Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I love this:

http://www.woolandthegang.com/shop/products/cross-my-heart-wrap?variant_options=1-162&utm_source=Wool+and+the+Gang&utm_campaign=aff0bdb3ec-Cross_My_Heart_Wrap8_15_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab2a39b40c-aff0bdb3ec-

But could never afford the kit, anyone know of any similar patterns or have any idea how its made. Looks to me like a really hoop of knitting attached at the back and it is pulled over you head like a sleeveless sweater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

this wrap is my to do list. We were visiting Blarney Woolen Mills last weekend and I saw similar one in their shop - it looked very good and shouldn't be too difficult to make.
    http://www.blarney.com/irish-shop/ladies-aran-cable-wrap-in-wool-cashmere/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think Ravelry might be the place to go for a pattern. I'm nearly sure I saw something similar.

I'm here trying to do a mock up with a scarf and a 2 year old, it looks so easy but I can't get it to sit properly.

Can you cast off with a larger needle?

• Advertisement

I haven't even cast on! I used a large scarf and pins to see if I could mimic the design.

I have a project on the go at the moment so it would be for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I have a pattern for something similar, wont have access to it til after the weekend but I will have a look if anyone wants? I think it was knit in two sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Looks like smaller, snood version I knit a year or two ago. I just knit it as a basic scarf and then sewed the two ends together but turned one end over (back-to-front, as it were) so the right-hand corner of one is stitched the left-hand corner of the other, if that makes sense? It's the twist that makes it sit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just a little question ... the last mention of knitting needles and airport security/planes on this thread goes back more than a year.
    Does anyone know whether Dublin Airport/RyanAir (Dublin-Beauvais) allow knitting needles now?
    I'd love to travel with them :)
    Thank you.
    V

Thank you to the people who responded :)

Just a little note to follow up on my question ...

Dublin Airport responded to my email that knitting needles were allowed through security and I didn't experience any problem/question going through.
    Beauvais didn't reply to my email - I rang them and the person on the phone told me that, in theory, they are not allowed. He said the rules are normally the same everywhere ... so ... I took a chance (with a copy of the Dublin Airport email in my pocket in case of the need for negotiations ... ) and the Beauvais security let me through too without asking any questions ... :)

Too glad I was able to progress my work during my break AND didn't have to get my work off its needles :D

9ff544da-2d81-48fc-b7cf-40b564d9cade.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 barby_

ValerieR wrote: »
    Just a little question ... the last mention of knitting needles and airport security/planes on this thread goes back more than a year.
    Does anyone know whether Dublin Airport/RyanAir (Dublin-Beauvais) allow knitting needles now?
    I'd love to travel with them :)
    Thank you.
    V

Hi,
    Just talking from my experience here. We went to Mexico at the beginning of 2012. No problems bringing my needles through Dublin airport security as well as Gatwick airport.
    On our way back from Mexico though, the Mexican security confiscated my needles :(:(:( Thankfully I was knitting in the round so I just had to remove the points from the cable otherwise I am not sure how I would have handled it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 barby_

I have a question for you all. I want to buy some cheap yarn (acrylic or something) to make toys. Is there a favourite online shop you buy your yarn from? Even from the USA will be fine with me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robin yarn is great for toys and it comes in so many colours.

Last time I bought some I just searched eBay and looked at seller feedback ratings. Can't remember which shop I went with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I bought some of the baby wool in the Dealz shops, very cheap. Has anyone knitted anything with it? Just wondering what its like to wash?

It's very hard when washed and will bobble like mad. Personally, I'd keep the Dealz stuff for toys and soft furnishings. I wouldn't make anything to wear with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. Well I'm not an experienced knitter, so it will do for practice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I used the dealz yarn for christmas decorations and its great stuff for accessories and stuff like that. I'm picky about what to use for clothes and tend to pay for better quality for cardys and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Hello all. I want to try knitting a classic aran jumper using a non itchy (!) wool. I was thinking of using something like Merino. Could anyone advise on whether this might work and point me in the direction of the right blend or weight of yarn?.....Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hey any one got a good tip for loose cast on? every time I knit my cast on is tight and the cast off loose? I've tried a few methods but so far its all been too tight

aknitter wrote: »
    Hey any one got a good tip for loose cast on? every time I knit my cast on is tight and the cast off loose? I've tried a few methods but so far its all been too tight

Try the "cable cast on" method, I find the outcome is perfect for knitting on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQEpMLxHUo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cindyR

Are there any ladies out there knitting to order by machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

depends on the order ;) if something not too complicated, like this christening blanket I made a couple months ago:
    Blanket-babySublimemerino2_zps91ecc4f6.jpg

Hello fellow knitters

It might be a long shot but I thought I'd ask ....:)

I am in the middle of a project (cardigan) with the "Panda" knitting yarn which was sold in Lidl on the 29th of July this year.

I fear I might run out before I'm finished. Of course, I could make it with short sleeves but ....

What I am hoping is: would anyone have a ball or two (or the whole pack at hand) that they are not using?

"Panda" Knitting Yarn, Colour : White, Batch number : 4305

Thank you :)

Valerie

I didn't mean to kill the conversation with my previous post ! LOL

However, if anyone did have one or two balls of the wool mentioned above (post #563), I would be eternally grateful !!! :)

Thank you for reading.
    V

Have you called Lidl direct? They might have some still knocking around in a warehouse somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion ABajaninCork. I did contact Lidl ... but no go :(
    I also sent an email directly to the actual manufacturer in Germany and haven't received a reply from them ... yet ...
    I have posted in another few discussion fora but no luck so far.
    But, as we say in France, as long as there's life, there's hope - I won't undo it just yet ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

I've got 6 months to go till my wedding and I've decided I'm going to try my hand at making a bridal bolero, this will be the first clothing item I will of made, do lots of toys blankets headbands ect
    I'm thinking of going for the Kate Middleton style one but not sure if I really like the fluffiness of the angora, can anyone point me in the direction of a nice wool for this project, thanks!

I've got 6 months to go till my wedding and I've decided I'm going to try my hand at making a bridal bolero, this will be the first clothing item I will of made, do lots of toys blankets headbands ect
    I'm thinking of going for the Kate Middleton style one but not sure if I really like the fluffiness of the angora, can anyone point me in the direction of a nice wool for this project, thanks!

Nice one for a spring wedding - you'd want something to keep you warm at this time of the year.
    If you want the style of Kate Middleton's without the angora fluffiness, you'd end up with a bolero in stockinette stitch.
    Of course, it depends on the style of the dress and something simple could be nice, but maybe something lacy be more stylish ?

Definitely want to go with something simpler as that's the overall look I'm going with, is there any other type of yarn that would give maybe the same fluffy effect so it's not so plain but maybe just slightly less fluffy , I've looked at rowan kid silk haze but as I said I've never made clothes before so am worried it would be too hard to work with

Definitely want to go with something simpler as that's the overall look I'm going with, is there any other type of yarn that would give maybe the same fluffy effect so it's not so plain but maybe just slightly less fluffy , I've looked at rowan kid silk haze but as I said I've never made clothes before so am worried it would be too hard to work with

Sorry - I thought you didn't want fluffy at all.
    I can't help you with the type of wool but it shouldn't be difficult to work with (only maybe difficult to undo in the case of a mistake - but someone with more experience in this type of wool might confirm).

Best of luck with the project - I think it's a lovely idea :)

• Advertisement

No my fault I'm a bit unsure if I want the fluffiness but I'm thinkin it might b very plain without it so ill prob go with it, hope it works

Advertisement