniac wrote: »
    They should just reform the course and call it Philosophy.

I don't understand why they should tbh, religious studies is not a bad idea, it is one of the single biggest influences on culture, a separate leaving cert philosophy exam wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Either way, that's kinda off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Philosophy (Ancient Greek/ Medieval/ Enlightenment/ Existentialism), Mythology, Ancient/ Primal Religion, Cosmologies, Humanism/ Atheism/ Agnosticism/ Reductionism etc, Religious and Secular Values, World Religions= Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Baha'i Faith, Sikhism, African Traditional Religions, Taoism, Confucianism, NRMs etc. (don't do all, get some choice), Morality (Ancient Civilisations/ World Religions), Celtic Ireland (religion, practices, burial sites etc.), Religion In Ireland (development: christianisation, reformation, ecumenism etc.), religion and science etc. etc. etc.
    A very broad course but with various options/ choices:)

Geo10 wrote: »
    Philosophy (Ancient Greek/ Medieval/ Enlightenment/ Existentialism), Mythology, Ancient/ Primal Religion, Cosmologies, Humanism/ Atheism/ Agnosticism/ Reductionism etc, Religious and Secular Values, World Religions= Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Baha'i Faith, Sikhism, African Traditional Religions, Taoism, Confucianism, NRMs etc. (don't do all, get some choice), Morality (Ancient Civilisations/ World Religions), Celtic Ireland (religion, practices, burial sites etc.), Religion In Ireland (development: christianisation, reformation, ecumenism etc.), religion and science etc. etc. etc.

This list depresses me, as I've just realised how much I have to learn in the next week. Still taking a full day off tomorrow after german though. :D

I'm only studying 4 sections an the cosmologies

You only have to study four sections though? Is anyone else doing Baha'i

I going over past papers and picking out particular topics that have come up in the sections I'm doing before so that's how I'm doing it , over 8 days I expect to get a lot done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Geo10 wrote: »
    Have to say it sounds quite interesting and a lot more diverse than I'd expected it to be, best of luck to anyone taking the exam =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Really hope human rights come up. Christology is a must but if it comes up it will only be 40 marks. Kingdom of god as preached by jesus better not show hate doing it.

Hopefully I get my A1, religion is a sybject that really depends on the teacher regarding the outcome of your result in it.

I think it was 2007 when charateristics of Kingdom of God came up so I'd really doubt it would come up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'd say for this year you could completely leave out what came up last year, if that even barely skims the course down!:D Because of the lack of choice in the paper they have never repeated the same topic 2 years in a row ( although I only have about 6 papers to go on! :D)
    So if you feel learning everything is impossible I'd leave out:
    Section A: All Chap 1 (Search for Meaning in Music/Literature, Factors Blocking Search), Aristotle, Evidence of Religious Behaviour in Ancient Society
    Section B: Early Christian Communities (Corinth/ Philippi/ Thessalonica), Jesus coming into Conflict with Authority
    Section C: Inter-Faith Dialogue, Distribution of Religion
    Section D: Influences on Development of Moral Maturity, Jesus' Law of Love
    I'm not sure about the options, the same thing really comes up a lot in the them!

I'd say focus on (I know it's a lot but...):
    Section A:Plato, Sophists, (maybe Socrates), One key moment in development of philosophy, One key myth about meaning of life, Spirituality in Contemporary Culture, "Proofs" of God (:rolleyes:), Divine Revelation, Non-Religious Responses to Search for Meaning and Cosmologies!
    Section B:Kingdom of God (characteristics + Jewish understanding at time), "Evidence" (:rolleyes:) for Jesus, Key Moment in Return to Origins (e.g. Reformation), Christology, Jesus in Film or Art, Christian Unity/ work towards ecumenism (against sectarianism) and Effect of Resurrection
    Section C:Contemporary Experience of a World Religion (Judaism/Islam etc.), Primal Religion (characteristics + influence on one contemp. religion), Other Religion or NRM (depending on what one you studied- go Baha'i!:D), religious festival or rite of initiation/ passage in World Religion (maybe compare Jewish festival with Islamic one), vision of salvation in diff. religions and structure of community of believers in 2 religions!
    Section I: Everything! (sorry but usually very broad 80m Qs!) However it is worth noting that pre-Christian Ireland didn't come up in the longest!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keeirs

Hopefully I get my A1, religion is a sybject that really depends on the teacher regarding the outcome of your result in it.
    our class is screwed. We have the WORST TEACHER EVER. We haven't even got some of the course done and the worst part is that its stuff that has never come up before!

keeirs wrote: »
    our class is screwed. We have the WORST TEACHER EVER!

at least she's in most of the time

i have never heard of half of the things you said! i have 3 books 'The search for meaning and values' 'faith seeking understanding' and 'religion and science' They are all as bad as eachother! full of irrelevant info. You are expected to wirte an 80mark essay on a topic that has only 5 lines on it in the book!

MrUsername wrote: »
    Ah Religion is sooo hard! I got some tips that my grind teacher did from examining the past papers and from what was said at 3 conferences earlier this year:
    Section A: He said that Socrates is very likely to come up as the philosopher or they might repeat Aristotle this year to throw a curve balll!proofs of good such as Anselm and Aquinas too. Cosmologies and non-religious response to the search for meaning would be worth a look over aswell
    Section B: Conflict with the Establishment, Christology and Messianic expectations
    Section C: Other main living traditions!!!! I.e. Confucianism or Baha'i you only need to know one
    Section I: Two patterns in religous trends in Ireland

This is just a guide, but if you cover this in depth you should be sorted:D
    Best of luck guys!

i have never heard of half of the things you said! i have 3 books 'The search for meaning and values' 'faith seeking understanding' and 'religion and science' They are all as bad as eachother! full of irrelevant info. You are expected to wirte an 80mark essay on a topic that has only 5 lines on it in the book!

We have 3 books one for the Irish experience one for the search for meaning and then the hob knobbed book

ive been doing the course for 2 years. WTF is the irish experience!!? thats not in any of my books?

its a separate book " religion and the irish experience "

• Advertisement

How much are we expected to write for an 80 mark question?

Advertisement