Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you have a "twitter" account

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Sorry, OldGoat, I still not quite sure. Do the hashtags act like an internet address line which uses the forward slash? As in:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love twitter and use it every day.

And I dont use facebook at all.

Twitter is completely different, its an information source not a keep-in-touch-with-friends facebook type social thing.

At least the way I use it.

Sorry, OldGoat, I still not quite sure. Do the hashtags act like an internet address line which uses the forward slash? As in:

No.

If you want to search on "Dublin Weather" for instance you can search on "Dublin Weather" but you'll get every post that has those two words and not necessarily the weather conditions in Dublin.

So you type #DublinWeather and you'll most likely (not guaranteed!) get a more accurate result.

Its not essential to use the hashtags at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't use my Facebook page for communicating or sharing photos, and it is set to 'private'. But I have 'liked' a few sites that I want to get updates from and that suits me well enough. I have to say even after OG's explanation I'm still not sold on Twitter. It sounds like information overload and I'm overloaded enough at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Ditti for me, Jellybaby1. I,m not even convinced to give it a try.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    It sounds like information overload and I'm overloaded enough at present.

I understand. I think new tech can be intimidating because one doesnt know how to use it. It can seem like overload.

Its a bit like looking at row of encyclopedias and saying its info overload. But once you pick a topic to research then suddenly its not so overwhelming anymore.

An example of my use of twitter is having it open on my tablet as I watch football matches. The hastag means I only get relevant comments on the match I'm watching and I can make comments and ask questions as the game is going on.

Much like following a thread on Boards.

Advertisement