Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Inquiries

• 12-06-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Just how many government inquiries are being held at the moment? I read some of the (online) UK newspapers and they don't seem to report on any (or virtually none) in the UK.

Is Ireland the only country that has inquiries and at the end the inquiry has no mandate to fine/summons anyone.

Or am I too old to understand all this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Good question. I was just thinking along those lines as I heard an interview on the radio this week where the journalist/interviewer rattled off a list of them. Sorry I didn't write them all down now, and I can't remember which programme it was, probably RTE news. It beggars belief that so much money is spent on enquiries, and they go on for years without much in the way of consequences. If there is something suspected then just hand it to the Detective Unit and let them get on with it. If they find anything, bring someone to TRIAL, not to ENQUIRY. I also wonder if other countries have this system in place. Seems like (a) a soft option, (b) an expensive option, and (c) a drag-it-out-for-so-long-that-everyone-has-forgotten-what-it-was-all-about-and-eventually-nobody-cares option.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I agree entirely with everything you said, Jellybaby1. Especially your three summary reasons (I know "reasons" is not the correct word but for the life of me, I cannot think of the correct one; see my next thread!).

Advertisement