Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan Public Beta

Options
  • 09-07-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Just released earlier today. Have it downloading at the moment, I was previously enrolled in the Yosemite Beta program but had to re-enroll for this. Redirected to the Mac AppStore with a redemption code, then download started. Simple and easy way to download it this time.

Anybody got it installed yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ive downloaded it but waiting for a backup to complete before installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seems ok so far, had a Finder bug where the screen has some type of UI glitch but I've a NAS connected to the Mac that could be causing it. Might not show for everybody. Also the click stopped working on my mouse yesterday, had to turn it off and on again to fix the problem.

Haven't tested it too much though but no major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Anybody finding a problem with volume control? The keys (F10-F12) aren't doing what they should. 10 does nothing and 11 and 12 do Mission Control stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jakdublin wrote: »
    Anybody finding a problem with volume control? The keys (F10-F12) aren't doing what they should. 10 does nothing and 11 and 12 do Mission Control stuff.

Is "Use F-keys as standard functions keys" disabled in Preferences > Keyboard?

Is "Use F-keys as standard functions keys" disabled in Preferences > Keyboard?

No, but I've had a look and the keys are assigned to Mission Control functions. When I uncheck them, the keys don't do anything. Not a huge problem really, but I'd like to be able to control the sound with keys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably a bug. Report it.

Probably a bug. Report it.

Yep, I did that. I also reported that Microsoft Outlook is crashing. That seems to be a common problem.

Other issues I've found that I haven't reported yet as I'm not sure if they're related to iCloud or El Capitan include Notes synchronisation. Seems to be very hit and miss.
    Also, handoff on phone calls doesn't seem to be working, but that's always been hit and miss for me.

The beta 2 is out now. Going to install it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Finding the latest beta more buggy than the last. Lots of random stuff. Copy and paste ability comes and goes, Preview is a mess, Quick View not working, icons blanked out in sidebar. Hope the next one is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Gm has dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

With public launch date of 30 September!

Been running the GM on my primary Mac since yesterday. Very smooth, no issues to report. Not that I was having any issues with Yosemite.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Gm has dropped.

Not for me. I'm still on version six. Did you get it from the app store?

jakdublin wrote: »
    Not for me. I'm still on version six. Did you get it from the app store?

Check out the purchased tab on the Mac App Store. It's not in the normal update tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

so who will be installing El Capitan tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

redman85 wrote: »
    so who will be installing El Capitan tonight?

Me....can't wait to get rid of that Helvetica font.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Available on MAS now

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

miralize wrote: »
    Available on MAS now

Weighs in at 6.08 GB

Thought the servers would be hammered but its flying down for me, 1.5GB in 4 mins

Most people who really wanted probably already got the GM via the public beta programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Interesting. Reading the Ars review of El Cap, it seems Apple has made some significant changes to root level permissions and privileges in OS X.

Essentially, Apple has introduced a thing called System Integrity Protection (SIP). This effectively removes the ability of root level privileges to have complete control over the computer. As Ars put it:
    SIP places kernel-level checks on root’s privilege that can (in theory, at least, until proven otherwise by an intrepid security researcher) only be bypassed by the kernel itself. Rather than adding yet another superuser account, SIP provides the concept of an additional file system and process flag, and file system objects and in-memory processes so flagged cannot be altered by processes not signed with Apple’s own code signing key.

There’s more, too—the file system protections are only the start. SIP consists of four major features:

Protected locations cannot be written to by root (including /System, /Bin, /usr, /sbin).
    Protected system processes cannot be attached to with a debugger and cannot be subject to code injection.
    All kernel extensions must now be signed (and old methods for disabling kernel extension signing are gone).
    SIP cannot be disabled from within the operating system, only from the OS X Recovery partition.

Effectively Apple are taking over responsibility for deep, root level control of the OS. Even the sudo command will not allow writes to those locations.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It can be disabled from the recovery partition, but most people won't even notice. One to keep in mind, for the power users.

EDIT: If you've ever installed any unsigned KEXTs these will also fail to work under El Cap - until signed by a valid Apple developer ID.

Anybody having issues with the iTunes/App stores? Don't think it's related to the beta OS, but the iTunes store layout on El Capitan is messed around and unusable. Mac App Store and both my iOS devices are fine. Been like that a few days now with no fix, haven't read anything about problems either. Just wondering whether it's related to the betas, just installed the latest one and still the same. iTunes is updated to the latest version as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There was an App Store issue a few days that might be still lingering on your machine. Tried a restart/DNS flush, etc?

Zcott wrote: »
    There was an App Store issue a few days that might be still lingering on your machine. Tried a restart/DNS flush, etc?

Yeah I first thought it was related to that but it's still the same. I'll look up what a DNS flush is first and then give it a try :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I spotted the same issue with the iTunes store a few days ago and it's still like that for me.

Advertisement