Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed: Revelations.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I play Assassin Creed for it setting , and the historical events , that i can pass a famous landmark and read about it and feels each city is designed to the t, its truly amazing . The franchise is the sole reason i bought a next gen system back in 2007. I loved assassin creed despite its repetive gameplay, loved assassin creed 2 and even loved brotherhood , despite at this point the combat grew tiresome and its basically counter , wait , counter, wait.. I could turn a blind eye cause the rest of the game for what it does is superb , im currently through sequence 3 in revealations and theirs something not quite right yet, so far the missions are poor and feels as though the developers had no ideas left to add to the experience cause of the year to year release and just through in a tower defence game , hopefully its just a slow start but its currently just an adverge game.

Yeah, one thing I noticed in this game was that the historical events weren't highlighted as much... maybe it's because I know so little about the Ottoman Empire and the Byzantines that i didn't pick up on it as much as I did in the previous games, but to me it felt as if you weren't really having a big impact on the history of the place until the very end.
    Sarky wrote: »
    Counter, kill-streak, stroll away 5 seconds later from a dozen corpses like a boss.

Nothing more satisfying than seeing Ezio flit back and forth from a wall of like 12 guards with the hidden blade and kill every one without taking a hit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Had a €20 Xtravision voucher from x-mas, strolled in the last day, saw the collector's edition for €50, couldn't say no to that!

Just finished it last night, can't wait to see what's next. Really really like the Desmond story....Altair at the end was fantastic.

Now ....back to finishing Skyrim...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think I might be missing something. When I am walking around I like to hire groups to attack or distract the guards. It used to work in ACII and Brotherhood. But in this game I can't get the groups to attack or distract. The option never comes up.

I can hire the mercenaries, thieves or romanies and they follow me around. But nothing else. I target the guards and press 'O' like it says in the manual.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

make sure that you are selecting the guards before hitting circle (or whichever facebutton)
    i think its L1 once you're facing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah it definitely works, I've used it a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Just wondering did anyone do "Desmond's journey", is it worth doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yes for the story, no for the gameplay, it's like a crippled version of Portal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Definitely. The story is brilliant in them. The gameplay can be a bit annoying but when you figure the harder bits out it's very satisfying.

Although, if you're one of the people that can't stand Desmond as a character then you probably won't enjoy it... do the first one, it's pretty easy, should take very little time and it'll give you a taste for the others.

Yeah it definitely works, I've used it a few times.

I still can't get it to work. I wonder if I'm supposed to do some faction missions first.

Does anyone play this on xbox live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still can't get it to work. I wonder if I'm supposed to do some faction missions first.

I think you have to at least have done the first mission for each faction before you can fully utilize them.

I think you have to at least have done the first mission for each faction before you can fully utilize them.

I will try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dyawannagoonme

Brotherhood is good, and an improvement from the 2nd, but not the same quality leap as between 1 & 2.
    Personally, there isn't the same quality leap as between 1 & 2 because AC1 was actually terrible. Completely repetitive :/ AC2 got rid of the repetitiveness which is why, I think, AC is so big now. AC is big because of the sucess of AC2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I will try that tonight.

How'd you get on?

How'd you get on?

I got it working last night. I read on another forum that some people were having the same issue. But they were holding down the target button (L1) instead of tapping it. I think that was my issue. :rolleyes:

I did the five the mini-levels of Desmond's memories on Animus Island tonight. I enjoyed listening to the story but would have much preferred just to have had one long cutscene. I didn't enjoy the first-person perspective platforming at all. Especially memory 3 that has you floating down data streams. Incredibly frustrating I found.

I'm glad I'm back to Ezio now. On Sequence 7 now so nearing the end. I know some people here didn't really enjoy this installment, such as Sheey83. But I'm really enjoying it. Took me a while to get into it but I've sunk about 19 hours in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did the five the mini-levels of Desmond's memories on Animus Island tonight. I enjoyed listening to the story but would have much preferred just to have had one long cutscene. I didn't enjoy the first-person perspective platforming at all. Especially memory 3 that has you floating down data streams. Incredibly frustrating I found.

I'm glad I'm back to Ezio now. On Sequence 7 now so nearing the end. I know some people here didn't really enjoy this installment, such as Sheey83. But I'm really enjoying it. Took me a while to get into it but I've sunk about 19 hours in so far.

I definitely enjoyed the game, just didn't live up to AC2 or Brotherhood, even though it didn't really do anything wrong. I think it was almost our own expectations of the game due to the standards set by the previous games. But bar the Den Defences, there's nothing really wrong with the game. I actually started liking the bombs after I'd finished the game, though I just kept making the standard smoke/explosion bombs rather than blood or caltrops etc.

The only real weakpoints of the game are the Den Defences, the Templar story (I can't even picture the main bad guy or any of the other enemies), and the fact that it felt more repetitive than the previous two

Would have to agree with the previous 2 posts, did not like the first person thing after playing the four games differently, also would have liked a bit of action in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Finished this a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it,

I only encountered 1 den defense during the story mode, while also looking for treasure, artifacts, and climbing viewpoints,
    That said I never like to have a high notoriety( the notoriety music just isn't as awesome as it was in AC2:D)

I personally found the bombs quite useful, though it was never overly difficult to have enough ingredients to just constantly fill up on them.

The sections detailing Altair's story after AC1 were fantastic and
    really gave an appreciation for what a torrid life he seemed to have, and his ending...that's dedication to the cause!:eek:

I enjoyed learning about Desmond, and found the 1st person missions entertaining, well reasonably so, with that said I would have preferred the subject 16 style puzzles as they were incredibly satisfying and fun to locate as you were scaling buildings and using eagle vision for alternate reasons.
    Although I enjoyed Desmond's story pre joining the Assassins, I thought the events from AC:B were a bit overlooked, ie: "You killed Lucy", "Oh"....anyway.....

As for Ezio, we'll more of the same is a good thing in my book, the story seemed a lot more focused than maybe the previous games, though the 'villain' was not quite as villainous as the likes of Cesare, though he gets worse at the end
    And as for the end:
    Great to see his quest fulfilled, I liked the fact that he could have taken the apple but decided enough was enough, I loved how he started talking to Desmond, although I wish it hadn't just cut away from Ezio and didn't go back to him, perhaps closing the vault and at the same time closing such a massive part of his life

I immediately watched the 'Embers' short movie,
    Lovely piece, but very sad if you're an Ezio fan, I am, so it was quite depressing, but uplifting at the same time, at least he didn't go like Altair, he died in his hometown, close to where half his family had died, watching his wife and daughter and generally being happy.

Bring on AC3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

finally got a chance to start playing this a few days ago, currently 3 or so hours in to it, have to say it seems like zero effort was made making the game, terrible terrible missions, jumbled story, and it seems very broken up overall, revelations was aswesome and the best overall, even the side misssions were all awesome.
    Here is hoping they have a fresher perspective for next years creed but won't be as anticiapated from my perspective.

• Advertisement

No point opening a new thread for this, there's not even a screen shot. Apparently AC3 is set for release Oct 30th this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

snow

trees

climbing

Damn

Cryptic

Fecker

:pac:

Edit: TGL are saying American Revolution

Trying to bring it back to the America's?

Damn

Cryptic

Fecker

:pac:

Edit: TGL are saying American Revolution

Trying to bring it back to the America's?

Makes sense if
    the vault Desmond went to at the end of AC:R is in America.
    Maybe Desmond has to go into the Animus and be this new ancestor to see... something

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is that 4 games in 4 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

J. Marston wrote: »
    Is that 4 games in 4 years?

First was in 2007 and there are actually more games across all platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed#Games

Killinator wrote: »
    Finished this a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it,

I only encountered 1 den defense during the story mode, while also looking for treasure, artifacts, and climbing viewpoints,
    That said I never like to have a high notoriety( the notoriety music just isn't as awesome as it was in AC2:D)

I personally found the bombs quite useful, though it was never overly difficult to have enough ingredients to just constantly fill up on them.

The sections detailing Altair's story after AC1 were fantastic and
    really gave an appreciation for what a torrid life he seemed to have, and his ending...that's dedication to the cause!:eek:

I enjoyed learning about Desmond, and found the 1st person missions entertaining, well reasonably so, with that said I would have preferred the subject 16 style puzzles as they were incredibly satisfying and fun to locate as you were scaling buildings and using eagle vision for alternate reasons.
    Although I enjoyed Desmond's story pre joining the Assassins, I thought the events from AC:B were a bit overlooked, ie: "You killed Lucy", "Oh"....anyway.....

As for Ezio, we'll more of the same is a good thing in my book, the story seemed a lot more focused than maybe the previous games, though the 'villain' was not quite as villainous as the likes of Cesare, though he gets worse at the end
    And as for the end:
    Great to see his quest fulfilled, I liked the fact that he could have taken the apple but decided enough was enough, I loved how he started talking to Desmond, although I wish it hadn't just cut away from Ezio and didn't go back to him, perhaps closing the vault and at the same time closing such a massive part of his life

I immediately watched the 'Embers' short movie,
    Lovely piece, but very sad if you're an Ezio fan, I am, so it was quite depressing, but uplifting at the same time, at least he didn't go like Altair, he died in his hometown, close to where half his family had died, watching his wife and daughter and generally being happy.

Bring on AC3!

Wholeheartedly agree with the above. For me it was an excellent game minus the den defense and barring the tutorial and the optional assasin achievements you didn't have to do any if you kept your awareness down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Think I'm gonna give this another try. I really couldn't get into it. The den defence is a brutal addition. What's the best way to avoid the den defence almost completely? I've heard of people who have done the first madatory den defence and never visited them again. Is it all to do with levelling up your assassins?

Think I'm gonna give this another try. I really couldn't get into it. The den defence is a brutal addition. What's the best way to avoid the den defence almost completely? I've heard of people who have done the first madatory den defence and never visited them again. Is it all to do with levelling up your assassins?

Keeping your noteriety level at zero means no den defence. Though I find playing AC like that a bit tedious, as it rules out big skirmishes with guards for a laugh. Best bet is to grind. Take over a den. Promote Assassin recruit to den leader. Then stay in the den doing Mediteraennian defence until he/she's level15 and do the Master Quest.

Or, do what I did. When the den comes under attack, go and start the den defence, but just let the templars take it over. Then retake the den straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I thought AC1 was ok, I love AC2 and also loved Brotherhood. I hated Revelations for a number of reasons:

1. They removed the hidden glyphs on historical buildings, which opened up really cool puzzles. I used to love finding and solving those. Also they meant you had to really explore those historical buildings to find them - which was an interesting way of exposing you to the history.
    2. They removed the "dungeons" (Lairs of Romulus in Brotherhood), if thats what they are called, from what I gather. I played Revelations for about 5 hours and never encountered them anyway.
    3. The setting was boring to me. Constantinople was bland and uninteresting.
    4. Bombs & Guns. I was never fond of guns being introduced to the series, and this entry just takes it to the next level
    5. That tower defense ****e. I was constantly trying to keep my notoriety level down, not for any real gameplay reasons - just because I didn't want to be subjected to that ****e mini-game
    6. The utterly inane Desmond tetris like/platforming levels nonsense. I couldn't actually believe what I was seeing when I first encountered those levels. What were Ubisoft thinking??

It was like for this game they took a bunch of designers from all sorts of genres, told them to come up with some ideas in separate rooms and then mashed all those ideas into a game without even thinking.

The AC series has been a real favourite of mine, and I was bitterly disappointed in Revelations. I played it for about 5 hours before trading it in. :(

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    I thought AC1 was ok, I love AC2 and also loved Brotherhood. I hated Revelations for a number of reasons:

1. They removed the hidden glyphs on historical buildings, which opened up really cool puzzles. I used to love finding and solving those. Also they meant you had to really explore those historical buildings to find them - which was an interesting way of exposing you to the history.
    2. They removed the "dungeons" (Lairs of Romulus in Brotherhood), if thats what they are called, from what I gather. I played Revelations for about 5 hours and never encountered them anyway.
    3. The setting was boring to me. Constantinople was bland and uninteresting.
    4. Bombs & Guns. I was never fond of guns being introduced to the series, and this entry just takes it to the next level
    5. That tower defense ****e. I was constantly trying to keep my notoriety level down, not for any real gameplay reasons - just because I didn't want to be subjected to that ****e mini-game
    6. The utterly inane Desmond tetris like/platforming levels nonsense. I couldn't actually believe what I was seeing when I first encountered those levels. What were Ubisoft thinking??

It was like for this game they took a bunch of designers from all sorts of genres, told them to come up with some ideas in separate rooms and then mashed all those ideas into a game without even thinking.

The AC series has been a real favourite of mine, and I was bitterly disappointed in Revelations. I played it for about 5 hours before trading it in. :(

Please tell me you've at least watched the ending of the game on Youtube or something. Even though the game is disappointing, I thought the ending was great

Advertisement