Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Riddle me this- what do you think?

Options
  • 27-09-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

Need some help to de-bunk this one lads.
    Last week, our house alarm went off while all 3 of us (and only 3 of us in the house) were sitting eating dinner (8PM). House alarm is a bit wonky anyways so thought nothing of it. When we finished dinner, husband looked at his phone and saw a missed call from our house phone. The house phone is upstairs in a built in press, with nothing near or around it and there is currently a large chest of drawers in front of that press door, so basically to get into the phone, you have to slide the chest of drawers out of the way.
    Anyways, his mobile had a missed call from the house phone at 8PM, so I thought, ah must have been the wonky alarm, until I went upstairs, and slid the chest of drawers back, opened the press, and to my surprise, the phone was slid upwards off the receiver, and had a time of 18 minutes some odd seconds on it (the amount of time it had been off the hook), and basically, it was now 18 minutes some odd seconds past 8. So, it seems, the phone managed to get off the hook (slid upwards) and called my husband's phone itself in a sealed off press, and the receiver was nowhere near the buttons, and neither was anything else, so I'd really like some of your ideas here to explain this weird and frankly freaky experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wonky House alarm - could be the problem there, also the housephone, what type is it? Oldtimey analogue or new digital?

Is the house alarm connected to the phones? (new or old alarm?)

Is the security company (Phonewatch etc..)set to call your phone and mobile when the alarm is activated?

Have you asked the other occupants about the phone receiver being off the hook?

Could be a really simple explanation, if ye've ruled all of those out, what about Pets, Cats, Dogs, open windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

Did you give any ghosts your mobile number?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

poltergeist. sacrifice the children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Thanks Jake and Wanderer, your replies are absolutely..... predictable and useless, thanks for taking the time to add something so non-constructive to the post.

anytime

• Advertisement

@Degrassinoel and anyone else who can actually contribute something helpful to the post: it's just an ordinary phone not a fancy thing.
    Yes, of course the alarm could have triggered the phone to call the number, but what I am trying to explain is the fact that the phone was off the hook from exactly the time the phone called the mobile till I checked on it. There are no pets, and as I said, the phone is in a built in press which is sealed off with another locker, so no way the press it is in can move, as the shelves are anchored to the solid stone walls.
    I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I can check, it was very unnerving, and I'd not like a repeat episode.
    Oh, and for the funny boyos, I should say that my house is over 200 years old in parts, so has had lots and lots of previous inhabitants.

im sure theres a logical reason for things. relax and get a good night sleep. the age of the building will have no bearing on things but id say its a bit of a nightmare to maintain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Would the phone have had your husband's phone number set into a speed dial or similar? Maybe something fell onto it, knocked the reciever off and hit the speed dial?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

screamer wrote: »
    @Degrassinoel and anyone else who can actually contribute something helpful to the post: it's just an ordinary phone not a fancy thing.
    Yes, of course the alarm could have triggered the phone to call the number, but what I am trying to explain is the fact that the phone was off the hook from exactly the time the phone called the mobile till I checked on it. There are no pets, and as I said, the phone is in a built in press which is sealed off with another locker, so no way the press it is in can move, as the shelves are anchored to the solid stone walls.
    I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I can check, it was very unnerving, and I'd not like a repeat episode.
    Oh, and for the funny boyos, I should say that my house is over 200 years old in parts, so has had lots and lots of previous inhabitants.

Cheers, is it one of these phones?
    phone.jpg

or something a bit newer? - the reason i ask is that those old ones can vibrate themselves off the hook if the handset wasn't replaced properly.

Just trying to sink a few different possibilities :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

. The house phone is upstairs in a built in press, with nothing near or around it and there is currently a large chest of drawers in front of that press door, so basically to get into the phone, you have to slide the chest of drawers out of the way.

why is the chest of drawers in front of the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Did your husbands phone actually ring or just showed a missed call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

What kind of alarm is it? Is it motion sensored etc? Is it possible that there was something outside that caused a vibration that set off the alarm and moved the phone off the hook? Perhaps a big lorry or some sort of impact?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If the alarm is wired to a dialler, it will ring the programmed number (your husband in this case) regardless of if the phone is off the hook - it robs the telephone line and power to the phone handset, this would also explain the timer matching up. :) The handset could have been off the hook for months / years, it wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

why is the chest of drawers in front of the door?

I wondered that too, and why is the house phone locked away upstairs in a built in press in the first place ?

I normally keep my house phone out of closed cupboards and presses so that I can hear it. I also keep it down stairs so that I can answer it when I hear it.

I do agree though, there is some very strange behaviour in that house, but not convinced its paranormal.

I wondered that too, and why is the house phone locked away upstairs in a built in press in the first place ?

I normally keep my house phone out of closed cupboards and presses so that I can hear it. I also keep it down stairs so that I can answer it when I hear it.

I do agree though, there is some very strange behaviour in that house, but not convinced its paranormal.

God, didn't realise the paranomal forum was full of (scarcastic) comedians.
    If I needed you opinion on where my house phone resides, I'd have asked for it.

@ Steve, thanks for your helpful reply, I'm going to test this theory out, but it makes sense, (and is exactly the sort of info I was hoping for). Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

God, didn't realise the paranomal forum was full of (scarcastic) comedians.
    If I needed you opinion on where my house phone resides, I'd have asked for it.

Wasn't actually trying to be funny (or sarcastic), I was just genuinely curious. I was just expressing that I find it unusual, odd even, that someone would keep their house phone in a closed press, not to mention putting a chest of drawers in front of it.

You obviously don't have to explain or answer anything, but I'm at a loss to come up with any rational reason why anyone would keep it there. It also casts doubt upon the candour of your story, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

The thing about "paranormal occurrences" is that you first have to eliminate all the obvious and explainable reasons for something from the list, mainly because sometimes what people attribute to the paranormal is actually something pretty "normal"; when I was first starting out I used to think that every little noise in certain locations could be paranormal, but these days I would make it a point to make sure that I'm aware of the conditions of a place and its areas, as in what's there, the environment, temperature and so on so I'm able to understand why something might happen, or at least eliminate a possible reason for why something happened.

If you're essentially able to eliminate all of these as factors, then it narrows down the possibilities of what it could be. That said however, even if it's something unexplainable, it still may not necessarily be paranormal, as it may just be that you didn't have the right information to work with at the time. I'm not trying to dismiss your experience by any means, but it's important to know as much about the conditions surrounding the incident, as much as it is about the incident itself. It's also important to be aware of anything that happened just prior to the incident occurring where possible as well.

Admittedly, I'm saying something that to some is blindingly obvious, but to others, it might be less so. I'd rather put this out here knowing that I was thorough with my response and also so anyone reading this has an idea of how to go through things regarding anything they think is "paranormal". In any case, I still do believe that "paranormal" occurrences do happen, just not as often as people might think.

With regards to your incident though, it does seem a bit odd... despite the fact that the cabinet containing the phone was blocked off, I am wondering if the chest of drawers was moved even slightly? Additionally, have you had any other strange occurrences in the past or is this just the first time this has happened? Even if you're wanting to debunk/explain this particular incident, any mentions of other "strange incidents" can help contextualise things further. That said however, I suspect that this would probably be something best suited to someone investigating this on-site (especially given that there's only so much information that can be provided on a public message board), especially if this isn't the first occurrence as I get the feeling that this may not be something easily explained.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is a set of events here that taken in isolation wouldn't bother you at all. The alarm went off... and as it can dial the phone that rang, you should presume it did. The other two parts of this chain are the alarm going off, and the out of place phone. So what could have caused them? Diid you check the alarm to see which sensor triggered? As mentioned you dont know how long the house phone was off. Does it still have dial tone? I dont know if occams razor has been mentioned around here lately but basically it means the simplest explanation is usually the right one. 3 parts of this can be logically explained, the off hook phone is the only part thats making the whole thing seem odd. Definitely check to see if the alarm can still capture the line while the phone is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Very possible that there is a GSM dialler attached to the alarm somewhere and when the 'wonky' alarm went off the call was made to your husbands phone, as the phone line was taken by the dialler for this call depending on your phone type, the dialer may not have hung up or the time on your phone was misread and actually just showed the time the call to your husband was made which would match the time as the call was initiated 18'ish minutes prior.

I wouldn't read too much into it, a group of seamanly random incidents taken all together can always make peoples minds come up with elaborated situations when in reality it was just a group of random incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Scaredy_Cat

Wasn't actually trying to be funny (or sarcastic), I was just genuinely curious. I was just expressing that I find it unusual, odd even, that someone would keep their house phone in a closed press, not to mention putting a chest of drawers in front of it.

You obviously don't have to explain or answer anything, but I'm at a loss to come up with any rational reason why anyone would keep it there. It also casts doubt upon the candour of your story, for me anyway.

I was curious too! Maybe there's kids in the house and they don't want them running up a huge phone bill or something?? I know my friends parents used to do this too years ago!

That would kinda freak me out too OP, I know when our alarm goes off we get a text to our mobiles so you obviously have something similar set up with yours but as you said doesn't explain how the receiver was off the hook at that exact time. I can't explain it either sorry! Have you had any weird experiences before in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 colly4211

That would kinda freak me out too OP, I know when our alarm goes off we get a text to our mobiles so you obviously have something similar set up with yours but as you said doesn't explain how the receiver was off the hook at that exact time. I can't explain it either sorry! Have you had any weird experiences before in the house?

Ziycon wrote:
    Very possible that there is a GSM dialler attached to the alarm somewhere and when the 'wonky' alarm went off the call was made to your husbands phone, as the phone line was taken by the dialler for this call depending on your phone type, the dialer may not have hung up or the time on your phone was misread and actually just showed the time the call to your husband was made which would match the time as the call was initiated 18'ish minutes prior.

Doesn't a gsm dialler normally send a text if there's a activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

colly4211 wrote: »
    Doesn't a gsm dialler normally send a text if there's a activation.
    A lot of GSM diallers can text or call aswell, depends on the one in use and in this case if there was a dialler in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Did you check if there was any seismic activity in your area at the time? Tremors can activate alarms and phones. Unlikely that you didn't notice but still....

Update- so late last night no one was home and the phone rang my husband again. I thought straight away must be the alarm again. When I went home I checked the alarm and sure enough there was a fault at exactly the time it had called him. So mystery solved......

Advertisement