Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

ryanf1 wrote: »
    In relation to the 2:1, do you need to havr averaged it each year or is it ok if you get a 2:1 overall?

overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

bigmc23 wrote: »
    overall.

Strange they ask for a breakdown of your grades from each year. I've got a few dodgy grades on my transcript that don't look so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

TokenWhite wrote: »
    Haven't seen anything myself although I've only applied to about 5-6 firms so far. Just checked PWC, Deloitte and KPMG again to make sure and all I see mentioned are the usual 2:1, ambitious, motivated, etc. No mention of minimum LC points. Although maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Still though, that's not to say that applications won't be filtered out on that basis regardless.

E & Y where recruiting a few months ago but the minimum LC points for application where 420 with specific grades required in maths and english aswell. They will have the same filters in place for this round aswell I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

iMuse wrote: »
    E & Y where recruiting a few months ago but the minimum LC points for application where 420 with specific grades required in maths and english aswell. They will have the same filters in place for this round aswell I assume.

Yep, I did see that, and they weren't the only ones I had seen (KPMG and Deloitte too had similar LC requirements). But the fact that they haven't mentioned it this time at least gives me some hope. Don't take that from me! It's all I have!

TokenWhite wrote: »
    Yep, I did see that, and they weren't the only ones I had seen (KPMG and Deloitte too had similar LC requirements). But the fact that they haven't mentioned it this time at least gives me some hope. Don't take that from me! It's all I have!

I would get that confirmed by the HR dept. Last thing you want is to spend days on the application only for it to turn out that your LC points were too low anyways (and it is a lengthly application form) at the expense of applications to other firms where they were more lenient with the LC points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

How are people's applications coming? :)

I've made a good start on most of them. They're not THAT horrendous, TBH. I thought they'd be MUCH worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

iMuse wrote: »
    Any point in me applying with 390 LC points? I have a 2:1 degree and 2:1 Masters in accounting (Full CAP 1 & 2 exemptions). Didn't apply last year as I had planned on going travelling.

Yes!
    I got 340 LC points and 2.1 in degree and masters. Been working in one of the big 4's for 2 years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

i see a few trainees in consulting dont have to sit any accounting exams and maybe get the PRINCE2 Project Management award and then maybe a diploma in hrm instead of sitting any accounting exams? or are accounting exams a must?

I'm deciding on what to apply for at the mo and am also looking at schemes outside of the accountancy firms.

Quick q, would you consider biology an analytical degree?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

So what's everyone applying for? I have done mazars, e&y kpmg Deloitte! Not saying I have any hope��

• Advertisement

Only one completed thus far is Grant Thornton, applying to some of the big 4 and various mid-tier firms. Might not apply to all of them, dunno yet. You can almost do too many, ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Does anyone have any knowledge as to the standard of candidate they usually look for when filling the consultancy roles? It seems there are far fewer of these than Audit so I assume they are more difficult to get. I have Audit down as my second choice, do they normally consider rejected consultancy applicants seriously for other departments?

I'm studying Commerce in UCD and am just short of a 1:1 currently, not sure if I'll get it though. 470 in the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mgk2004

AdamD wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to the standard of candidate they usually look for when filling the consultancy roles? It seems there are far fewer of these than Audit so I assume they are more difficult to get. I have Audit down as my second choice, do they normally consider rejected consultancy applicants seriously for other departments?

I'm studying Commerce in UCD and am just short of a 1:1 currently, not sure if I'll get it though. 470 in the leaving.

think they usually want someone to hold or be obtaining a postgrad going by the Boucher anyway, im sure every case is different though, if you have an exceptional application and come across really intelligent in interview dont think they would pass up on you.

Of course they will consider you seriously for your second choice, id say it may limit your chances of an offer a little bit but if its what you really want go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Quick question: I've already accepted an offer having done an internship with the company. They wanted the contract signed before milk round started. However I'm now having second thoughts. Is it really bad to go back on a contract? Would there be consequences?

jubella wrote: »
    Quick question: I've already accepted an offer having done an internship with the company. They wanted the contract signed before milk round started. However I'm now having second thoughts. Is it really bad to go back on a contract? Would there be consequences?

Nope not at all, I have done the same. One thing is though that may be hard to get into that firm again! :pac:

Raf32 wrote: »
    Nope not at all, I have done the same. One thing is though that may be hard to get into that firm again! :pac:

Thanks, that's put my mind at ease a bit now! And don't worry I have no interest in returning to the firm if i get another offer!

Thanks, that's put my mind at ease a bit now! And don't worry I have no interest in returning to the firm if i get another offer!

just double check could be different with different firms but cant see how there could be any trouble with plenty of notice.

First milkround application just submitted! :)

Deloitte, let's be havin' you! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

I hope that everyone applying for a Big 4 position has real experience or has researched what its actually like, having worked with one of the Big 4 for 8 months on placement it definitely isn't for everyone.

I hope that everyone applying for a Big 4 position has real experience or has researched what its actually like, having worked with one of the Big 4 for 8 months on placement it definitely isn't for everyone.

Completely agree, that's why I'm having second thoughts after accepting my offer with one of the Big 4. It's a great opportunity but I hated 90% of my time working there during placement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

3rd time applying for tax roles in the milk round so heres hoping 3 time is a charm

scheister wrote: »
    3rd time applying for tax roles in the milk round so heres hoping 3 time is a charm

3rd time???

3rd time???

yea appears you dont get far with a 2:2 from DIT so took a year out did a masters last year so tried again last year still nothing so now have a 2:1 master so this is hopefully the lucky time

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Im applying for tax. Have a 2.2 corp law degree and a 2.1 llb degree. Also doing part 1 of the cta exams myself so hoping that might balance my 2.2 degree. Fingers crossed anyway!

Completely agree, that's why I'm having second thoughts after accepting my offer with one of the Big 4. It's a great opportunity but I hated 90% of my time working there during placement.

Why did you apply for a position then? :confused:

Why did you apply for a position then? :confused:

I did a work placement with them and was offered a position - I didn't have to apply or interview for it.

scheister wrote: »
    yea appears you dont get far with a 2:2 from DIT so took a year out did a masters last year so tried again last year still nothing so now have a 2:1 master so this is hopefully the lucky time

Thanks! I'm a bit freaked, as I'm applying for tax everywhere.

I think there are less places in tax than, say, audit, so it's more competitive. Am I right?

what was it you hated? The long hours, nature of the job etc?

bigmc23 wrote: »
    what was it you hated? The long hours, nature of the job etc?

The work was fine, the long hours were expected - It was more the culture in the place. I don't know how to explain it - It's like you constantly do the best you can but it's never good enough, and over time it just started to wear me down! I'm sure there are plenty of people strong enough for a job like that but I know myself enough to know that maybe a big firm like that isn't for me.

Also I was in a very specific area of audit, which I would be returning to should I go back, and having spoke to others in the firm there is very little room for movement - I would be worried about my career afterwards to be honest after being pigeon-holed so much.

I'm not saying everyone will hate it - I'm just saying I did, and would encourage people to thoroughly research what they're getting in to.
    At the end of the day a job is a job and I still want to do accountancy, so if nothing else comes up I will do my training there, because the qualification will be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I'm a bit freaked, as I'm applying for tax everywhere.

I think there are less places in tax than, say, audit, so it's more competitive. Am I right?

think from looking over the thread you are looking at a 2:1 so you should be ok with that.

Yea there is always less places for tax eg BDO limerick took on 7 audit last year and only 1 tax

Advertisement