Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That Neanderthal question.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well yes and no and not really at that time, as the whole area down to the thames would have been ice bound and not fit for man nor beast. Yes bears(and other life) would have migrated by way of land bridges, but as the ice melted Ireland was cut off first, so its bear population was isolated from that point on. Britain being connected for much longer to the european mainland(and having areas that were always ice free) allowed different/later bears in. It's also why we lost out on snakes, moles and rabbits among other animals and plants(Ireland before man started bringing stuff along was remarkably narrow an ecosystem compared to say the UK). No doubt this process happened a few times in previous interglacials. The mountain ranges in northern Spain seems to have acted as a similar gene barrier for their bear lines.
    dubhthach wrote:
    It any modern population closely resemble Otzi the Iceman then it's Sardinians.
    They also have higher than average Neandertal genes too. Otzi has much more than modern peoples as he was closer to the event(s). Overall Europeans have slightly higher Neandertal genes than Asians and they have different ones too. This would suggest that it wasn't just in the middle east we broke out the flowers and milk tray and that when we got into Europe we had a few dalliances with each other later on. Otzi's much higher level of Neandertal genes would bolster this model too. If they can process Asian DNA of the same period and it's lower than Otzi it'll seal the deal.

I'll bet the farm that that's exactly what they'll find. Asians with Neandertal DNA mostly picked up in the ME, later picking up other archaic* human lovin from folks already living in Asia, eg Denisovians. Whereas in Europe, they'll find more Neandertal mixing going on from the time we shared Europe with each other.

*I dislike the archaic tag with these guys and gals. Yes around 40,000 years ago we really do seem to have had a real explosion in art and culture and technology, but previous to that there's not a lot between us "modern" humans and the other guys. Indeed the earliest industrial process so far found wasn't invented by us, it was Neandertals who cracked it. They were converting bark pitch into a very strong glue requiring very precise temps and an anaerobic environment. Experimental archaeologists have replicated it in the way they reckon they did it, but with variable degrees of success and with tiny amounts resulting. They still have their secrets. What's really cool is they found an example of a lump of this glue with a neandertal fingerprint on it. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I dislike the term archaic as well, personally I think of the difference as more as between Lions and Tigers. The Neanderthals were our cold adopted cousins sort of like one could argue that Siberian Tigers are cold adopted cousins of Savannah Lions.

What's evident is that certain Asian populations have higher Denisovans admixture, specifically notable in places like Melanesia and New Guinea. Negrito populations in the Philippines also show Denisovian admixture, the Negrito's are regarded as the "First people" in the Philippines and pre-date the arrival of austronesian speaking people from Taiwan in the Neolithic (bringing rice-cultivation etc.). As an aside the austronesian "Explosion" is as interesting as the Indo-European radiation. Today Austronesian languages can be found from Madagascar in the west to Easter Island in the East and from New Zealand in the South to Hawaii in the North. Plus still spoken in Taiwan by "Taiwanese aboriginals".

N.B. my other-half can speak at least three austronesian languages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dubhthach wrote: »
    I dislike the term archaic as well, personally I think of the difference as more as between Lions and Tigers.
    Exactly only even closer than that. Clearly closer as we could have viable and fertile kids with each other. They also look "weird" to us today, but humans have changed quite a bit to look at in the last 40,000 years. Go back 100,000 years and we have big brow ridges, more sloping foreheads, bigger teeth, less of a chin etc. We were slightly taller on average(though one Iranian Neandertal lad was nigh on a six footer) and more gracile and a few minor enough details that mark us out as different but that's about it.
    Negrito populations in the Philippines also show Denisovian admixture,
    Oh really? That's interesting indeed. Do you know if the Andaman island Negritos show any Denisovian admixture? They look like to have been remnants of the first Africans to run along the coasts outside Africa. I had the notion that they wouldn't find any Denisovian or Neandertal genes in them because they avoided the interior where those guys were living and that it was only later Africans migrated far enough into the hinterlands to encounter and have kids with the "locals".

Then again you'd have to find the most isolate among them as a group today. Even though they are quite separate from the majority population even today, over the last 30,000 years or whatever it gives plenty of time for them to get Denisovian from other moderns in the area. I suppose if they had less than those around them it might show the latter, but if they had more it might show a more ancient influx?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The Andaman ones interesting enough don't show any admixture supposedly (Onge people) likewise negritos in Malaysia didn't show admixture. It's seen in filipino negritos, melanesians and Australian aboriginals. Kinda points to an admixture event occurring somewhere in eastern part of South-East Asia (east of Borneo -- perhaps inclusive)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

...and meanwhile, over in Washington state, we have Kennewick Man who doesn't seem to fit anywhere...

tac

• Advertisement

Yea oul Kenny is an interesting guy indeed Tac.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's a useful map showing the ecological zones of Europe around 18,000 BP.

273618.jpg

The map is from this article on the distribution of hair pigmentation in Europe.
    ht.ly/ph87p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There seems to be an abundance of Neanderthal material emerging at the moment.
    This is particularly interesting.
    Neanderthals gave us disease genes
    Gene types that influence disease in people today were picked up through interbreeding with Neanderthals, a major study in Nature journal suggests.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25944817

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea oul Kenny is an interesting guy indeed Tac.

I must be the last person to have noticed how much Patrick Stewart looks like the Kennewick Man reconstruction, Don't get out of my cave enough these days.

But if he looks like Stewart, does that mean that Kennewick Man was a Scot?

Would explain quite a few things, Could explain the origins of the Incas!

Yes Kennewick Man is a bit of an outlier as he doesn't look like the present day locals and there have been other archaic American remains found that would be similar. This doesn't make him a european though. Peoples morphology can change over time within the same population.

Another theory is that the Americas weren't just populated by an Asian migration, though this was the largest and the one that left more people down to today. Other migrations may have come from Europe. The American Clovis culture which was once(and still is for some) the ground zero of humans in the Americas looks incredibly similar to lithic cultures(stone tools and stuff) in France/Western Europe and quite different to Asian lithics of the same time. If you were just going on the lithics you'd be forgiven for suggesting Americans are "Europeans". Genetic studies show that the majority of genes come from the Asian migration. However there are some deeper European type genes present particularly in the east of America. This was usually explained as a later admixture from much later European colonial times. It may not be.

So going way back to Kennewick Man's time you may well have had a few bands of more European type peoples among the Asian folks and he's an example that shows some of those traits.

Of course there's the political hot potato with this. Kennewick Man's discovery, study and subsequent removal by local Natiave American groups because he was "one of their own" muddies the water in a big way these days. Put it another way if clear proof was found of a 9000 year old European in the Americas, poo would hit the fan with a few groups. If clear evidence of pre clovis americans way before that date came out, you'd have queues of university types making for top floor windows to jump off.

I do recall a documentary I saw on Kennewick Man and what was interesting for me was an interview with a local Native American dude who was an expert in tribal legends and stories. Unlike others interviewed he was interested in Kennewick Man as a possible outlier for another reason. Apparently some of the legends spoke of a band of paler people who looked different to the locals who moved through the area, were fought with and driven off. Maybe a race memory of these other populations? Then again other recent research is suggesting that Europeans weren't pale back then(though IMH the jury is right out on this score) and any migration to the Americas would have consisted of darker people.

Actually on that front and bringing in me old mates the Neandertals... They were pale apparently and some had red/blond hair(though different genes to moderns involved in the latter). We got jiggy with each other in the middle east as some moderns were leaving Africa. OK so what are the Neandertal pale gene markers? Are they more like modern European pale genes, or Asian pale genes(these two modern groups differ) or are they very different? If they're more like one or the other modern populations then maybe that's where the pale vibe kicked off with one population anyway? Going by what seems to be evidence of later admixture with Neandertals in Europe what about their pale genes? Or in Asia what about Denisovan pale genes? Same as Neandertals or different again, more like modern Asian folks or different? This skin colour thing may be a great way to track admixtures goin on all over the place. That study published in nature, does mention that many of the genes involved are to do with skin and hair. I'd love to see more on that score. Their ginger gene is different to our ginger gene so what other hair genes are involved?

EDIT on the difficulty in giving up the ciggies genes, maybe that's related to an ADHD set of genes? Or and from left field and from passes for my brain... I did read of studies that showed people who smoked most and had most difficulty giving up also funny enough had more genes/mechanisms for lung protection. If they never smoked their lungs were stronger, more resistant to damage than those without such adaptations. So... maybe that came about because of smoke. Not from ciggies, but from campfires. Think about it, humans are the only animal on the planet who regularly exposes themselves to fire and smoke. All other animals avoid it like the plague. Smoke is a major irritant and would have had health implications for our species from early on when we used it for protection and cooking. If you've ever sat round a campfire and got a full blast of wood smoke you'll know what I mean. Another area of study might back this up. Animal studies into tobacco and lung disease often show rapid deterioration with even small doses, yet a lot of humans puff away(unhealthily) for a lifetime. It's bad for them yes. Very. However even when disease occurs it usually takes decades of exposure. So maybe woodsmoke adaptations are part of that?

On a personal totally unscientific note, I found giving up cigs incredibly difficult and only managed it through those vaping yokes and I've 3 odd % Neandertal goin on. So it's not my willpower it's my pesky beetle browed ancestors. The stocky bastids. That's my excuse anyway.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    EDIT on the difficulty in giving up the ciggies genes, maybe that's related to an ADHD set of genes? Or and from left field and from passes for my brain... I did read of studies that showed people who smoked most and had most difficulty giving up also funny enough had more genes/mechanisms for lung protection. If they never smoked their lungs were stronger, more resistant to damage than those without such adaptations. So... maybe that came about because of smoke. Not from ciggies, but from campfires. Think about it, humans are the only animal on the planet who regularly exposes themselves to fire and smoke. All other animals avoid it like the plague. Smoke is a major irritant and would have had health implications for our species from early on when we used it for protection and cooking. If you've ever sat round a campfire and got a full blast of wood smoke you'll know what I mean. Another area of study might back this up. Animal studies into tobacco and lung disease often show rapid deterioration with even small doses, yet a lot of humans puff away(unhealthily) for a lifetime. It's bad for them yes. Very. However even when disease occurs it usually takes decades of exposure. So maybe woodsmoke adaptations are part of that?
    Very plausible imho.
    As you say we've been sitting around the camp fire for quite a while now - there has to be some form of adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

... and the craving for that smoky smell and the smoke screen/bubble we surround ourselves in when we smoke are really a genetic visceral craving for protection and comfort, not something new though, something ancestral !
    I like it :)

(says I, puffing away on my Nicorette inhaler)

A very interesting paper that takes a look at the question of Neanderthal versus Modern Human intelligence.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0096424

Neanderthal-and-human-sku-011.jpg

And some pretty speculative stuff published in the National Geographic.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140430-neanderthals-cook-food-evolution-science/

slowburner wrote: »
    A very interesting paper that takes a look at the question of Neanderthal versus Modern Human intelligence.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0096424
    Interesting indeed. Though I still beleive at least some of our theories are biased by an eye of the beholder vibe. EG This line from the above paper; Later, the genetic evidence was supported by fossils which showed that Africans were far more modern looking than their Neandertal contemporaries, with dates for the Omo Kibish 1 and Herto skulls in Ethiopia suggesting that the early modern human morphology emerged in East Africa possibly as early as 195,000 year agoEmphasis mine. The joke is that wikipedia and a few other sources on these early moderns actually used to show a cast of a French Neandertal skull... Some still do. Modern looking? About the biggest and most obvious diff is that the brain case of the African folks is much more rounded. They have very large brow ridges similar to Neandertals and also have a very projecting face. There's not that much in it.

Later on those differences really stand out though. The pic there comparing a Neandertal with a fully modern is a little misleading. If you ever get the chance to hold casts of both in your hands the differences are really obvious. The Neandertal is massive across the board. They have huge heads and are much longer front to back than us. The shape of the cheeks of all things also strike you as very different. Never mind a nose which would have put Cyrano DeBergerac to shame :) If you met one your mind would be thinking "don't mention the nose, god, don't mention the nose. Try not to even look at it for fear of causing offence". :) Then again maybe big noses were a massive turn on to lady Neandertals. Likely they were and a small modern nose would make you look like a child to them. "Hey small nose" may have been an insult. :)

I would agree with the main conclusions of the paper that there is little enough good evidence of enough of a difference that would have made us superior. Not before the massive explosion of culture that occurred later on. Go back 100,000 years ago and it would be a brave man who would have called it as to who would win. I'd still go back to the idea that what really made us superior was the capacity for a wider social network. It might have been a tiny seed at first, but as our population grew that seed was what kicked off the major revolution(s). Neandertals, otherwise just as adept as us never had that seed and remained socially narrow, even xenophobic.

I've made the comparison before, but IMHO it fits pretty well. Wolves and dogs. Neandertals have been called "wolves with knives", I'd take that further and suggest their social behaviour was similar. Small familial "packs" with a wide territory that abuts other "packs". Xenophobia and aggression is the order of the day if two packs meet. Outside human hunting the most likely demise for a wolf is at the jaws of another wolf. Nearly every adult male Neandertal shows trauma. This has been explained as being the result of close in hunting accidents, but quite a number of injuries look like blunt force trauma. Evidence of cannibalism of other non related groups has been found in Spain. Wolves tend to be quite narrow genetically, just like Neandertals. Wolves only seek out others when leaving the familial group to find mates. Maybe Neandertals were similar? The more genes we extract may help to show this.

Then we have dogs. Very closely related to wolves, but act very differently. They don't form packs when feral. Instead they form loose associations with others that ebb and flow depending on the environment. Their social hierarchy is looser. They'll mate indiscriminately(including with wolves at times) and have more gene flow going on. They're more open to new experiences throughout life and beyond puppyhood. IE you can teach an old dog new tricks, but not a wolf.

Interestingly where wolves and dogs are in the same area the wolves tend to get squeezed out. They either retreat further away, succumb to novel pathogens or get "bred out". IMH the model of the slow demise of the Ethiopian wolf, especially with regard to the impact of the domestic dogs in the area mirrors what happened with Neandertals and us.

Again if we were to place bets on who would "win" between dogs and wolves most would likely give the wolf the nod. Bigger, stronger, larger brained, more capable hunters(on the surface) with stronger familial bonds compared to dogs. If humans died out tomorrow leaving our pet doggies to roam free, I'll bet that wolves would go extinct in pretty short order. Sound familiar or wha?
    slowburner wrote: »
    And some pretty speculative stuff published in the National Geographic.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140430-neanderthals-cook-food-evolution-science/
    Speculative, but it might have some legs. The fact they made cooked biscuits came as a right shock. As the researcher points out they were also able to control the manufacture of pitch and that's very tricky. Some tantalising finds coming from Spain of very well made wooden items might suggest they could have had bowls, plates, even rudimentary pots. The lack of wood that survives is a real pain. A lot of their tools show wear consistent with woodworking and I strongly suspect they were really adept with wood. Far more than we realise. Maybe more than "us". One area are needles. It's believed they didn't have them, but bone needles show up around us. However unlike bone, wooden needles would have long decayed away unless we get very lucky someday.

I think wolves would do just fine if humans died out, particulary given the massive negative impact humans have on Wolves. One only has to look at the reintroudction in Yellowstone and how Wolves has successfully recolonised the Rockies.

By and large Wolves kill and eat dogs when they encounter them. I think part of the difference you note between feral dogs and Wolves is due to difference in prey. The coyote could be used as a decent proxy. Coyotes are too small to go after moose or Bison. Whereas with wolves given their social structure and size can take down even the largest of Bison as long as they are opperating in a functional pack setting.

Anyways back to Neanderthal's what always surprises me is that people don't think of the analgoy of Polar Bear's and Brown Bears. At the moment obviously people think of Polar Bear as been at risk due to climatic change/shock. One could argue that this is exactly what happened with Neanderthal's. They were cold adapted species just like how Polar Bear's are (compared to Grizzlies whom they share a common ancestry with). It's quite possible that climatic change thus had quite negative impact on them, just as some would argue it's having on Polar bears today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Hey Wibbs,
    Just looking at the image that SB posted showing the difference/similarities between the human skull and a neanderthal's,is there what looks like a small sagittal crest on the skull of the neanderthal or is it just the way the skull may have been reconstructed?
    I can't say I know a great deal about Palaeoanthropology,but am presently reading John Reader's 'Missing Links - In Search of Human Origins',which has been a good read thus far.As the title suggests,it's more about the search by Palaeoanthropologists(past and present) for the fossil remains of early hominids.I've always had a soft spot(so to speak) for the Neanderthals and was wondering if you could recommend any decent up to date books that can shed light on what we know so far about their lives?

dubhthach wrote: »
    I think wolves would do just fine if humans died out, particulary given the massive negative impact humans have on Wolves. One only has to look at the reintroudction in Yellowstone and how Wolves has successfully recolonised the Rockies.
    Oh sure, but if dogs survived our extinction wolves would face a lot of competition. For a start they reproduce faster. Female dogs come into season twice a year compared to once in the wolf. In general dogs have a wider food choice and require less overall. Feral dogs can form huge "packs" of unrelated animals. Wolves though a lot stronger one on one would be in trouble faced with the sheer numbers involved. Some have suggested that both these pressures may have occurred in our Neandertal cousins.
    Anyways back to Neanderthal's what always surprises me is that people don't think of the analgoy of Polar Bear's and Brown Bears. At the moment obviously people think of Polar Bear as been at risk due to climatic change/shock. One could argue that this is exactly what happened with Neanderthal's. They were cold adapted species just like how Polar Bear's are (compared to Grizzlies whom they share a common ancestry with). It's quite possible that climatic change thus had quite negative impact on them, just as some would argue it's having on Polar bears today.
    Aye but the problem with the cold adapted Neandertal hypothesis is that they survived in Eurasia for 200,000 + years in many different climates. From warmer than today to significantly colder. They ranged from the middle east to near tundra regions, from forest to more open country. Indeed if anything cold would have pressured them more. Without fitted clothing like we had their temperature range would have been lower. In theory.

Personally?(wild conjecture here) Yes they would be more suited to a cold climate because of body shape compared to say a skinny Maasai, but I think sometimes the cold adaptation model is applied too much/taken as a handy given. Their bodyshape may have had other influences too. EG their style of hunting, close in and requiring brute strength would influence the size of body. Sexual selection may have influenced it too. Skinny guy was out, stocky guy was in. The climate thing may have been a happy accident and successive cold snaps reinforced a trend towards that bodyshape.
    Bonedigger wrote: »
    Hey Wibbs,
    Just looking at the image that SB posted showing the difference/similarities between the human skull and a neanderthal's,is there what looks like a small sagittal crest on the skull of the neanderthal or is it just the way the skull may have been reconstructed?
    More the reconstruction/angle BD. The top of their heads was pretty much as smooth as ours.

Books wise? The stuff is changing so rapidly with these guys it's hard to keep up :) but The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story by Dimitra Papagianni, and Michael A. Morse would be a very good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Fair play Wibbs!
    Just ordered 'The Neanderthals Rediscoverd .......' I'll let you know what I think in due course.
    Thanks again.

Another paper (2010) examined microfossils (particularly starches) in the dental calculus of two Neanderthal specimens.
    The evidence appears to be consistent with the consumption of cooked vegetables.
    www.pnas.org/content/108/2/486.full

• Advertisement

Some intriguing reconstructions of various hominids. There is a selection to view in the slideshow towards the end of the page.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bringing-human-evolution-life-180951155/?no-ist

The Spanish team believe the more primitive population could be an ancient human species called Homo antecessor, which lived in Europe around one million years ago. “They could be the stem group before the split between Neanderthals and modern humans,” Prof. Arsuaga said.
    http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/neanderthal-faces-emerge-from-gloom-of-spanish-cave/article6132901.ece

huesos-tree-1.jpg

That's based purley on mtDNA. The sample from Spain (400k old) is probably Homo heidelbergensis

Modern human had a recent Neanderthal relative.

See here

Another aspect I've wondered about and it doesn't seem to come up at all, is do any late Neandertal samples show modern human sequences? Was the gene flow all one way? I'd be very surprised if it was. Though generally speaking in such societies it's usually the women who move from group to group. So AMA woman moves in with Neandertals and Neandertal women move in with the AMA's. I recall reading that the flow seems to have been from their men to our women, maybe our guys to their gals didn't produce(or rarely) viable young? It seems that while we clearly could have kids together we were sufficiently distant that such pairings caused viability issues in successive generations.

Regardless more and more my previous contention that these weren't rare and isolated events is looking likely. I'd bet it was happening pretty often, but the dilution of their legacy has sped up(maybe since agriculture kicked off). If you go back to relatively recent ancient DNA in the three odd thousand year old Otzi the iceman he has much higher Neandertal admixture than people related to him living today, or anyone else. 6-7% IIRC. Ye he was "only" 3000 years closer to the event(s), an event that going on current knowledge would have been over at the latest by 20,000 years ago. This latest 40,000 year old dude had nearer 9% and more importantly whole chunks of intact Neandertal sequences. Again it'll be interesting to see if any late Neandertals show up with our gene's in them. After all the hook up that shows up in 40,000 year guy's genes would have resulted in the first generation of kids being more 50/50 percentage wise. OK genes don't work that precisely at all, you could have one kid with one kid with 80% and another with 10% of either parent, but still, if one of those kids were sequenced they could look like a Neandertal with lots of AMA genes.

The social aspect would be fascinating with these "mixed marriages". How were they regarded, how were the kids regarded? Where they integrated, or where these couplings the result of outcasts from both groups hooking up? Sadly that's something we'll likely never get even a sniff of.

I could be wrong but I recall a discussion at some stage which proposed that Male Neanderthal/Female Homo Sapien cross could have potential issues due to Neanderthal skull shape versus Homo Sapien hip structure. Of course any hybrid would be intermediate in form between both parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Trust me on this one - you only have to walk down the high street in our local town to see the results of this cross-breeding at first eye.

The Neanderthaler hasn't gone away, he, AND she, are still very much with us.

tac

Neandertals and anatomically modern humans overlapped geographically for a period of over 30,000 years following human migration out of Africa. During this period, Neandertals and humans interbred, as evidenced by Neandertal portions of the genome carried by non-African individuals today. A key observation is that the proportion of Neandertal ancestry is ∼12% higher in East Asian individuals relative to European individuals.

Full text (pdf) here;
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/08/30/343087.full.pdf

• Advertisement

East Asians also show Denisovan genes and again at high enough percentages(IIRC some populations show up to 10%). Which along with other research seems to show that the older idea that we only got it on on occasion and rarely is not the full story and it looks more likely that there were quite the few hanky panky events going on throughout Eurasia. Which makes much more sense. Humans of any sort were rare in the landscape back then, mating choices would be limited enough. Paleo folks of all types show quite narrow genetics and even physical evidence in the bones of genetic defects higher than normal for today and later populations.

*aside* those Andaman islanders who killed the American that were in the news last week. One bit I noted in one report was that Andaman islander genetics showed no Denisovan ancestry, though their genetics weren't "African", but more related to the Asians more locally to them. I can't find any data on Neandertal admixture. Now if they don't show Denisovan and they colonised the islands between 15-20,000 years ago(not 60,000 as most outlets report) what's going on there? Where they part of a group that stayed along the coasts, never went inland and met Denisovans, while those they left behind went inland and did and that's why they have their genes? Or is it possible Denisovans might have been around after 20,000 years ago and the Andaman folks were out of the mix by then? Might explain the higher levels of Denisovan genes in modern Asian populations. They are closer to the admixture event.

It also brings up musings like though Andaman folks look far more African than Asian today, that maybe back then Asians looked more like Africans and the phenotype we think of when we think of Asians is a more "recent" thing? After all going on current genetic clocks and research, blond hair in modern Europeans is only around about 15,000 years and blue eyes isn't that much older(Some Neandertals appear to have had pale eyes and light, even red hair, but they're different genes to ours)

Advertisement