Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quest bars

• 19-02-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey guys hoping someone can help, looking for info on quest bars. I'm addicted (like half the country) but how good / bad are they for you? I know everything in moderation but does the 20g protein count towards your overall protein? Are they ok to take even though you are not lifting weights? I am a runner though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Yes, the 20g counts towards your overall intake (not sure why it wouldn't tbh).

They've got a great nutritional breakdown, I'd consider that "good for you".

Eating protein is always a good idea. Weight training or not.

They're not heroin or anything, so fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are ok, not very good for you really, better then a mars bar not as good as a vegetable or any other real food. So in moderation they are fine,can be better then alternatives but not something you should be eating all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 obrowsing

Yeah basically everything in moderation. One thing I found though if you're tracking what you eat you can't just substitute the fiber and say you're only eating 3 carbs or whatever it is ; it's 20 carbs in total. So be careful how many you eat a day. Saying ' ah it's grand I'll have 3 bars sure they're very low carb!' ..Nope, that's 60grams of carbs .Easy to get addicted ! Overall though they've great ingredients and low sugar . I love them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I happened to have a quest bar today for the first time, peanut butter flavor. Tbh I was quite surprised of the nutritional content, I'd usually stay well clear of protein bars for obvious reasons.

Its still processed rubbish in reality though ,but I'd agree, one every now and again wouldnt be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,997 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

obrowsing wrote: »
    One thing I found though if you're tracking what you eat you can't just substitute the fiber and say you're only eating 3 carbs or whatever it is ; it's 20 carbs in total.
    That's not correct.
    They aren't 20g carbs, you are getting mixed up with the american labeling.

American nutritional labels group fiber under carbohydrates. And they use the idea of net carbs when discounting fibre.

Everyone else includes fibre as a separate item. If quest bars had an irish/uk/euro nutrition panel it would say something like

Carbs 3g
    :Sugars 1g
    Protein 21g
    Fibre 17g

You could argue that the 1g alcohol makes carbs 4g, it that's minor. Carbs aren't 20g though.
    If you were eating 3 bars a day, I'd be more concerned about 50+g of fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Has anyone found a source that's not 1) 3 euro a bar and 2) that includes the peanut flavours? They look tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I found these too sweet.

Handy for snacks but not my cuppa.

Got 2 boxes (24 bars) for 50. Think it was on discountsupplements.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

uberalex wrote: »
    Has anyone found a source that's not 1) 3 euro a bar and 2) that includes the peanut flavours? They look tempting.

Most Topaz garages I've been in have had the choc peanut flavour and come in at €2.50 iirc. The likes of Bodyfirst Nutrition and Fitness Ireland usually have most flavours in stock and a box of 12 works out ~ €2.30 per bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

iherb sell them but expext to pay costumes charges. Should come to aroun E23 per box incl. delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

CWF wrote: »
    iherb sell them but expext to pay costumes charges. Should come to aroun E23 per box incl. delivery.

Really, thats the cheapest Ive ever seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

They're handy if you haven't hit your protein for the day and don't feel like making food or a shake, I wouldn't get in the habit of eating them too often myself just because I prefer getting all my cals from full meals, even if that's a McDonald's or BK, just because eating's great, especially when bulking

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Make your own for half the price :)

Thats what I do...

If you go to http://cifitness.org/2014/09/16/oreo-cookies-cream-quest-style-protein-bars/ there is a recipe there for them.

Advertisement