Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop battery replacement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I have a dell inspiron 1300, which I thought was just fit for scrap but I unstilled a lot of stuff, defragmented etc. and now it's actually ok!

I need a new battery though, the current (no pun intended) is a HD438 14.8V 29WH.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5200mAh-Replacement-Latitude-Inspiron-Compatible/dp/B006MDVMH4/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359289853&sr=1-4

Looking at this battery which claims to be a suitable replacement, however it is only 11.1V

I know it's expensive but I would probably buy a battery from Dell themselves. I got a battery for a Toshiba on Ebay a few years ago and it only took enough charge for 30 mins of use....and then quickly died. The seller denied everything and it was going to be expensive to send it back. My Dell battery is also on its last legs and so i'm going to buy one from Dell pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

From my experience buying batteries is a hit or miss affair. I'm a heavy laptop user and have had the same cheap battery for 18 months. The Dell battery I had before that(4 times the price) was a dud began to deteriorate after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I know it's expensive but I would probably buy a battery from Dell themselves. I got a battery for a Toshiba on Ebay a few years ago and it only took enough charge for 30 mins of use....and then quickly died. The seller denied everything and it was going to be expensive to send it back. My Dell battery is also on its last legs and so i'm going to buy one from Dell pretty soon.

YEah it's just hard to justify a proper battery for such an old laptop... prob going to get a new one soon, once a see the perfect offer for me! don't need a battery that badly as just use it around the house, have a hp touchpad for out and about that does me! So thought a cheap battery might be worth investing in, but laptop is about 8 years old I think so not worth the expensive of a proper one! What I can't understand is the voltage does it need to be the same as the original? Or can it be lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Sorry to hijack the thread. I have a well looked after 4year old Inspiron 1525 which still runs flawlessly apart from the battery lasting less than 20 mins. I use it for work and its always plugged in when in use as it doesn't really need to be portable. I can live wiyh the inconvenience as i have another laptop and an ipad. Is there any danger in having a worn battery in it, or would I be better off putting a new one in. I have no intention of paying €120 for a genuine dell battery for such an old machine. Who are the better regarded generic sellers? I see some on amazon for between 10-30 euro, presume these are just cack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

mickeyk wrote: »
    Is there any danger in having a worn battery

No, but if it makes you feel better, you can remove the battery. The laptop will work just as well on the "charger" (power supply) only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement