Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat/general discussion thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

Oh, and Zombieland Saga, how could I forget that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One thing I dislike about dubs is the lack of subtitles for them.
    Like for sign subs they're usually not showing unless you have subtitles on fully.
    then the subtitles are for the Japanese script rather than the English script.
    But there are times I like to have subs on for a show, especially if dialogue has gotten low or being drowned out by something else.
    Like Evangelion has a lot of stuff over speakers/radio that can be hard to make out at times but it's kind of distracting if the subs don't match what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Man, this is something I never expected to see. Big West and Harmony Gold have come to an agreement after 2 decades of legal battles over Macross.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-08/big-west-studio-nue-harmony-gold-agree-to-global-distribution-of-macross-robotech/.171570

This paves the way for Macross to be released outside of Asia.

Just about 30 mins into the Ghost in the Shell live action film. Yep, voluntarily. :)
    I find it funny everyone in Japan speaks English except Takeshi Kitano's character

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just about 30 mins into the Ghost in the Shell live action film. Yep, voluntarily. :)
    I find it funny everyone in Japan speaks English except Takeshi Kitano's character

I paid to see it in the cinema. They really try to shoe horn in all the hits from GitS 1 (and possibly 2 it's the one I've seen the least) and SAC 1&2 and it's just too much.

They left out out Saito and Pazu too I know they're their the most minor of the Section 9 team but I've I've always liked them. The episodes that focus on them, Face and Beware the Left Eye, are pretty good.

• Advertisement

Crunchyroll will be streaming 12 films in the UK and Ireland over the next year, a different one each month.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime-news/2021/04/19/crunchyroll-movie-night-at-home-series-launches-may-1-in-the-uk-and-ireland

I've only seen three of them - 5 Centimetres per Second, Your Name, the Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Promare is on the list which is something I've wanted to watch for a while.

Evade wrote: »
    Crunchyroll will be streaming 12 films in the UK and Ireland over the next year, a different one each month.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime-news/2021/04/19/crunchyroll-movie-night-at-home-series-launches-may-1-in-the-uk-and-ireland

I've only seen three of them - 5 Centimetres per Second, Your Name, the Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Promare is on the list which is something I've wanted to watch for a while.

All of them are provided by Anime Limited and have just about all been on their Screen Anime service over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm surprised they didn't schedule showing the new Eva movie in May.

Of 2022.

I'm surprised they didn't schedule showing the new Eva movie in May.

Of 2022.
    Optimistic.

I must start watching more films.
    I randomly chose Silent Voice to watch a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. Well also got annoyed at it for obvious reasons, but that's what it was going for.
    Have plenty I need to watch, including Studio Ghibli films.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I must start watching more films.
    I randomly chose Silent Voice to watch a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. Well also got annoyed at it for obvious reasons, but that's what it was going for.
    Have plenty I need to watch, including Studio Ghibli films.

Fantastic film, absolutely criminal that it wasn't even short listed for sn Oscar, even if Best Animated is treated as an afterthought causing most voters to not watch any submissions and just vote for whatever Pixar movie is on the list.

If it was live action with a strong cast it's the kind of movie the Academy would be falling over themselves to short list.

Oscars are such a bad metric of quality. I used to listen to SModcast years ago and around every Oscar voting time they'd essentially just vote for whatever they already saw.

A Silent Voice has a scene that shows how insanely ingrained not wearing shoes in the house in Japan is. It's the scene where Shoya screams Shoko's name
    when she's about to jump off the balcony.

Oscars are such a bad metric of quality. I used to listen to SModcast years ago and around every Oscar voting time they'd essentially just vote for whatever they already saw.

A Silent Voice has a scene that shows how insanely ingrained not wearing shoes in the house in Japan is. It's the scene where Shoya screams Shoko's name
    when she's about to jump off the balcony.

True, though sometimes they get it right like denying La La Land the Best Picture Oscar. That movie is the biggest Oscar bait ever made. A musical about how great the golden age of Hollywood was for voters who award musicals more often than not and pine after the old days where they could get away with whatever they wanted.

I think it would be a great film to show kids about the effect of bullying both in the short and long term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Fantastic film, absolutely criminal that it wasn't even short listed for sn Oscar, even if Best Animated is treated as an afterthought causing most voters to not watch any submissions and just vote for whatever Pixar movie is on the list.

If it was live action with a strong cast it's the kind of movie the Academy would be falling over themselves to short list.

Wasn't there a bit a year or so ago about how one of the Oscar judges didn't even bother watching the Best Animated nominees, just asked their kids which one they liked the best?

Just the way it still is in the West......animation = for kids! The only reason a judge would ever be in a screening of a potential Oscar nominee is if their kids/grandkids are along to watch it and they are just there to keep an eye on them.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Wasn't there a bit a year or so ago about how one of the Oscar judges didn't even bother watching the Best Animated nominees, just asked their kids which one they liked the best?

Just the way it still is in the West......animation = for kids! The only reason a judge would ever be in a screening of a potential Oscar nominee is if their kids/grandkids are along to watch it and they are just there to keep an eye on them.

Yup, and the same person also stated she would never vote for that "Chinese" crap wrt the Cartoon Saloon film that year.

There's a new, as in not a recap/remaster, Gundam SEED movie on the way. I know it's one of the least popular Gundam series but I like it. I'm looking forward to Kira stealing bits from the wrecked Destiny and slapping them on the his rebuilt StrikeFreedom².

There's a new, as in not a recap/remaster, Gundam SEED movie on the way. I know it's one of the least popular Gundam series but I like it. I'm looking forward to Kira stealing bits from the wrecked Destiny and slapping them on the his rebuilt StrikeFreedom².

Seed isn't bad, it gets completely ruined by its sequel Seed Destiny.

My Ultimate Edition bluray copy of Seed should arrive in the morning. It has a big art book and both the HD Remaster and the original version in sd on bd as they have 2 different English dubs(that I'll never watch).

I like Destiny too. Yeah, the humming and hawing between "it's all about the new characters" and "quick shoehorn in Athrun and Kira" is bad but it has a lot of cool mobile suit designs. There's a lot of small touches I think are cool in Destiny too like in the last battle the PLANTS sortie the pink Zaku from the entertain the troops show "Lacus" puts on.

I have the old collectors DVD versions of both series , the ones so old that Muu's helmet is still the final shot, they came with art books and a trivia board game.

Seed isn't bad, it gets completely ruined by its sequel Seed Destiny.

My Ultimate Edition bluray copy of Seed should arrive in the morning. It has a big art book and both the HD Remaster and the original version in sd on bd as they have 2 different English dubs(that I'll never watch).

My bd of Seed arrived this morning alongside the cheap CE of the Re:Zero game I ordered from Amazon.

554576.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dasa29

Hmm sounds interesting and Gundam Seed has been one of my favourites.
    I was looking at vids on youtube when this video popped up.

"GUNDAM SEED PROJECT ignited" Starting up! The Life-Sized Freedom GUNDAM Statue Opening ceremony

Yes Life-sized Freedom Gundam but its in Shanghai china.

They mentioned the new movie and its called
    "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ECLIPSE"
    and its set in
    CE 72 between both main series seed is set in CE.71 and Destiny is set in CE.73
    and the main characters are from
    Orb as part of what is known as ODR (Orb Disaster Relief Team) info from en.gundam.info

dasa29 wrote: »
    Yes Life-sized Freedom Gundam but its in Shanghai china.
    Ironic.
    dasa29 wrote: »
    They mentioned the new movie and its called
    "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ECLIPSE"
    and its set in
    CE 72 between both main series seed is set in CE.71 and Destiny is set in CE.73
    and the main characters are from
    Orb as part of what is known as ODR (Orb Disaster Relief Team) info from en.gundam.info
    ECLIPSE is a manga, I don't think there's any details about the new movie yet.

I hop the Eclipse Gundam comes out in RG Gunpla, I know they've announced MG but I collect RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well this is weird. Hatsune Miku had a new staring role yesterday....on the Leaving Cert English paper!

https://kotaku.com/hatsune-miku-sneaks-into-irelands-high-school-exit-exam-1847068105

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

At least it wasn't in the Irish aural, if anyone remembers "Is mise Bart Simpson".

More anime adjacent than anime but Kiryu Coco, a vtuber, is leaving Hololive on the first of next month.

More Konosuba anime on the way. It's not confirmed if it's season three or another movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

One Piece where's wally in the last chapter.

It's set mostly on the current manga with a bit more so maybe could spoil something if anyone cares.

https://i.redd.it/iexleqhe0jb71.png

Seems when Rebuild of Evangelion goes up on Amazon next week it will have another new dub. The cast is mainly the same as the Funimation dub but with Amanda Winn Lee now reprising her role as Rei.

This new dub is being done by Khara and retranslated by Dan Kanemitsu who redid the series for the Netflix release so expect a new janky translation and nonsensical grammer.

• Advertisement

The Funimation/Crunchyroll merger has been approved and Sonys purchase is complete. RIP the home video market outside North America.

Sony now have a near global monopoly on anime streaming between various arms owning Funimation, Crunchyroll, Animax and Wakanim.

Advertisement