Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Those Little Nacks

Options
  • 29-02-2008 2:15pm

No, this is not going to be a thread about knackers/roma gypsies. Around your work/home/life what has a distinct nack to getting it working.

I just discovered something quite strange. My kettle only works if I turn the dishwasher on as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to figure that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

My internet only works if I turn the computer on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The sun only turns on when I open my curtains, but I think I've broken it. I've noticed a few times when I've opened them that it's not working :confused:

orestes wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to figure that out?

Only noticed it today. But I've only been using that particular kettle for a week as the other one more or less just fried the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

oh ill probably have a couple of these.
    can only think of one now.
    I have one of those little Halogen type heaters in my room with three buttons on the top for 3 seperate sections of the heater. one of them just WILL not turn off and stay off no matter how much i messs with it - unless i hit it with a Hanger. lol. ive rtied hitting it with other things. only the hanger works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

No, this is not going to be a thread about knackers/roma gypsies. Around your work/home/life what has a distinct nack to getting it working.

I've noticed if you cut off social welfare payments you can get the little nacks/ roma gypsies working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I think this kind of nack is spelled 'knack'.

Depressingly that's all I have to contribute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Actually I've always wondered why there is a silent K?

Maybe that's how you spell it when you leave school at 6. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

mines the other way around... weird

dishwasher doesnt work till Ive made her a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

My washing machine only opens if you jam a knife underneath the handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The home house is full of things like that, The lights upstairs on the landing have to be arranged a certain way for the electricity to work and turning on lights in the shed will turn/off/blow lights in the attic room.

We got an electrician in to look at it, he said he'd never seen anything like it, it's a wonder anything works at all and it would cost loads to fix it. We just left it as it was all the lights up stairs have diagrams on them so you know which way they have to be for the power to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ScumLord wrote: »
    The home house is full of things like that, The lights upstairs on the landing have to be arranged a certain way for the electricity to work and turning on lights in the shed will turn/off/blow lights in the attic room.

We got an electrician in to look at it, he said he'd never seen anything like it, it's a wonder anything works at all and it would cost loads to fix it. We just left it as it was all the lights up stairs have diagrams on them so you know which way they have to be for the power to work.

Thats sounds like the house they built for Ned Flanders. Is there a toilet in the kitchen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

At house we were viewing the other day had a bath and toilet which was kind of slanted so you could fit through the hallway. It had a black cat outside when we arrived as well. :D Very upside down house and had a lump in one of the bedrooms under the hardwood floors. :/ We had an outside light at the front door that turned off when you slammed the door shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Beano wrote: »
    Thats sounds like the house they built for Ned Flanders. Is there a toilet in the kitchen?
    :D No nothing quite that bad, it's all little things like doors can only be locked/opened from one side. The bath water is rotting the wooden beams on a glass roof out the back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whenever I wanted to play my playstation 2 I had to keep changing it from being straight up to be flat on the ground or else it wouldn't work. After a while it would only work when it was at a 45 degree angle. Now it doesn't work at all.

My old nes didn't hold the cartridges down right (you know the way you had to push them down and they would click into place) so we had to use a door stop to get it in to the right position.

the dee wrote: »
    I think this kind of nack is spelled 'knack'.

Depressingly that's all I have to contribute...

So I see.

From google dictionary:
    Definitions of knack on the Web:

* bent: a special way of doing something; "he had a bent for it"; "he had a special knack for getting into trouble"; "he couldn't get the hang of it"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

When we first moved into our house that was built for us, the electrician had wired it wrong. Anytime you would turn on the lights, the sound system would turn on. Alternatively, any time you turned on the sound system, you turned on the lights. In the kitchen they were wired in together so anytime you turned on the lights, the radio would come on full blast.

Made sneaking in for a midnight snack that bit more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

our tv had been broken for years that the button wouldnt stay in, so we jammed matches in there to keep it on. then about a week ago, the matches had been there for at least 5 years, the matches fell out and the button was mysteriously working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my bladder only works when i wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My bedroom window won't close fully.

The lights in the kitchen are wired in such a way that when you put a bulb in both, they only work on half power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

My remote control for the TV wont work unless you push the batteries in at an angle! weird huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I've noticed that when things get a little cheesy downstairs, I'm definitely gettin any action* :D

*Joke, I swear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

God you all have sh!tty houses , bleedin' Knackers the lot of ya :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not really a knack, but I once visited a flat which had a shower in the kitchen and the path between said kitchen and bedroom criss-crossed with the stairs up to the bedroom of an adjacent flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

my bladder only works when i wake up

Im so jealous mine has a mind of its own. Talking about Nacks, can anyone remember those two knackers that were modelling, they were on Pat kenny or his boyfriends show, one of them was decent enough, had no obvious inbreeding marks at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I have to press the cancel button on the toaster before I put the bread down, otherwise it won't stay down.

Advertisement