Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Man On Earth

Options
  • 02-03-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Possible spoilers further down, but not really spoilers, as it all happens in the 1st episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230454/
    THE LAST MAN ON EARTH is a new single-camera comedy about the life and adventures of the last man on earth. PHIL MILLER (Forte) was once just an average guy who loved his family and hated his job at the bank - now he's humanity's last hope. Will he ever find another person alive on the planet? Would hoping that she is a female be asking too much?
    The first bit was kinda funny, meeting the woman was kinda funny, but unless he kills her shortly, I can't see myself watching much more of it.

Also, the "nagging wife" thing has been done before. Can't see it lasting unless a 3rd wheel is introduced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heard amazing things about it, and with two strong comedic leads in Forte and Schaal - and Phil Lord and Chris Miller behind it too (directors of 21 / 22 Jump Street and The Lego Movie) - it should have been excellent!

But it was.. passable.. at best. Some strong laughs but definitely wore a bit thin as it went on.

Biggest laugh I got:
    going through the names of the various balls with faces at the bar.. "Terence.. Trent.. Darby"

Will watch a few more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was a few laughs not sure if it can work long term to be honest it seems like a couple of episodes gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really enjoyed it. Better than most of the sitcoms out there at the moment...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I stopped watching 2/3rds in as I was bored out of my skull; sorry but I guess it's not my type of comedy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I really enjoyed it. The 'few laughs' is a 'few laughs' more than most half hour comedies airing at the moment.

It feels like the antitheses of a multi-cam sitcom which I'm all for. Will have to see if it can keep the concept working over a full or multiple seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

I liked this first double episode but I'm struggling to see how this could go beyond 1 season. It's on Fox though so I guess there's a good chance it won't last beyond 1 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I half enjoyed it, mostly because I love Will Forte.

The bit where he was driving around saying hello in different languages was typical of his humour. "Chinese Hello".

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I live in Tucson, and I'd have to say I probably would move to the coast if the apocalypse happened. I can't imagine not having AC during the summer.

Well now there is 3rd wheel in play it might get more interesting.

If I was the last man on earth I'd be very happy with who the 3rd wheel is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

what a kick in the teeth, marry yerone and then january jones comes along, what are the odds, :eek::eek:

also wtf was she doing driving a limo :D:D

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    what a kick in the teeth, marry yerone and then january jones comes along, what are the odds, :eek::eek:

also wtf was she doing driving a limo :D:D

Why not? :pac:

I'd be in a tank or just driving around in a big feck off Boeing (after I learned how to pilot it of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Caught up with this today. Sad to say I identify with the guy. Who needs plumbing when you have an excrement pool and a Margarita pool. I think we'll definitely be looking into the prospects of an open marriage or a wife-killing. Whichever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

ya, its reaching make or break time now that JJ has entered, i'll keep tuned in for another bit but i'm starting to not feel it. Although if their are lines like "there really is no wrong way to use the margharita poo"l

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was a bit worried after the first couple of episodes, but I'm starting to see where they're going and I'm definitely enjoying it more. I'm just worried if they can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

He has yo get rid of the wife now with blonde on the case. Him playing racket ball is very funny with just f1uvking the balls every where and trying to hit them.

Don't no how there going to keep the show fresh with just three of them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

naughto wrote: »
    He has yo get rid of the wife now with blonde on the case. Him playing racket ball is very funny with just f1uvking the balls every where and trying to hit them.

Don't no how there going to keep the show fresh with just three of them
    IMO expect more women. It's called Last Man On Earth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

IMO expect more women. It's called Last Man On Earth ;)

Great as long as there like blondie and not the other yoke.

Well now fireworks!

Was there two episodes last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Deco99 wrote: »
    Was there two episodes last night?

Yes, episodes 5 and 6.

• Advertisement

I like Mel Rodriguez, so glad to see him join the cast. I wonder how many more people will show up.

Yes, episodes 5 and 6.

Havent watched yet but thats usually the death knell for a tv show when they start doubling up?

Havent watched yet but thats usually the death knell for a tv show when they start doubling up?

Not necessarily. I think Fox had always planned this scheduling for this particular show. The ratings are doing well so far, so it's by no means dead in the water...

Some of that was hilarious. Phil is an @sshole.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Some of that was hilarious. Phil is an @sshole.

Not being smart but what was funny? The last 3 episodes have been meh.

Not being smart but what was funny? The last 3 episodes have been meh.

Not being funny but why keep watching?

I just find Will Forte innately funny.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not being funny but why keep watching?

I just find Will Forte innately funny.

I stuck with it in the hope it would change. The first episodes were funny exploring the last people on earth situation but since it became horndog chases blonde its been poor. I wont be as quick to tune in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

I like it but it can only go so far if its just about Phil trying to get into Melissa's pants constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

phil being a dick is getting old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

phil being a dick is getting old
    yes and the episode when he drove Todd out and back again seemed like it would be a turning point but no, back to the same old horn dog/dick head next episode.

Advertisement