Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is It Really That Difficult To Find A Job In Dublin?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello all,

I have been living in Thailand for the past 3 years teaching English but because of visa clampdowns I have to return to Ireland in a couple for weeks.

I plan to find a job in Dublin, I will work anything really except heavy lifting. I don't mine working for min wage as I have not made great money in Thailand Teaching. I will work in Tesco, temporary, or any job really.

So my question is, do you honestly think I will have difficulty finding a job in Dublin?

All responses are welcomed and appreciated.

Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Brianboru1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have been living in Thailand for the past 3 years teaching English but because of visa clampdowns I have to return to Ireland in a couple for weeks.

I plan to find a job in Dublin, I will work anything really except heavy lifting. I don't mine working for min wage as I have not made great money in Thailand Teaching. I will work in Tesco, temporary, or any job really.

So my question is, do you honestly think I will have difficulty finding a job in Dublin?

All responses are welcomed and appreciated.

Brian.

If your willing to work you should not have an issue - the money isn't as good as it was ten years ago (in most places) but its not as bleak as it was from what I can see.....

You may even get English language teaching jobs, a lot of foreign people are crying out for one to one's at the least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I wouldn't say it's that difficult now to get a minimum wage job. There are more jobs in Dublin now than there were three years ago (which I presume is when you left Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

From what you've just said, you sound like you should have no problem finding work, certainly in Dublin.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Moved to Dublin City forum

Please bear in mind the relevant charter

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hi BrianBoru,
    Welcome to boards.ie ... But the reality right now is that it is still an employers market.
    If you want to find a full time job at min-wage you will be looking hard. But want a 9 month internship? You won't.

See all this "lots of jobs" out there crap. It's just that ... crap.
    Yeah there are paying jobs out there. Either A, part time where you can work 15 hours a week at €8.65 ph or if you have such experience in a field (5+ years) then sure you can get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Brianboru1

Hi BrianBoru,
    Welcome to boards.ie ... But the reality right now is that it is still an employers market.
    If you want to find a full time job at min-wage you will be looking hard. But want a 9 month internship? You won't.

Yeah there are paying jobs out there. Either A, part time where you can work 15 hours a week at €8.65 ph or if you have such experience in a field (5+ years) then sure you can get a job.

Thanks B.A,
    Now I am confused, your opinion is very different to the last few replies.

Have you been searching for a job lately?

I actually haven't lived in Ireland for 8 years now so I have not got a clue about the employment situation at the moment.

Internship I believe are for people on unemployment benefits and as I have been out of Ireland for so long, I would not be eligible for any kind of government support I was told.

I would think with the prices in Dublin I would need more hours than part time but I would take a part time job to start off with.

I have a Diploma in I.T but don't have 5 years experience.

Fieldog wrote: »
    If your willing to work you should not have an issue - the money isn't as good as it was ten years ago (in most places) but its not as bleak as it was from what I can see.....

You may even get English language teaching jobs, a lot of foreign people are crying out for one to one's at the least....

The Teaching idea sounds interesting I will definitely research that, Thank you.

From what you've just said, you sound like you should have no problem finding work, certainly in Dublin.

Thanks for the encouragement, although I have not lived in Ireland for a long time I did visit last year for a month. I did see some sign in shops in Dublin looking for staff and have been talking with a recruitment agency in Dublin that get I.T jobs regularly but I would be willing to work any job to enter the Irish jobs market again.

Thanks for the encouragement, although I have not lived in Ireland for a long time I did visit last year for a month. I did see some sign's in shops in Dublin looking for staff, also I have been talking with a recruitment agency in Dublin that has I.T jobs regularly but I would be willing to work any job to enter the Irish jobs market again.

Fieldog wrote: »

The Teaching idea sounds interesting, I will definitely research that, Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

A family member has been living in Dublin and looking for work, unsuccessfully, for the last two years. There are lots of internships available, but precious few jobs, because why employ someone when you can get interns in?

It will depend on your sector of course, I’d imagine there’s always work for experienced English teachers.

Lucena wrote: »
    A family member has been living in Dublin and looking for work, unsuccessfully, for the last two years. There are lots of internships available, but precious few jobs, because why employ someone when you can get interns in?

It will depend on your sector of course, I’d imagine there’s always work for experienced English teachers.

Two years that's a long time to be looking for work, I don't have that option of Two years, I will go to Canada or elsewhere if I cant find a job within 4 - 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I was hoping he'd leave Ireland to try to find work elsewhere, but he's in a serious relationship and can't really leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Aldi in Rathmines are hiring and cashier wage is advertised as 11 euro an hour, not bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've been job hunting lately, and turned down 2 offers and took one, all within the past month.

If you're willing to work for minimum wage, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hi BrianBoru,

OP, this is all nonsense rhetoric from the same kind of people who are claiming that the reduction in the dole queues is entirely down to emigration.

In Dublin, there is plenty of work out there for people who are willing to turn their hand to anything.

Some industries are doing much better than others and will need you to have 5 years experience in a specific discipline, and yes some companies are offering pisstaking internship opportunities.

But there are plenty of other opportunities out there if you're looking for a straightforward day job that pays a reasonable but not large amount of money.

seamus wrote: »
    OP, this is all nonsense rhetoric from the same kind of people who are claiming that the reduction in the dole queues is entirely down to emigration.

In Dublin, there is plenty of work out there for people who are willing to turn their hand to anything.

Some industries are doing much better than others and will need you to have 5 years experience in a specific discipline, and yes some companies are offering pisstaking internship opportunities.

But there are plenty of other opportunities out there if you're looking for a straightforward day job that pays a reasonable but not large amount of money.

You have to be employed.
    Look Seamus, I am unemployed and currently searching for a job :) Everyday I face the current market and things aint as good as you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi Brian. I work or a Multinational software company, one of the biggest in the world and we're always looking for graduates who don't have a great deal of experience. The roles we have are full time, non intern open are junior sales roles, and salary is about 30k plus bonus. I think the bonus is about 12k. If you perform well, you will be promoted in 12 months, as there is a defined career path. If you PM me, let's start a conversation and get you an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You have to be employed.
    Look Seamus, I am unemployed and currently searching for a job :) Everyday I face the current market and things aint as good as you think they are.

You don't need to be employed tbh.

I don't think the market is good, not at all, it's awful. But there IS minimum wage work out there.

Like i said earlier, I turned down 2 job offers recently, and took a third.

Today, I trained in a guy in my job, who's only been in Ireland 4 months, with no experience in this industry, who applied 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow, I'm training a young guy who's been unemployed 3 years, and only applied 4 days ago.

It's really bloody difficult, but it's not impossible, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The minimum wage thing isn't really the problem, what bothers me is that you might only get 12 hours spread out over five days, that is crap. 20 hours would be bearable, but it isn't a living wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Lux23 wrote: »
    The minimum wage thing isn't really the problem, what bothers me is that you might only get 12 hours spread out over five days, that is crap. 20 hours would be bearable, but it isn't a living wage.

20 hours over 5 days is rough as it rules out the chance of making up the difference in lack of hours through welfare. Better off with 18 hours over 3 days and supplement with welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

20 hours over 5 days is rough as it rules out the chance of making up the difference in lack of hours through welfare. Better off with 18 hours over 3 days and supplement with welfare.

Depends whether you are on Jobseekers benefit, or allowance. I barely made anything above my basic benefit working over the summer usually 4 hours * 5 days. The weeks where I went over 20 hours are the only thing that made it for me. If there had been no overtime I would have been better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Will you have somewhere to stay ?Rents are Sky high in Dublin now .Have you thought about teaching in China .Good money i heard but not as pleasant an environment as Thailand ,where i also live .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

It can be very difficult to find a job. Some of the jobs have frankly ludicrious requirements, e.g deli assistant required minimum 3 years experience required, 10 year job history.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

Getting a job is not the main problem, but getting enough hours while paying Dublins extortionate rent prices on minimum wage will prove nearly impossible. If you have a place to live for free then your in business but otherwise youre in trouble.
    Believe me I'd be doing it now if I could afford to since I'm unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It can be very difficult to find a job. Some of the jobs have frankly ludicrious requirements, e.g deli assistant required minimum 3 years experience required, 10 year job history.

Would you want someone making your sandwich who had only 2 years experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

mfceiling wrote: »
    3 months experience ,would be more than enough .I dont want some brain dead troll who has been making sandwiches for 10 years lol.

mfceiling wrote: »

not sure if you are joking or being serious :pac:
    I really HOPE you are joking.

Advertisement