Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Rockets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Monday 30th January
    Food:
    Out from bed (08:30)
    Multi-vit, lysine and vit-C drink

Breakfast (09:30)
    Porridge with walnuts and honey

Snack (11:15)
    Banana, apple and plum

Lunch (14:15)
    Cous cous, salmon fillet, slice of toast and a spoonful of curry leftovers put into the cous cous

Snack (16:00)
    Mandarin orange, banana

Dinner (20:15)
    Lasagna, spinach, gerkins, beetroot, tesco light choices salad dressing

Snack (21:30)
    Big bowl of fruit salad - banana, mandarin orange, 2 kiwi's, 2 strawberries, red grapes + half carton glensik low fat vanilla youghurt

Training
    Lunchtime Run
    Man it was cold out! I was very tempted to head to the treadmill for this but i remembered how much i hate them, particularly the one i have lunchtime access to (no ventilation and room always roasting). Extra base layer on and out i went. For once it was headwind out, tailwind back. Kept it easy as planned the whole way. HR took a about 5-10mins to get to normal easy zone but i didnt try force it knowing this session was to help get the legs back to shape, although they are 100% anyways. I have a head-cold at the moment so i was anxious to get warm fast! That was the coldest run ive had in a while though apart from the head i was warm enough.
    Time: 00:43:24, Ave Pace: 04:11min/km, Distance: 10.36km

Evening Swim
    Felt good in the swim. Form was decent and times were consistent too. Plan was for 5 sets of (200sw steady, 100p mod hard, 2 x 50 fast) but i could only manage 4 of them as a 3 people suddenly joined the lane after the 4th rep. Unfortunately while they were possibly some of the worst "swimmers" ive ever seen what was worse was their etiquette, ie they wouldnt let me through despite me walking behind them. Up to that point i virtually had a free lane. The 200s in the mainset were 03:05 (went a bit hard in the first 50 here), 03:07, 03:08, 03:11. 100pull's mod were good too and was feeling great there - 01:36, 01:35, 01:37, 01:37. Fast 50s in the mainset were approx 40/42, 40/42, 41/42, 42/43. I flagged a little in the second one of those as 10s wasn't getting me back 100. I then had 4 fast 50s on 60 at the end and these were 39, 40, 40, 41. Happy enough overall.
    Time:00:56:00, Distance: 2850m

Tuesday 31st January
    Food:
    Out from bed (08:30)
    Multi-vit, lysine, fish oil and vit-C drink

Breakfast (09:30)
    Porridge and manuka honey

Snack (11:30)
    Scone and 2 oat biscuits with a mug of milk. Just couldn't hold back!

Lunch (13:15)
    Homemade asparagus, celery, leek, onion and chilli soup (1/3 milk, 2/3 vegetable stock) + 2 slices of bread. Num num! Made a batch of this last night and love it!

Snack (15:00)
    Red apple
    1/2 cookie :(

Dinner (20:15)
    Homemade beef burger (with red pepper, onions and egg), 1/2 sweet potato, quiona mixed into mushrooms, garlic, chili and some coconut oil. Ketchup and some sweet chili sauce.

Training:
    Easy Bike
    Just a spin out tonight. Was supposed to have the FTP test but I've had a bit of a headcold the past few days. The session helped clear it out a bit so fingers crossed im ok for this on Thursday, i want to give a good go. I've already had to put it off from being sick so im gunning to do it despite the fear of the pain. Tonight I just focused on keeping cadence above 90 and the power around 190 and everything felt very easy as it should have.
    Time: 00:45:00, Ave Power 190W, Ave Cadence 94rpm, Distance 23.54km, Ave speed 31.4km/h

Wednesday 1st February
    Early Swim
    Just about managed to drag myself from the warm bed this morning! I think the part i hate most about early swims is the shock to the system when i jump in first. A warm shower though before jumping in seems to help. Plan this morning was for 4 x 400s mod hard + 30s. By the end of rep 2 i had to take the hat off as i was roasting! I really tried to focus hard on form and above all i was putting it first. It seems to go ragged when i up the intensity over longer reps. The 400s came in on 06:17, 06:18, 06:28, 06:27. Bit disappointed at the drop off for those last two. Had some fast 50s to finish which were 39, 41, 39, 39. Nice to have it done. Wednesdays are my long days (college after work) so just 1 more session to come for the day, an easy run
    Time:00:56:00, Distance: 3000m

Lunchtime Run
    I was given some pretty stressful news at work literally 20mins before heading out for this and as a result very nearly shelved it. I was on my way to just get some lunch when i realised i would be in an even fouler mood had i skipped it and thought it would be good to just get out and run it through my head on the run. Glad i did get out as it was savage out. Very cold but not too much wind and great blue skies. I love running in those cold conditions. I've noticed the past few days that all of the new years resolution brigade are gone. I havent spotted any of them in the last 2 week. I thought they'd get past January at least! HRM was jumping like mad. HR was was around 137/8 any time i got it to settle and it felt as easy. Fortunately by 17:45 all was resolved on the work front when my neck was seriously on the line and i was abel to sleep without it hanging over me last night!
    Time: , Ave Pace: , Ave HR About 137, Distance: km Details TBC as i havent uploaded yet

Food:
    Pre-swim (06:25)
    Vit-c drink, fish oil, lysine, multi-vit, half a banana, strong coffee!

After swim (08:15)
    Other half of the banana

Breakfast (08:45)
    Porridge with walnuts, 1/2 scoup protein powder and milled linseed

Snack (11:15)
    Apple and 4 walnut halves

Lunch (14:30)
    Homemade asparagus, celery, leek, onion and chilli soup (1/3 milk, 2/3 vegetable stock) + 2 slices of bread.

"Snack" (18:15)
    Didnt make it home before college so just grabbed an egg salad soft roll, a chicken sandwich, bag of salt and vinegar tayto and a tropicana OJ from tesco

Dinner (22:30)
    Much later than planned so just made some soup. A nice butternut squash, onion, sweet potato and chili soup made 1/3 organic whole milk, 2/3 water, a tiny amount of quiona mixed with flaked almonds/raisins + 1/2 ciabatta roll

Thursday 2nd February

Food:
    Breakfast (08:30)
    Porridge with walnuts, 3/4 scoup protein powder, manuka honey and small amount of milled linseed
    200ml apple juice with lysine, multi-vit.

Snack (11:30)
    Banana
    3 Nairns oatcakes with Whole Earth organic peanut butter

Lunch (13:15)
    More of the homemade butternut squash soup + 1 dry slice of toast and glass of milk

Training:
    Today is FTP day!! Will be doing it right after work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    Training:

My moneys on 317

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Alice Green Prizefight

Training:

Good luck with the test, i assume you are using the T5+T20 testing protocol?
    Make sure you remember to zero offset the P2M before you launch into the T5 or you could have the same issues as i had last night:rolleyes:
    No doubt you will have some banging tunes lined up to drive you on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

and no caffeine and make sure fan is turned on ;)

good luck!

My moneys on 317

I wish! We'll see but im not expecting too much. Around 300 and id be happy but that would mean holding 315 or so!

and no caffeine and make sure fan is turned on ;)

good luck!

I drink so much coffee that it would take about 5 espressos to effect me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I know your biking is strong so I've every faith your numbers will be impressive, probably JB + 35watts ;)

I'm more interested in your FTP testing session toons of choice though :)

• Advertisement

Just getting on now. 5TT will be to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1s8ZVmCMvE&feature=youtu.be 20TT probably to complete silence as i find i hate any distractions!

Its done! On cool down now

Thursday 2nd February Training
    FTP Bike Test
    Man i hate pain but i got myself well physced for this one. I had had a crazy day at work that had the adrenaline already flowing from stuff there, in a good way by the end of it so i was gunning to go. Was home a fair bit later than planned so had a gel and a bit of nutella on bread to se me through. Started out a bit conservative in the 5TT at 320W, realised fairly soon i could push a fair chunk more so did so and finished it with an average of 354W. Had the tunes ready to go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1s8ZVmCMvE&feature=youtu.be on repeat! An old classic i loved when i was about 12 and a well named track for the occasion! So off i went. Again a bit careful at around 330W. I upped it a little to around 335-340 a few mins in. I flagged a small amount midway but perked up up again with 8mins to go and just gritted my teeth to hold on. With 1 min to go i gave it my all and near fell off by the end. I had to lie down for a minute before doing the cooldown! Happy enough with a result of 322W as my FTP. Weighed myself before and after which had interesting results:
    77.3 kg
    12.3 % BF
    61.2 % Water
    64.4 kg Muscle

And after:

76.3 kg
    11.9 % BF
    61.5 % Water
    63.9 kg Muscle

Heres the garmin file for anyone interested - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146662672

Time: 01:10:30, Ave Power 240W, Ave HR 127, Ave Cadance 89, Distance 41.15km, Ave speed 35.0km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done! I had 324 in my head and you sure do have the power. Savage test and from the garmin file it looks like you emptied the tank at the end. Max HR of 170? Does that correspond with the max bike HR you historically know? The power is there for your HIM bike split in advance... now just to get the work done wo you can execute it with legs to hit the 1:20 off it!

Cheers Mike. I really didnt know how that was going to go. I hit 174 last time but that was the highest i had ever seen on the bike. 166 was the max i hit before in 2010. My HRs seem to generally be slightly lower than most. For instance my run LTHR is just 163 from November. 01:20 is going to be a hell of an ask, even 02:25 will going by the times from last year (it seems a slowish course) and ive been thinking if 04:20 is realistic recently. Ill mull it over and chat to coach on it as 04:20 is the ultimate goal but its hard to know if its actually achievable and i have some doubts tbh. I mean id beat a pro or two with that time and finish top 20 on last years results! It was picked based on looking to go to Vegas but thats out now as i just cant afford it and all eyes will be on Kenmare around then instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Very nice numbers there Ed.
    Sure looks like a top quality CP20 session and you emptied the tank.
    Impressive performance getting HR up that high and returning solid Power figures to match.
    Especially for a first test... I found my second and third tests were better from the experience alone.
    Though it looks as though you emptied your tank, on next test you'll have worked out a higher watts/kg figure in your head and immediately commit to it at start and possibly push higher again at end. That's what I found anyway...

Solid session.
    I too had a dose in the pain cave this evening... B2R Power Turbo classes and man were the numbers hard! :cool: good buzz in there and makes you work hard I must say.
    Struggled with the hard targets, I remember thinking faack... I'd kill for a CP20 test over this anyday! :eek::D
    all good learning curve.

I reckon you'll top these numbers on next test, though HR peaks will be hard to match/beat!

Well done.
    and losing 1kg of body weight in one session! Mad :eek: I haven't ever checked weight before and after... no point as I reach straight for some food/drink to recover!

Great testing Ed and it looks well paced with you really gunning the last few minutes of it. Always nice to see a steady climb on hr and near hitting max towards the end. I agree with fazz now that you have that test under the belt you will have more confidence in your ability when the next test rolls around and you will be able to commit to a number earlier.
    What would you plan to pace Majorca off, 80% FTP? As 257watts will have you flying around with a fast bike split.
    No more coasting around of that old figure of 277watts.....thats old money:)

Well done!!
    I know your biking is strong so I've every faith your numbers will be impressive, probably JB + 35watts ;)

Good call you were only 3watts out;)

Fazz wrote: »
    Very nice numbers there Ed.
    Sure looks like a top quality CP20 session and you emptied the tank.
    Impressive performance getting HR up that high and returning solid Power figures to match.
    Especially for a first test... I found my second and third tests were better from the experience alone.
    Though it looks as though you emptied your tank, on next test you'll have worked out a higher watts/kg figure in your head and immediately commit to it at start and possibly push higher again at end. That's what I found anyway...

Solid session.
    I too had a dose in the pain cave this evening... B2R Power Turbo classes and man were the numbers hard! :cool: good buzz in there and makes you work hard I must say.
    Struggled with the hard targets, I remember thinking faack... I'd kill for a CP20 test over this anyday! :eek::D
    all good learning curve.

I reckon you'll top these numbers on next test, though HR peaks will be hard to match/beat!

Well done.
    and losing 1kg of body weight in one session! Mad :eek: I haven't ever checked weight before and after... no point as I reach straight for some food/drink to recover!

Oh i have done them before. Once on the turbo for HR only, once on coaches Computrainer, then last November when i first got the P2M unit and then last night. I'll certainly do the next one better though as last nights was the first that i can make proper decisions power wise off.

Do there be many at the B2R sessions? Id imagine its great to be able to suffer in a group like that. The weight loss was interesting alright. I was sweating a lot alright. This morning im at 76.7 which from memory is the lightest ive been on a morning weigh-in in a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey dude,

Excellent work last night. You desrcibed the way my test went last week, having to get off the bike before falling off and settling myself before the CD. It's mad how similar our body comp stats are at the moment, never thought that'd happen :)

Oh i have done them before. Once on the turbo for HR only, once on coaches Computrainer, then last November when i first got the P2M unit and then last night. I'll certainly do the next one better though as last nights was the first that i can make proper decisions power wise off.

Do there be many at the B2R sessions? Id imagine its great to be able to suffer in a group like that. The weight loss was interesting alright. I was sweating a lot alright. This morning im at 76.7 which from memory is the lightest ive been on a morning weigh-in in a very long time

Yeah the b2r sessions are very good.
    As you said better to suffer in a group than on own!
    Seem to be the 8-10 people there any time I am anyway so yep seems a hit.
    Really like the Lemond trainers also and power seems very accurate.
    There was a guy with 3d Tri gear on last night not sure if anyone on here..

All you guys losing weight! I don't and wouldn't want to!
    Free watts per kg damn ye! :D

• Advertisement

Hey dude,

Excellent work last night. You desrcibed the way my test went last week, having to get off the bike before falling off and settling myself before the CD. It's mad how similar our body comp stats are at the moment, never thought that'd happen :)

Cheers ElD. Im on the see food, eat food diet tonight unfortunately so im sure to climb a little back up!

Friday 3rd February Training
    Lunchtime Run
    Plan was for just a 30minute easy to get the legs in order. Im not sure what is going on, i was a little shocked to say the least during this run. I think someone must have put something in my food as i wasnt feeling normal. My legs felt like they had just had a 2 week taper! They just felt amazing. After the FTP last night i was expecting them to be at least slightly jaded or achy but nothing of the sort was going on. HRM was spiking like crazy from km 3 to 6 but RPE was easy the whole way. Here are the detailed splits:
    Split Time Moving Time Distance Avg Pace Avg Moving Pace Best Pace Avg HR Max HR
    1 03:53.0 03:52 1 03:53 03:52 02:32 123 146
    2 03:51.2 03:51 1 03:51 03:51 03:27 138 141
    3 03:49.2 03:49 1 03:49 03:49 03:17 142 155
    4 04:13.3 04:13 1 04:13 04:13 03:46 145 156
    5 04:06.9 04:07 1 04:07 04:07 03:42 142 157
    6 04:09.3 04:09 1 04:09 04:09 03:34 139 142
    7 04:09.6 04:10 1 04:10 04:10 03:42 140 143
    8 02:55.0 02:52 0.7 04:11 04:06 02:20 142 145
    Summary 31:07.6 31:03.0 7.7 04:03 04:02 02:20 139 157

Something not right!
    Time: 00:31:08, Ave Pace: 04:03/km, Ave HR 139 - includes lots of spikes so probably more like 137, Distance: 7.7km

Swim:
    Crazy crazy crazy day at work. Emails coming in every 2 to 3 minutes and only had about 1/2 the day at the desk so i wasnt out til after 8 which meant pool would be closing 15mins after id arrive.

Its nice when those easy runs turn out at a very fast pace, 4.03km pace is very tasty.

There was a guy with 3d Tri gear on last night not sure if anyone on here..

What he look like, or more importantly what was he riding. Should know who he is then.

What he look like, or more importantly what was he riding. Should know who he is then.

Short shaved hair, maybe about my height or bit taller.
    Trying to rack my brains on bike but can't recall, it was his road bike though...

Short shaved hair, maybe about my height or bit taller.
    Trying to rack my brains on bike but can't recall, it was his road bike though...

That's the man we call Andy Bolt. Don't think he hangs around these parts. Animal runner, sub 16min 5ker. And saying he has short shaved hair is being too nice. The guys bald!

And Fazz, is that your car with the wing mirror hanging off??

That's the man we call Andy Bolt. Don't think he hangs around these parts. Animal runner, sub 16min 5ker. And saying he has short shaved hair is being too nice. The guys bald!

And Fazz, is that your car with the wing mirror hanging off??

sub 16min 5ker! Savage...

Yep that was my car with the mirror hanging off! Was it you???:mad::D

There I am spending a couple hours in the pain cave and I come out, hit the road and on m50 realise my feckin passenger side mirror is hanging off!
    Get home a few curses later, mind settled that karma will bite them back and I get out to assess damage.
    3 poppers re-popped in later and all is well again...

Got lucky, but nice of someone to hit it and not say anything eh :cool:

You spend as much time as me in there ya know that... Kev popped over at end and I managed to tell him to order me another pair of the Kinvara's... like them a lot I must say.
    What was it this time for yourself?

sub 16min 5ker! Savage...

Yep that was my car with the mirror hanging off! Was it you???:mad::D

There I am spending a couple hours in the pain cave and I come out, hit the road and on m50 realise my feckin passenger side mirror is hanging off!
    Get home a few curses later, mind settled that karma will bite them back and I get out to assess damage.
    3 poppers re-popped in later and all is well again...

Got lucky, but nice of someone to hit it and not say anything eh :cool:

You spend as much time as me in there ya know that... Kev popped over at end and I managed to tell him to order me another pair of the Kinvara's... like them a lot I must say.
    What was it this time for yourself?

Wasn't me, just noticed it on the way out. You'll always have cnuts like that. Bought my car brand new in 08. Within a week a shopping trolley had been bounced off it. Still a chip missing off the front passenger side door. Fcukers.

Was in with Eanna for a wetsuit on Friday but they didn't have my size so picked it up this eve. That's all I bought and I promised them that's it for a long time!! Getting ridiculous at this stage. My kinvaras are very worn on the outside of the forefoot after only 100km so watch for that.

Hope Eddies ok, no training logged here in a while!!

My kinvaras are very worn on the outside of the forefoot after only 100km so watch for that.

Hope Eddies ok, no training logged here in a while!!

Have read different reports on the Kinvara's... most seemed happy but a few had wear issues and some had none.
    I'm hoping I'll be ok but either way happy they are the runner for my training runs for the next while anyway.

Yep Eddie back to you, I've noticed your SBR records have had minimal updates also... Either you are so busy training you now can't update anymore, or you've taken some holidays out?
    Hope all is well. You still doing Sportsman this weekend? Not for me unfortunately but hopefully the next one.

• Advertisement

Hey lads. Sorry for lack of activity. Been very busy at work with 6 day weeks lately but have been training away. Some great sessions too when I had felt tired before starting them. Great HoP tonight pushing beyond 400watts for the last few surges. Hopefully ill get it updated here tomorrow otherwise it might be Saturday when at work. Wont be doing the duathlon either. The switch in dates mucked up my plans a bit. Was going to do the naas race coming up but may have to be in work that day now too with the soon to be most powerful man in the world coming to visit!

Advertisement