Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best show of the decade?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Battlestar Galactica

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Off the top of my head, my top 10 would be:

Sopranos
    The Wire
    Deadwood
    Rescue Me
    Lost
    The Shield
    Arrested Development
    West Wing
    Entourage

It was a toss up between the Sopranos and The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Shows I've enjoyed most (though most, if not all of them have had real dips in quality at various parts)

Peep Show
    Deadwood
    Rome
    Dexter
    Sopranos
    House (more hit and miss for me than the others)
    Battlestar Galactica
    Green Wing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Silly thread, everyone knows it's The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Silly thread, everyone knows it's The Wire.

• Advertisement

Well if the thread was titled "Shows that inspired the most fanboyism of the last decade", the Wire would have it hands down.

What is it with Wire fans and the dismissive "my opinion = fact" attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Well if the thread was titled "Shows that inspired the most fanboyism of the last decade", the Wire would have it hands down.

It's about the only thing that's putting me off watching it really. I really hate hype and for some reason it makes me determined to dislike something.
    I remember I didn't watch the Matrix for years for that reason.

It'll probably be a few years before I get around to watching The Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

The Wire. (more than just TV, but you have to see Season 3)
    Rescue Me.
    The Mighty Boosh.
    The Deadliest Catch.
    Iceroad Truckers.
    Battlestar Galactica.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cashback wrote: »
    It's about the only thing that's putting me off watching it really. I really hate hype and for some reason it makes me determined to dislike something.
    I remember I didn't watch the Matrix for years for that reason.

It'll probably be a few years before I get around to watching The Wire.

Im that way too the vast majority of the time, the "hype" is genuinely, genuinely warranted. It is the best thing I read, watched or heard to be honest. Im not using hyperbole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

+1 for the Wire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Oh don't be a tard. It's only rated so high because it's so good. It's not fanboyism if about 60% of people think it's the best show of the decade. I certainly can't think of anything else that comes close, not even The Sopranos, BoB, Deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

The Wire and FarScape are top two in my book.

Honorable mentions go out to The West Wing, BSG, Dexter, Band of Brothers.

Cina wrote: »
    Oh don't be a tard.

Prime example right there. Take you long to come up with that?
    It's only rated so high because it's so good.

Did I say it wasn't good?
    It's not fanboyism if about 60% of people think it's the best show of the decade.

The fanboyism aspect is the dismissive, intellectually stunted attitude to the idea that anyone might, *gasp*, have a differing opinion. It doesn't reflect on the show, just the people who take that attitude, and I haven't seen such an outpouring of Comic Book Guy "Best show EVAR" style stuff for any other show. (Actually, maybe Battlestar Galactica had a good dose of it from the really rabid fans)
    I certainly can't think of anything else that comes close, not even The Sopranos, BoB, Deadwood.

Oh well, sorry, if *you* can't think of anything that comes close, then I guess nothing does. I liked the Wire, but I've enjoyed other shows a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I hope this thread doesn't get derailed. Let's keep it nice and friendly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

TheManWho wrote: »
    I watched the first season of the wire, I enjoyed it, good show. But that's it, I have yet to run to the shops for season 2, and I don't think I will anytime soon. It's a good tv show, but not nearly as good as it's hype propagates it to be.

I will give show of the decade to Lost, but only because I consider Band of Brothers a miniseries and so not in contention.

+1

I gave The Wire a shot, I really tried to like it but I gave up 2 thirds into season 1. Im told that you've to treat the show "like a book" and look at all 5 seasons to really get it.

Thats nonsense.

If Im bored with a book two thirds in I'll stop reading it too ;)

Show of the decade for me was West Wing closely followed by Lost. Anyone see Channel 4's Top 20 List? Twas shocking.

Iconic TV show of the decade? Love it or hate it it was Big Brother imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Firefly
    Supernatural
    Prison Break
    Burn Notice
    Shameless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

For me - Shameless

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Shameless
    Rescue Me
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Scrubs
    The Savage Eye
    Futurama

I'm sure there's a lot more I just can't think of right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Prime example right there. Take you long to come up with that?

Oh dear...
    Did I say it wasn't good?

Did I insinuate that you did?
    The fanboyism aspect is the dismissive, intellectually stunted attitude to the idea that anyone might, *gasp*, have a differing opinion. It doesn't reflect on the show, just the people who take that attitude, and I haven't seen such an outpouring of Comic Book Guy "Best show EVAR" style stuff for any other show. (Actually, maybe Battlestar Galactica had a good dose of it from the really rabid fans)

I'd actually agree with some of that. Some people do dismiss others opinions unless The Wire is their favorite show as well. Still, there's not many doing that on this thread, and you seem to be getting worked up at just about anyone who picks it as their favorite show. It annoys me that just because The Wire has now become so popular and is widely considered to be the 'greatest show ever' or what not, people are more likely to get annoyed at those who 'jump on the bandwagon.' Should these people watch it and not 'jump on the bandwagon' because there are so many fans already?
    Oh well, sorry, if *you* can't think of anything that comes close, then I guess nothing does. I liked the Wire, but I've enjoyed other shows a lot more.

Erm, I'm giving my opinion, hence why I said 'I think', not 'I know'. You're the one saying that people are claiming it's the best show ever as if it's fact. I'm not doing that and yet you're still at it. I never said that others aren't entitled to pick other shows. I can understand if people enjoy the likes of The Sopranos more, but I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TheManWho wrote: »
    I watched the first season of the wire, I enjoyed it, good show. But that's it, I have yet to run to the shops for season 2, and I don't think I will anytime soon. It's a good tv show, but not nearly as good as it's hype propagates it to be.

I will give show of the decade to Lost, but only because I consider Band of Brothers a miniseries and so not in contention.

Band of Brothers could be considered the best show of the decade it is just a different format than most long running serials. While I would suggest a soap opera really their is no reason not to suggest a soap, my issue with soap is that unless it started this decade it isn't really part of the decade as it resides in other decades to come and past.

The Wire is difficult, however regardless of your feelings for the series it is possible one of the best show ever created. It takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you think. Lost on the other had is easy on the eye and very obvious as the are often afraid they might loss the viewer. But I would still rate Lost as one of the best series this decade.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I gave The Wire a shot, I really tried to like it but I gave up 2 thirds into season 1.

That is a lot of people's reaction to it at that stage of the series only to come to rave about it an episode or so later so much so it is a cliche on places such as boards.ie The Wire forum. In short you are the point were things get good.

I'd actually agree with some of that. Some people do dismiss others opinions unless The Wire is their favorite show as well. Still, there's not many doing that on this thread, and you seem to be getting worked up at just about anyone who picks it as their favorite show. It annoys me that just because The Wire has now become so popular and is widely considered to be the 'greatest show ever' or what not, people are more likely to get annoyed at those who 'jump on the bandwagon.' Should these people watch it and not 'jump on the bandwagon' because there are so many fans already?

I have no problems with anyone picking it as their favourite show - and I never referred to it as jumping on the bandwagon - in fact I'd consider it one of the prime candidates for the title of show of the decade.

It's the "lock this thread/nothing comes close/no one could possibly consider anything to be better/silly thread" stuff that I take issue with. I don't see it half as much with other shows, which may just be a reflection on how popular the Wire is.
    Erm, I'm giving my opinion, hence why I said 'I think', not 'I know'.

Fine, sorry, maybe I picked up on what you said incorrectly; when a post starts on the level of "don't be a tard" I tend not to give it the benefit of the doubt.
    You're the one saying that people are claiming it's the best show ever as if it's fact.

And they are...a quick look through this thread suffices to show that. Granted, some of it may be tongue in cheek, but I don't see it happen to the same extent with other shows.
    I'm not doing that and yet you're still at it.

Look, I don't want to keep dragging this thread down with a line by line nitpic, but : I never said EVERYONE is doing that, or that you're doing it, but there are a significant number doing it, even in this thread. It's something I've noticed on other boards whenever the Wire is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

The Sopranos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does the A-Team count since it's been repeated all decade? :d

I assume my choices won't be even close to those of the majority, but the shows that have had mewaiting anxiously for the next episode are Firefly, Chuck, Burn Notice and Stargate: Universe.

I find that shows like The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos etc, that I had to be in a certain mood for them. The ones I liked I could watch any episode at any time and still love it.

I wish the Sopranos had been, I don't know, more compact or something. A few less seasons and more consistent, then I'd really be happy to nominate it as best show of the decade. As it was though there was a hell of a wobbly season (maybe 4 or 5? Been a while since I watched it) and a lot of filler episodes that it could have done without.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Put it this way. My sister was sick with the flu on alot of drugs to help her recover and I gave her Damages (which is a fine show) she really enjoyed it even if she was half asleep of during most of the episodes but it kept her company. On the other had I handed her the Wire, she kept nodding off and found the whole thing far to complex for someone barely able to walk.

My point being that The Wire is a difficult show, you do have to be "in a mood" to watch it as a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In the last year, I have bought the boxsets of The Wire, The Sopranos, Oz, The Shield and Deadwood.

So far, I have watched 4 seasons of Oz, 3 seasons of The Sopranos, and I'm currently going through all 5 seasons of The Wire for the 4th time.

I agree with people here that all the constant fanboyism and hype is making them kind of dislike The Wire. I can easily see how that has happened, because the same happened with me and The Sopranos. I just cannot get into it. Loads of my friends constantly badgering me telling me how great it is, yet I just don't see it. Sure, there are some really great bits (the Pine Barrens episode being a particular favourite of mine :D), but I dunno. I think it was just hyped too much for me.

I've been really tempted to start watching The Shield and Deadwood, but when I look at the shelf, all I want to do is watch The Wire again. Especially since one of my friends recently started watching it for the first time.

In my opinion, it is the best show of the decade. But thats just my opinion. Everyones opinion is valid*

*apart from anyone who says Ugly Betty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Elmo wrote: »

My point being that The Wire is a difficult show, you do have to be "in a mood" to watch it as a series.

Come off it, it's hardly rocket science. Clearly it's not as simplistic as 99% of modern tv but that's why it appealed to so many people.

For me it's The Wire. Closely followed by The West Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Oh yes (thank you Rowley), Little Britain :D
    The Fast Show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Shows that I have enjoyed over the last decade

Futurama
    Arrested Development
    My Name is Earl
    West Wing
    The Wire
    Firefly