Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the world ending?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The economy might be a bit ****ed but i doubt that would end the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Celia Obnoxious Income

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah but with the rise of India comes the creation of new markets. It isn't a zero sum game where there's only so much trade to go around. Other countries growing stronger is a good thing for us, though might not seem that way initially. The rise of China brought a new market for Irish dairy products, which are high quality goods with a good international brand, if you want a local easy to grasp example. Our competitors are also our export markets generally, more export markets means more jobs to be had making stuff to export to them etc.

Eh have you really take a serious look at the country's economy? It has serious, serious problems and has a lot of sort out domestically before it'll be able to catch up to China, never mind Western Europe. Per capita GDP there, while it has grown strongly is still less than a tenth of ours.
    Ah yeah, it is full of problems, but what country doesnt have problems? but a population in the region of 1.1 billion means its best to focus on perhaps the top fifth of the economy as theres many faces to modern India, it'd be interesting to have a look at the economic indicators of the top fifth of the Indian economy, then we can start arguing.

If they to match the levels of the educated workforce we have disposable to the IT sector, then what is stopping the MNC's re-locating? There is nothing to keep them here, I heard a person mentioning lowering corporation tax on the late late show tonight - but wont that draw us into conflict with the good ole EU?

Although the way India is it provides a gigantic internal market which you could say (you speaking of the new markets) would push the MNCs towards keeping their commercial activity within the country itself and stay here in Ireland to keep to Europe. Yet that didnt happen in the industries that previously bided their time on Irish shoresAlthough I cant see this happening as ive gotten a few calls on the home phones from call cantres located in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Thankfully there's no Morocco (close european base) to take up the reigns in the IT industry, but then again, Geography is a small factor in the globalised world.

A question for you - Personally I feel India will have the ability to satisfy most of its domestic markets. Do you feel the likes of Ireland has much to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ah yeah, it is full of problems, but what country doesnt have problems? but a population in the region of 1.1 billion means its best to focus on perhaps the top fifth of the economy as theres many faces to modern India, it'd be interesting to have a look at the economic indicators of the top fifth of the Indian economy, then we can start arguing.

The problems are regulation and an enormous bureaucracy that strangles private enterprise, IT is very much the exception in the country. It's not the 20+% poverty rate that's really holding India back it's its well entrenched public servants. If you think we have problems with ours you'll be shocked to read what goes on there.

A question for you - Personally I feel India will have the ability to satisfy most of its domestic markets. Do you feel the likes of Ireland has much to offer?

We're a very small country, we just need a tiny portion of that big 1 billion person market to do well (i.e. even if India could provide for 90% of its domestic needs (which would be a lot) there'd be a really big market for us to export to in relative size terms. We also only need a tiny slice of the MNC pie to do very well from it. I think, that we'll need to adapt a lot and find and maintain a niche from what to grow exports (like we have with our dairy industry though it can never be anything other than a minor employer for us). India also doesn't at the moment hugely threaten our main export chemicals/pharmaceuticals. Pharmaceutical industries can't build manufacturing plants in these countries because of the weak intellectual property rights there. Here they not only have a well educated English speaking workforce but a legal system that gives their intellectual property excellent protection from theft which in some industries is hugely important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement