Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

You would have to use the video in on your graphics card, I think. I'm in the same boat with my NTL Digital. As far as I know its still possible but a bit trickier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

40coats wrote:

WOOHOO no more guide bodgery
    You would have to use the video in on your graphics card, I think. I'm in the same boat with my NTL Digital. As far as I know its still possible but a bit trickier.
    Im pretty sure you would have to use the Video-In on the TV card - not the video card.

WOOHOO no more guide bodgery

Im pretty sure you would have to use the Video-In on the TV card - not the video card.

Eh ya id take his word for it!! Ill go back into my box!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

thanks lads any pictures of the cases you usingand were u got them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

0,1311,sz=1&i=42504,00.jpg

Purchased from IT Direct on Parliament St, Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This thread should rellay be stickified, its full of very hand links and info. Ill be referenceing it a bit when I have some cash to spare...

This is the case I have chosen along with the other parts what do you guys think? All comments welcome

Going to be using Windows Media Centre 2005

Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150MCE OEM w/o Remote (Compatible Window XP

Media Centre O/S ONLY)

Microsoft Windows Media Center HARDWARE Kit (Remote/Receiver) OEM

SilverStone "LASCALA" LC04S-A (Silver) Aluminum Desktop case

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum - nForce 2, ATX, DDDR400, Gbit Lan, USB 2.0, 1394, 6Ch Audio, SATA, Raid

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 3200+ *400 FSB* Barton (2.20GHz) with AMD Heat Sink Fan 3Yr

2X 512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Dane-Elec/Elixir) Retail

200Gb Western Digital WD2000JD Caviar SE (7200rpm,8MB) - SATA
    3XS Meridian Hard Disk Cooler Aluminum

NEC ND-3520A Silver x 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer DVD-Writer, OEM UK
    Nvidia 256MB XFX GeForce FX5500 AGP 8x DDR TV+DVI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

TCP/IP wrote:

2X 512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Dane-Elec/Elixir) Retail

Had a bad experience with elixer memory, basically it had errors on it in memtest though i bought it brand new. Dont know wether it was a problem with the manufacturer or reseller??

Yeah i would prefer Dane-Elec used it before and no probs

Have a look at these cases before you buy yours, I wish I had :(

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/htpc.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

TCP/IP wrote:
    i am going to build a media centre PC over the coming days. I use Sky Digital as my main tv source and it only has two scart outputs on it, what way can i connect it to the media centre. Has anybody else out there set it up using Sky Digital

Thanks,
    TCP/IP
    Yuo'll be able to get a scart to composite connection anywhere and this will then go into your tv card. Just make sure it's the right direction, scart to composite not the other way round. Better would be scart to svideo but will be tougher to find I'd imagine.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910&TabID=1&source=14&doy=7m3

cheers for the replys with Sky digital is it easy to get the EPG working on MCE2005.

PS changed the mind on the case here is the new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 slayer92

TCP/IP,
    Could you post a diagram showing the connections between your components ie, HTPC, skybox and tv/plasma. Will you able to distribute AV around the house with this setup
    Thanks very much

Slayer92

when i get it all done I will post my expereinces with u all

TCP/IP wrote:
    when i get it all done I will post my expereinces with u all

You better!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

40coats wrote:
    Yuo'll be able to get a scart to composite connection anywhere and this will then go into your tv card. Just make sure it's the right direction, scart to composite not the other way round. Better would be scart to svideo but will be tougher to find I'd imagine.

Many places do a SCART-S-Video/Phono converter with and INPUT/OUTPUT switch on it, so you could use the same type to convert the input from the Sky box, and the output from the video card back to the TV. €9.99 from Peats.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I've been running this for about a week now, with some success. I was able to get all the channels from my NTL analogue service, and most of the channels show up in the native guide, without all the XML malarky.

I do have two problems, though. The reception on a couple of channels is not great, but they're fine on the TV directly connected to the aerial. Is there any way to fine-tune the channels? MCE has also lost my channel settings completely a couple of times. Is this normal, and if so, is there any way to save and restore channel information without going through the re-scan?

Thanks,

Dec

does anybody have settings to get XMLTV working for Irish Sky Digital

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mickot

TCP/IP
    Here are 2 files to configure your XMLTV for Irish channels.
    1. First you should download the XMLTV package for whatever OS you are using.
    2. unzip the files in the attached zip file
    3. Put the channel_ids file into \share\xmltv\tv_grab_uk_rt directory. This file has the channels defined as well as I can for the radio times grabber. I have added some missing channels and taken out those that are no longer on the site.
    4. Put the tv_grab_uk_rt.conf file into your .xmltv directory. I have only put the channels for NTL analogue dublin service in here, but use notepad(or whatever text editor you use) and using the same syntax enter whatever other channels you want in here, using the channel identifier as the first bit in the channel_ids file - the bit before the first ":" - (you can open channel_ids in notepad as well). For example to add British Eurosport 2 put "channel 2.british.eurosport.com" into this file.
    5. Then run "xmltv tv_grab_uk_rt --output listing.xml " to get your listings. It seems to ignore any settings for the --days parameter by the way. You then get a file called Listing.xml with your progs in.

I know you will have to a bit of copy and paste to get all the Sky listings in - but maybe you can share that back with us when you do :-)

BTW You can't run any of the config utilities to get the channels into tv_grab_uk_rt.conf - you have to use Visual N++ (Notepad) or similar,

Hope this helps -micko

just set up the PC. Not to sure yet on the picture quality coming from Media Centre 2005 into my plasma, I have connected it via the VGA cable into the plasma would it be better though SVideo or any other connection. Looks like it is going to be a lot of work to get the Sky EPG working but i will keep u all updated. Any advice on picture quality would be appricated.

• Advertisement

Here is a post i put up on AV Forums if it gives more info

Hi Everybody,

I have put togehter a new HTPC

3200XP Processor
    MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard
    Nvidia 5700 256mb AGP Card
    300gig sata Drive
    SilverstoneTEC Case
    MCE2005
    MCE2005 remote
    1 gig DDR Ram
    Happauge 150 TV Tuner
    Wireless Network Card
    Panasonic PW5 Plasma

The problems I have are:

1) I have an optical out connected from the motherboard into the AMP but I am not getting Dolby Digital or DTS coming through

2) I have stereo cables running from my Sky digibox into my amp and the sync of the audio is way off when I watch Sky trough the live section of the HTPC - would i be better plugging the audio into the TV tuner card to stop this.

3) The biggest problem is the picture quality from Sky Digital when watched through MCE2005 its really not great. I have the Sky Digi box out putting RGB scart via a IOS cable into a RGB to SVIDEO converter and then have an svideo cable plugged into the TV tuner. I am then using the VGA connection on my plasma from the VGA card to plug in the screen. The quality is fine when using the Media Centre it is just Sky i am having major problems with. Also what is the best way of connecting up for PIC quality, is VGA good can I get component to work or would svideo be better.

4) What is the best resolution to have my PC set to for MCE2005 and my PW5 plasma.

5) When Sky HD comes along how will I be able to connect it up for HD ( yes i know I will need a new plasma)

6) As i live in Ireland there is no EPG yet for the Republic has anybody got around this by using XMLTV if so can you help me out.

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get this working before the misus kills me. I dont mind if I have to buy parts just tell me what I need within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

I'm thinking of building a htpc as well, however I share a house with 3 other people and would like to use an AV sender to send the tv signal to a pc in my bedroom. Will this setup be ok or will I have problems with picture quality when viewing it on a PC monitor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The sender may make **** of any wireless network you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Graham wrote:
    Have a look at these cases before you buy yours, I wish I had :(

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/htpc.php
    I have the accent 400 case - whilst its looks great on the outside the lack of thought and consideration given to the inside dont reflect the high price of the case. A good normal case like an Antec is much better thought out on the inside.

If you're knowledgeable about TV/broadcasting/EPG/Sat/Cable in Ireland you should signup to participate in the Media Centre Edition BETA. Go to http://www.thegreenbutton.com/ and sign up ;-)

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commu...MessageID=87742

Hi 40coats,

Link does not work to the beta programe can u repost it

Cheers
    TCP/IP

Sorry about that, below is taken from the post on TGB:

To get the process rolling can you set up an account in BetaPlace and register your details. Details on how to complete this process are below.

To RSVP and become a candidate for this beta program, go to http://beta.microsoft.com and sign in using a Passport account and the Guest ID below.

If you are new to BetaPlace, you will be asked for a beta ID or Guest ID after logging in with Passport. Please log in using the Guest ID below.

If you are a current Microsoft beta tester, you will be taken to your personalized Microsoft beta web site after logging in with Passport. On your personalised site, click on the link Sign in as a Guest in the upper right side of the page.

When you are prompted for a Guest ID enter the following:

Guest ID: MS_BetaApp

Please note, if you are currently an active tester on other Microsoft beta programs, you still need to go to the site and RSVP by filling out the entire survey to be considered for this new beta program.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭riccol1966

TCP/IP wrote:
    Here is a post i put up on AV Forums if it gives more info

Hi Everybody,

I have put togehter a new HTPC

3200XP Processor
    MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard
    Nvidia 5700 256mb AGP Card
    300gig sata Drive
    SilverstoneTEC Case
    MCE2005
    MCE2005 remote
    1 gig DDR Ram
    Happauge 150 TV Tuner
    Wireless Network Card
    Panasonic PW5 Plasma

The problems I have are:

1) I have an optical out connected from the motherboard into the AMP but I am not getting Dolby Digital or DTS coming through

2) I have stereo cables running from my Sky digibox into my amp and the sync of the audio is way off when I watch Sky trough the live section of the HTPC - would i be better plugging the audio into the TV tuner card to stop this.

3) The biggest problem is the picture quality from Sky Digital when watched through MCE2005 its really not great. I have the Sky Digi box out putting RGB scart via a IOS cable into a RGB to SVIDEO converter and then have an svideo cable plugged into the TV tuner. I am then using the VGA connection on my plasma from the VGA card to plug in the screen. The quality is fine when using the Media Centre it is just Sky i am having major problems with. Also what is the best way of connecting up for PIC quality, is VGA good can I get component to work or would svideo be better.

4) What is the best resolution to have my PC set to for MCE2005 and my PW5 plasma.

5) When Sky HD comes along how will I be able to connect it up for HD ( yes i know I will need a new plasma)

6) As i live in Ireland there is no EPG yet for the Republic has anybody got around this by using XMLTV if so can you help me out.

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get this working before the misus kills me. I dont mind if I have to buy parts just tell me what I need within reason

Hi, might be able to help with some of your questions:

2) you could try a SCART to svideo & audio (3 cables in total) and then feed the 2 audio's into the MCE tuner card, possibly curing the sync problem, rather than running separate audio again from the skybox?

3 + 4) MCE has some TV picture optimiser settings in the menus- have you tried these? I thought SVGA would give optimal quality if the plasma/lcd can cope, otherwise its DVI/HDMI, followed by component, followed be svideo, follwed by scart.

5) main issue will be taking the HMDI output from the skd hd box, removing copy protection and inputting to a DVI or RGB hi-def digital tuner card which will replace the current tuner card. These are already available in external form (e.g http://www.averm.co.uk) but may not have optimul inputs yet

6) getting the EPG is messy as you can see from previosu posts - also it sounds like they tend to fail and need constant tweaking. But by the end of 2005 we should have a proper MS certified version.

Richard.

2) Try taking the digibox audio through the MCE then into the amp, that should sort out the audio synch problem.

6) Have to disagree with 6 Richard. Since we got the last xmlTV to EPG converter it's pretty much worked flawlessly although it is slightly more involved in the initial setup that the straight MCE solution (coming this year).

See this link for the latest EPG hack Quickguide

One thing I would reccommend riccol 1966, get an extra 80GB SATA HD for your Media Centre. Means the O/S isn't competing with the Video streaming for the drive. After spending as much as you have, the extra €80 isn't going to increase your budget much.

Oh and if your TV has a DVI in, get a graphics card with DVI out. I've not got that working yet on media centre (I think it's my graphics card) but on my main PC, switching from VGA to DVI is like taking out the frosted glass from the front of the monitor.

After 6 months of Media Centre, I couldn't ever imagine watching TV without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TCP/IP wrote:

I am running Media Portal (I know, I'm cheap) and I was having picture problems with Sky digital.

What I did to fix it was turn down the contrast on the Sky box itself. Go into System Setup->picture settings and set the contrast to low. I also had to set the sound volume on the Sky box to a few notches lower too as the sound was coming through at full volume and was a little distorted.

As for VGA vs. S-video - I found with my projector that the VGA cable gives a hell of a better picture.

Advertisement