Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac Mini 1.4 Base Model

Options
  • 29-08-2015 10:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Have used Mac and Windows for a while, i needed a new PC, not to impressed by windows 10 so went for the base Mac Mini, read all the negative reviews and all i can say is they are nonsense!
    The bad reviews are from people who expect cutting edge performance from a E500 PC, they need to cop on, the Mac Mini does everything a average user would ever need, all the web apps you use perform perfectly, video download/playback are perfect.
    The base model Mac Mini is perfect for every day use, don't mind the nay sayers.
    OSX is much more user friendly than Windows 10, it sounds like a sales pitch , but OS X is much easer to use than windows,so don't hesitate to buy the base model it works perfectly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

About the only thing I would change on it would be the hard drive and upgrade to a SSD. After using SSD drives for the past 6 or 7 years I find mechanical drives incredibly slow and frustating
    I have it at home for media stream and I use the mouse pro app on my iPhone to control it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have used Mac and Windows for a while, i needed a new PC, not to impressed by windows 10 so went for the base Mac Mini, read all the negative reviews and all i can say is they are nonsense!
    The bad reviews are from people who expect cutting edge performance from a E500 PC, they need to cop on, the Mac Mini does everything a average user would ever need, all the web apps you use perform perfectly, video download/playback are perfect.
    The base model Mac Mini is perfect for every day use, don't mind the nay sayers.
    OSX is much more user friendly than Windows 10, it sounds like a sales pitch , but OS X is much easer to use than windows,so don't hesitate to buy the base model it works perfectly.

I thought Tim Cook was banned from shilling on Boards???:):):)

I have one myself, and its a great little desktop machine. I think its my third or 4th one since they were launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Still using a 2011 Mac Mini under the TV for media duties. Mind you it has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD accompanying the HDD. Still has plenty of life left in it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Facts are it more powerful than most of the MacBooks/Laptops people own and sing praises about, its a cracking little machine that will do everything the average user will ever need.
    It run completely silent, which makes a difference from the windows/hoover PC's you are used to.
    A far as i know apple give a 1 month return window if you are not happy with your purchase, give one a go and you will be very happy, honestly its all the computer you will need, and OSX will take about a week to get hang of and then there will be no looking back to windows.
    (I do not work for apple, or in a shop that sells apple products, i have no connection to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Senecio wrote: »
    Still using a 2011 Mac Mini under the TV for media duties. Mind you it has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD accompanying the HDD. Still has plenty of life left in it yet.

I've a 2008 Mac Mini under the TV doing the same thing, 7 years and no issues. All I've done is replace the drive with an SSD. Super piece of kit that has never given a single problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Facts are it more powerful than most of the MacBooks/Laptops people own and sing praises about, its a cracking little machine that will do everything the average user will ever need.
    It run completely silent, which makes a difference from the windows/hoover PC's you are used to.
    A far as i know apple give a 1 month return window if you are not happy with your purchase, give one a go and you will be very happy, honestly its all the computer you will need, and OSX will take about a week to get hang of and then there will be no looking back to windows.
    (I do not work for apple, or in a shop that sells apple products, i have no connection to them)

Its 14 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its 14 days.

Plenty of time to see if it does everything you require.

Advertisement