Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite Anime character

• 05-06-2010 11:54am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily the hottest, but which Anime characters strike you as the most interesting creations?

There's plenty of favourites for me. Spike has gotta be there

cowboy_bebop_-_spike_spiegel.jpg
    The coolest of the cool :cool:

Hei from Dark than Black
    1250240021034_f.jpg
    I love his attitude and the softness that's revealed inside. Awesome fighting style too :P

Rei from NGE
    Rei_Ayanami.jpg
    Never came across anyone who didn't like her

Zero and CC from Code Geass
    %5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dwallpapers_Code-Geass_Rai%281.33%29__THISRES__80635.jpg
    Lelouch and CC, both provacative in their own way, love them both to death

Osaka from Azumanga Daioh
    Azumanga%20Daioh%20Osaka%20Knife.jpg
    One of the funnies characters ever created. Never stopped laughing whenever Osaka was on screen :D

Death the Kid from Soul Eater
    vlcsnap-178849.png
    I love his attitude and his obsession with symmetry :P

I have plenty more, but those are what springs to mind

So.... how about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

I agree with Hei, zero and CC but why does everyone like Spike?I dont get it.His face is always expressionless, he doesnt stand out and hes not one to hate either...enlighten me?

I liked aisha from outlaw star and the red haired guys name...damn cant remember his name, probably cause when I last saw that anime I was 12.

Most the people in gurenn lagann are cool too, especially kittan at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

ariaa01th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Ushiromiya Battler from Umineko is ridiculously awesome. Some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious despite being a fairly serious character.
    but11908749.jpg

Ryuuguu Rena from Higurashi because she's so completely bi-polar. Like the best combination of adorable and psychotic possible. It's like two characters that are both completely win in one body.
    rena_kana.jpg
    top10_rena_ryuuguu.jpg

Firo Prochainezo from Baccano! He's an awesome-gangster type who always wears an amazing hat (that I want) and is pretty damn slick in a fight.
    Example-

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Rei from NGE
    Never came across anyone who didn't like her

I don't like Rei. She has no likeable qualities.

I honestly can't think of a single character in any anime who seriously stands out as a favourite character to me.

I did quite like Taiso from Giant Robo.
    ba956c5dbbe2ac9a5a0991d3a1f3482c.jpg

The third Jojo was also pretty cool.
    jojocoat.jpg

Marco from Porco Rosso was also pretty great.
    686ebe1b220b5d6ef544e71b15001490.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Shouko from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu. Hot and interesting!

Kanon & Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni...

Kakashi & Haku from Naruto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jubei from ninja scroll

nsjubeiresize.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

I don't like Rei. She has no likeable qualities.

I honestly can't think of a single character in any anime who seriously stands out as a favourite character to me.

I thought the point of Rei was that she has no qualities whatsoever? That said, everyone but Misato bothered me in that anime so I can't talk.

Mine's obscure - my favourite is Matsuda from Death Note. The loveable idiot.

I thought the point of Rei was that she has no qualities whatsoever? That said, everyone but Misato bothered me in that anime so I can't talk.

Mine's obscure - my favourite is Matsuda from Death Note. The loveable idiot.
    That's pretty damn mainstream.

Pretty much everyone in Eva got on my nerves. I didn't like a single character in that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Oh, sorry, brain blip, by obscure I meant the character - he's easy to forget if you're focusing on the main characters, and most people draw a blank when I mention him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

brolyrssj_2.jpg

Even tho he wasnt in DBZ for long, hes awsome, i like his character

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coolguy68

boku from boku no pico :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

coolguy68 wrote: »
    boku from boku no pico :)

Sure is /a/ in here

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I guess I am one of the very few who sees Rei as her favourite character. Bite me. She is my favourite fictional character in fact. I never came across an interesting and alluring character as her. I love C.C. too the way she is sarcastic and flirtious. As for male characters I love Lelouch too and Alucard from Hellsing they are so twisted. I also like Rip van Winkle and Seras Victoria in the Hellsing OVA. I could go on forever. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

darren263 wrote: »
    thumps up for your article, great post...

Sorry I am abit confused. Where you talking to me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lina Inverse, no questions asked. You can't go wrong with someone throwing a Dragon slave blowing up the village paying you to kill the dragon or throws fireballs at common bandits :D

LinaInverse00.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

vegeta
    Goku
    Zaraki Kenpachi
    Kisuke Urahara
    Byakuya Kuchiki
    Kyouraku Shunsui
    Maes Hughs
    Edward Elric
    L
    Light Yagami/Kira
    Alucard
    Mugen
    Jin

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Aside from those already mentioned;
    04spik.600.jpg
    And yes, I mean both of them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Hmmmmm, I have a few!

1170136886kurogane.jpg

Kurogane from Tsubasa, love that guy!

kanu10.jpg

Kanu Unchou from Ikki Tousen

wolfwood001.jpg

Wolfwood from Trigun

akutabigamma.jpg

Gamma Akutabi from the unfortunately shortlived Zombie Powder :(

lavi.jpg

Lavi from D. Gray Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 celia19O5

I like the Sailor Moon :) a little chidish...she is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazza_480

naruto rules

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 StarShineX

gotta be Vampire Hunter D for me :D:D:D or Vincent from final fantasy if he counts lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wooden_Sword_Ryu_Battle_Uniform.jpg

Bokutō no Ryū

From "Shaman King"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

A couple of my favourites:

senjougahara.jpg

Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari

guts2.jpg

Guts from Berserk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

B24V0192-620x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

it seems like most anime characters are pretty shallow to me, designed to be the token cool character (Spike - cowboy bebop), zany/wacky (Kon - bleach), bumbling fat guy (choji - naruto), or fanservice (at least one female character in every anime ever made), cold, silent warrior (Sasuke - Naruto, Byakuya - Bleach).

Full Metal Alchemist has a small bit of these, but in general, is mercifully free of these archetypes.

Ed Elric for being such a well developed, believable character, strength, weakness, stubborness, guilt, funny, serious, he's just symphatetic, likable, and believable. I like Naruto too, but he's rather obviously your typical gutsy youngster with a can do attitude who doesn't afraid of nothin' (see Ichigo), though he has had some decent development in Shippuden. Quite like Shikimaru too for shallow reasons, though he had significant development too, particularly after Asuma...

While you're right that almost every character ever is a ball of cliches to one degree or another, you're way off the mark comparing Naruto (the character) to Ichigo. They really have nothing in common.

Ichigo is an entirely different ball of cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

eh... take away Naruto's goofiness, add a little angst and self doubt and Naruto practically is Ichigo, both underdogs who surprisingly happen to have hidden power making them potentially the strongest in their universe... Then again, thats also a very common anime theme.

Icarian wrote: »
    eh... take away Naruto's goofiness, add a little angst and self doubt and Naruto practically is Ichigo, both underdogs who surprisingly happen to have hidden power making them potentially the strongest in their universe... Then again, thats also a very common anime theme.
    So you're saying that I should take the shounen hero archetype, take away any of Naruto's identifying features and replace them with Ichigo's identifying features?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

31502.png
    L - Death Note. My absolute favourite character.

91808.jpg
    Sebastian - Kuroshitsuji. Also remarkable awesome.

Advertisement